Acquiring a Motorcycle License

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAcquiring a Motorcycle License

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant

According to my father-in-law there was a story on last nights news saying anyone caught riding a motorbike in town will be jailed for 15 days.

Participant
    Keymaster

So yeah, apparently there is a big clamp down coming… http://www.thebeijinger.com/blog/2013/12/12/foreigner-motorbike-who-hit-lady-be-deported

Oh man, here we go. Hopefully it’s restricted to the big cities on the east coast. I still see people riding motorcycles inside second ring road almost every day, almost never foreigners though.

Participant

I usually drive inside the second ring road and while I haven’t  been stopped by the police (yet) I have definitely noticed a heavier traffic police presence over the last week or so.  I asked one or two of my Chinese friends who all own large displacement bikes and they told me it’s the same every year in the build up to spring festival, they seem to think that more police on the streets here in Chengdu isn’t directly related to the foreigner in Beijing. They told me the reason is because Traffic cops have a quota of tickets they need to issue and as we get closer to the end of the year it’s somewhat of a mad scramble for the cops to hit their quota.

Having said that a (foreign) friend of mine was stopped by the traffic police a few days ago. He drives a pretty old 250cc bobber style thing. The bike is unregistered and he does not have a Chinese driving license. The police officer asked my friend for his documents, my friend politely told him (in broken Chinese, even though he speaks great Chinese) that he had left all his documents at home. The police officer then proceded to give my friend a 20 minute lecture on how to drive safely in China and then simply let him go! No ticket, no confiscated bike (although the police officer did remove my friends keys from his bike when he was initially stopped, which scared the shit out of him).

I think, until spring festival has passed, try and avoid riding inside the city unless you really have to. Or unless you ride a 49cc toy(not my words, haha) My friends seem to believe once spring festival has passed things will die down again.

But if you must ride stay safe and stay warm. It’s getting colder by the day. Oh, and remember, it’s just the traffic police (white hats and yellow bibs) you need to watch out for, the regular cops don’t seem to give two shits. 🙂

Participant

Yeah, looking at that Beijinger link it looks like that guy got deported for getting internet famous and not having a proper visa/working situation. Honestly, the same thing would probably happen in the US if somebody there illegally suddenly got a million youtube hits. Kind of a sad story, but at least I learned some new Chinese: 碰瓷, peng4ci2, hit porcelain, to fake an injury to get rich off the lawsuit.

Keymaster

Kind of a sad story, but at least I learned some new Chinese: 碰瓷, peng4ci2, hit porcelain, to fake an injury to get rich off the lawsuit.

Really cool, I did not know that. Description on that here.

Participant

Man if you’ve been in that situation, you’ll know how infuriating and helpless he feels: touch someone, roll on the road, hostile crowd gathers, extort money, here’s my wallet, oh you want a new ipad too?, sure, oh your kitchen needs a renovation? let me pay for that too. 6 months later, “my back hurts again”. out comes the wallet. 🙁

Participant

The easiest way is to hook up with a motorcycle dealer(ask your local friends), where you can actually buy a Legit license for about 1500 RMB.  I am about to get mine soon.  It still would cost you 1200RMB, if you go through the official test and driving school; not to mention you have to wait at least 2 months. (Driver’s license is normally 4 months)

Keymaster

The easiest way is to hook up with a motorcycle dealer(ask your local friends), where you can actually buy a Legit license for about 1500 RMB.

Buying a license from a motorcycle dealer for 1,500 rmb doesn’t sound very legit!

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.