My Students Have Been Talking About This All Week

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMy Students Have Been Talking About This All Week

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey, you know how China loves all things Korean, well the before and after pics of a Korean beauty pageant has been big news here. This story also got alot of attention on reddit cos of the uncanny similarity of all the contestants.

koreans.jpg

And this is just nuts…http://gawker.com/plastic-surgery-blamed-for-making-all-miss-korea-contes-480907455

Participant

surgical inflatable dolls=_=

Not into Korean at all…

Participant

My school has 4 branches. Every class i start with “so who has some interesting news?”. All 4 classes mentioned this! One girl: “They only look the same to foreigners. To Asians they look different”. WTF?

This never ceases to amaze me, though I’ve seen so many instances of girls feeling pressured to conform to the accepted (??) ideal.

For me the images on the right are infinitely more attractive than the string of alien synthetic dolls on the left. Number 6 goes from being uniquely attractive to unimaginatively same. They look like they all had the same make up artist/dresser.

Keymaster

You see the same thing all the time in China, this is definitely not restricted to Korea. In Chengdu I see 50+ advertisements for cosmetic surgery daily, it is a huge business here. But basically the basic truth of things like beauty pageants and commercial photography is that makeup, lighting, and professional photography is capable of incredible, unbelievable things. Total transformation.

Quote:
    One girl: “They only look the same to foreigners. To Asians they look different”. WTF?

I’ve heard this before also, this is fascinating to me. They all have dark eyes, dark hair, small noses, yellow skin. Of course you can discern differences between them but they are genetically pretty homogenous whereas “foreigners” (ie: all other non-Chinese humans) have ancestry and features that can be incredibly varied. I’m half German and I grew up with other Americans with ancestry from everywhere you can imagine… asia, latin america, europe, the middle east, native american, etc.

Participant

@brendan: I’ll take the left-hand path, thanks…

No. 13 can’t be the same girl. What is this sorcery?

Participant

Those photos found to be faked/PS’d and not actually all “look-alike” clones as described.. although it’s true S.Korea has the most plastic surgery per capita than anywhere else in the world.

Silly piece of news, caught it on my favorite news show, TYT 😀

Participant

mouths+teeth on the left are all the same! 🙂

Participant

Really, its a fake? Photoshopped? Please, tell me that the cat with the bow-tie is legit…faith. no. more…

Participant

at my former work place a woman who was my boss, brought in some pics of herself. I didn’t quite get it at the time, not to mentioned I actually didn’t recognise her at first. Then I kinda figured it was her and was about to make a comment on how pretty she looked at her high school graduation which must’ve been more then 10 years ago. Luckily, I said something general instead only to learn later that the pics were taken just a month ago. I mean all was heavily photoshopped.

Participant

Papa with a tie is absolutely real 😀 I’ll dig up the little ducky and moose caps they had on together sometime..even cuter.

The photos on the right aren’t the girls at some earlier age, it’s the girls at the actual contest! Of course the left-hand photos are fake, there’s no make-up in the world that could make some of the fug ‘beauty contest’ women on the right look like their counterparts on the left…

Participant

Well i was fooled, but that happens alot. My tech-savvy students were also duped. I weep for the future…

@ ng so fan: yeah, now that i look at those mouths on the left, they are all identical! Well spotted ….

Participant

you are more sensitive about cats! 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.