Milk Recommendations?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMilk Recommendations?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This is a little bit dumb but can anyone recommend a brand of milk (non-uht) to get at the supermarket? there are a ton and my past experience in china with milk hasn’t been the best – find it smells weird but that may just be because i’ve grown up drinking skim.

Have tried Bright brand and it sucked, anything better?

Keymaster

I think they add sugar to the milk here because it’s noticeably sweeter. But of the real milk (which comes in a carton and requires refrigeration) there’s 新希望 (“Antiplano” in English) and one other brand but they’re roughly the same. I don’t think I’ve ever seen skim milk in China before.

Participant

Not exactly an answer to your question, but I grew up drinking skim and never liked UHT milk also. I tried the Country Goodness UHT skim milk imported from New Zealand and I think it’s pretty good.

Participant

Thanks Charlie will check it out.

7 – isn’t the NZ stuff pretty expensive usually, though? How long will it last in the fridge after you open it?

Participant

Of the majot brands here MENGNIU seems to have the best reputation *at least it wasn’t implicated in the tainted milk scandal a few years ago). I buy the “high-calcium low-fat” one, which is sometimes hard to find or sells out (they don’t usually stock much of it). However my nutrition expert local (not being sarcastic; she absoultely knows her stuff) friend insists “low fat” means “diluted by water and other additives”. Not sure…. i love the white stuff….

Participant

I’m sure it is more expensive, though I don’t know the price of the other brands. The NZ milk is usually like 20RMB though I think through waifood.com you can get a case of 12 for like 199. My family drinks a carton in like 3 days, so I really don’t know how long it would last beyond that after opening.

My advice on milk is don’t drink it!! Your body will thank you for it.

Is there anyone know where to get “half and half ” in Chengdu?

Participant

haven’t seen half and half, but you can get whole milk at the supermarket. i actually drink my coffee black and then have a cup or one of those cardboard bottles of yogurt. good protein and perhaps calcium, although one can not always be so sure as to whats actually inside.

Participant

@ChrisZiich: Reddit continues to change my life. More than just crazy pictures…

re: the benefits of milk: seems to be one of those topics that divides people; you can cite 20 reasons for not drinking it, but the proponents can turn around and present you with 20 equally persuasive ones….just don’t get started on vaccinating kids! That topic is dynamite in some places!

Just a little science for you, with some links at the bottom of the article for further reading;

http://www.jyi.org/volumes/volume6/issue3/features/lee_and_wei.html

I’m anti ‘milk’ (bovine) specifically, since there are both known and unknown negatives associated with it’s consumption. One perpetual truth is that we did not evolve as a species drinking cows milk, it’s a product of farming, just as wheat is also. Many common foods exist within our food chain primarily because they are big business. Dairy, Wheat, Corn, Sugar, Rape Seed, and many others have been heavily invested in to maximise yield by corporates looking in turn to yield maximum profit.

Participant

Read a great article in The Guardian recently about the natural milk movement (unpasteurised milk). Unfortunately it’s still forbidden in much of the EU but it sounds fascinating. One farmer even hosts “milk tasting” events, similar to wine tasting. he commented that no two glasses of natural milk taste the same and they even have milk connoiseurs in this field. Their main objection to mass-produced milk is the blandness and commodification of what they believe should be a natural, extremely beneficial drink.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    re: the benefits of milk: seems to be one of those topics that divides people; you can cite 20 reasons for not drinking it, but the proponents can turn around and present you with 20 equally persuasive ones….just don’t get started on vaccinating kids! That topic is dynamite in some places!

Yeah, it really depends on who you ask. It contains hormones made for cow (not human) development so it’s not made (chemically speaking) for human consumption. As has already been pointed out, humans did not evolve drinking cow’s milk or eating grains so these are things that our bodies have had to adapt to.

Nutrition is just one of those things that I can’t ever seem to get right. There’s just so much contrasting information out there that it’s exhausting to pick out the truth from the bullshit.

I remember the first food pyramid that I was shown in school and being encouraged to get in 8-11 servings of bread which was all white bread at the time, and sugary cereals which supposedly met the requirements. Oh yeah and we drank lots of milk too.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I remember the first food pyramid that I was shown in school and being encouraged to get in 8-11 servings of bread which was all white bread at the time, and sugary cereals which supposedly met the requirements. Oh yeah and we drank lots of milk too.

I remember that also. My Dad used to harp on about how the Standard American Diet (S.A.D.) is sad, as in pathetic. Turns out the food pyramid was more about promoting the American agriculture industry than about actual health.

Participant

@Brendan: have you seen the doco “Food Inc.”? That’s a pretty damning expose on the meat industry, primarily beef and poultry in the US. But many of teh practices are followed worldwide, including in China….

Quote:
    My advice on milk is don’t drink it!! Your body will thank you for it.

I’m gonna GOMAD for awhile so I can get big like you.

Quote:
    @Brendan: have you seen the doco “Food Inc.”?

I have Ray, and I’d say it was shocking, but then farmers have been introducing substances not approved by the FDA into the food chain for years. The use of Clenbuterol in livestock is a prime example, even though it’s been shown (many years ago) to cause malformation of heart cell tissue. China has been guilty of it’s widespread use in pork.

Rule #1: Be careful what you eat.

Rule #2: Be careful what you eat!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.