Need Help with the Language Barrier

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionNeed Help with the Language Barrier

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello there,

By now, my friend and I have spent a good 7 days apartment hunting and we are exhausted. The language barrier is simply too much. In addition, two foreigners signal cash and are easy to throw around.

Thus, we turn to the community: is there anyone that speaks Chinese and English and who has time on Friday and/or Saturday to come around with us to check apartments (or even next week)? Our area of interest is the 1st and 2nd ring road of South-East Chengdu (Jioyanqiao,Ke Hua Bei Lu, Niuwangmiao, etc)

We will treat you to a nice dinner of your choice afterwards. You will also have our undying thanks for helping us find our dream home after so much trouble.

Nele

Participant

Nele

I can help you 🙂 I give you my number later.

Participant

Thanks Linka, Im already dialing your number 🙂

So much love in this forum <3

Keymaster

Linka is a lifesaver. Apartment shopping with a Chinese person will make things so much easier.

Participant

Linka was an angel today 🙂 thanks a million! The search continues, but I have a few good options now that I discovered with her today.

All you need is Love!

Participant

I like using the soufun.com website to search for rental listings. Here is a listing of 2bdrm units in JiuYanQiao between 2000 and 3000 RMB. What I do is use the Firefox browser with the Perapera-kun plugin which translates the Chinese in tooltips as you mouse-over characters. Or you could use the Google Chrome browser which does automatic translation of the entire page.

http://zu.cd.soufun.com/house-a0130-b01196/c22000-d23000-g22-t24/

Also check out their map feature which I’ve found super helpful finding units in the exact block or complex you’re interested in.

http://zu.cd.soufun.com/map/

When you find a unit with pictures that you like, I’d ask a Chinese speaking friend to help you call the agent’s phone number listed. Make sure to ask if the specific unit is still available and to confirm that any details described on the ad is actually true. Sometimes they will list that there is an elevator but in actuality its a walk-up. I think they just sometimes copy details from another agents ad without making sure its accurate. Also ask if they took the pictures themselves and/or have been to the unit. When scheduling a time to see a unit, ask if they have the keys to enter the unit or whether they have to still get it from the landlord otherwise you might arrive at their office and they will say they don’t have the key yet and do you want to see some other units while you wait for the landlord to come in a couple hours.

Participant

Hi Nele

It’s just a little thing, i was happy i can help, give me a call if you need some more help tomorrow, i will come 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.