Moving to Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMoving to Chengdu

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello everyone,

My name is Marius, and I’m planning on doing an internship in Chengdu during September/October or October/November. I will arrange this through an organisation who will take care of getting me a shared appartement (on the Southside of Chengdu). So one of the first things I’m trying to get into is doing some proper budgetting. As I said, a roof over my head is being provided.

I was thinking of spending about 800 RMB a week. 80 per week day (food and public transport), and 400 RMB on the weekends (food and trips around the area/occasional beer out on the town). Do you consider this to be a realistic budget? Or should I budget more/less per week. I want to know, because when I can take money of this budget, I can spend it on travelling after I finished my internship.

Any help/tips are sincerely appreciated. I already did some research, but would really like to have some feedback from you guys, since you’re living the Chengdu life on a daily basis. The money should be enough, but still.

Participant

Anyone able to share some thoughts on this subject. It would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The answer to your question is a little subjective Marius, we have no idea what your lifestyle is like, and you don’t take into account any unforeseen events or wants. Living on a ‘low’ budget is possible here obviously, and having your accommodation covered goes a long way to helping with that, but living at bare minimum won’t be much fun! You’ll also be eating frugally, which might be fine for you, but would personally kill me. Personally I’d advise something like $200 a week budget (minimum), and if you end up with money left over when you decide to travel, all well and good. Again though this is subjective. I can at least say you are better off coming with more rather than less so you at least have contingency for anything yet unaccounted for.

Good luck.

Participant

Hi Marius,

I am a local in Chengdu.Your budget 800 RMB a week is same as my salary per week.I think you would enjoy in chengdu at your ease.Chengdu living cost is mainly on house rent,if this cost is zero,you can save a lot.And more if you usually cook by yourselves, it is save more.Sichuan is a agricuture province,which have abundant of meat and vegetables,eatting is so nice!

It is up to your expenses ways!

Welcome to Chengdu!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.