Moving to Chengdu very very soon

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMoving to Chengdu very very soon

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

We will be moving to Chengdu in 2.5 weeks time. We were advised not to bring food, both perishable and no perishable in our shipment as customs do not allow it. Is this true? Are they really strict?

Participant

I just arrived in Chengdu the other day and carried on a lot of food and snacks and didn’t have a problem. I think as long as you don’t bring any fresh fruit, milk products or meat you should be ok. You may not want to stuff your bag so full with food though, unless its something special, you can find most foreign items in Chengdu.

Participant

Thanks Justin. We will bringing some food items in our luggages. However, we were advised by our mover not to bring any food in our shipment/unaccompanied baggage so as not to face problems with customs. Is it the same case as yours?

Participant

I didn’t have any unaccompanied baggage, so I can’t say. I don’t think a few items in your luggage will be a problem though.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    However, we were advised by our mover not to bring any food in our shipment/unaccompanied baggage so as not to face problems with customs. Is it the same case as yours?

I brought a lot of food with me the last time I came from the States, too. I doubt you’ll have a problem.

Quote:
    you can find most foreign items in Chengdu.

So true. I read this related article just the other day: The Shrinking List of Things You Can’t Buy in China

I think the rule of thumb should be if you can source it here, just avoid the potential hassle and loss of bringing anything beyond the essential. If you use any nutritional supplements then I’d say bring a supply of those to last an interim period. Same goes for any cosmetics, meds, and toiletries. Some items may be more difficult to obtain once here, but nothing is unobtainable, and you can always come to the forum and seek advice on particular items anyway.

Good luck on the jump!

Participant

I get the sense that Grace will be sending food in unaccompanied luggage with a relocation/moving company I assume. If that is the case, then yes, you are better off not packing food in those unaccompanied items. Bring them in you accompanied luggage when you travel if you must. Your unaccompanied luggage must be declared to customs and food items could cause delays, sometimes lengthy ones.

Participant

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate it.

Participant

** Note from forum administrator: this post was posted from Maxxelli **

Hi all,

Maybe a bit late, but I have the same problem with the food. In the near future, I am moving to Chengdu. My company works with Maxxelli Real Estate, a relocation firm.

I wanted to bring some local snacks and food with me (also medicines). A girl of Maxxelli said that I could send my goods to Maxxelli. Besides this, they recommended me not to bring too much from Europe, because I can buy a lot European food here.

Participant

Is Grace in Chengdu now then?

Participant

Yup. I’m here already.

When I got on a plane and headed to Chengdu, I was all happy abt getting a really good airfare from india on wego.co.in i packed so many things to be well prepared but that was pretty pointless in the end. Reading lists like that article is the only downside, but once u spend a bit of time here you’ll be happy. Part of travelling is adjusting to the things u can do without eh? I’m not actually in Chengdu anymore but it’s nice to see how other pple are getting on there

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.