New China Visa Rules?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionNew China Visa Rules?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Got a nasty surprise this morning. My employer informed me that my app for a working visa was refused. Apparently the new rule is if you’ve worked here for 5 years, you gotta leave for one whole year, regardless of whether or not you’ve left China during that time (i leave every year for 3 or 4 months). When we told them that I’ve left every year, they looked at my visa entry/exit stamps and said “3 months is not leaving China. A holiday is not sufficient” . As always, when the visa hammer hits, there is no warning…

Anyone else had any visa hassles/experiences recently….?

Keymaster

I haven’t heard of this happening to anyone – what kind of visa have you been on F-visa, Z-visa? Seems completely arbitrary that they would ask foreign experts to just leave for a year. I’ve been hearing that F-visas are more difficult to acquire now.

Keymaster

I haven’t heard of this happening to anyone – what kind of visa have you been on F-visa, Z-visa? Seems completely arbitrary that they would ask foreign experts to just leave for a year. I’ve been hearing that F-visas are more difficult to acquire now.

Participant

You can get round this by changing your visa type. Go on a student visa for 6 months then you can reapply.

Participant

You can get round this by changing your visa type. Go on a student visa for 6 months then you can reapply.

Participant
    Quote:

This rule has been about for ages. Its probably not that common that a person gets to 5 years working here though.

Participant
    Quote:

This rule has been about for ages. Its probably not that common that a person gets to 5 years working here though.

Participant

@Charlie: On a business visa which was in the process of being turned into a working visa…

@AM
    : i know man, but in the past if you left for any length of time it was considered that you’d “left China” and the 5 year countdown would start again. Man, lotsa my buddies been working 5 years + here….maybe the visa officer didn’t like my new haircut (not beyond the realms of possibility)

Participant

@Charlie: On a business visa which was in the process of being turned into a working visa…

@AM
    : i know man, but in the past if you left for any length of time it was considered that you’d “left China” and the 5 year countdown would start again. Man, lotsa my buddies been working 5 years + here….maybe the visa officer didn’t like my new haircut (not beyond the realms of possibility)

Keymaster
    Quote:
    On a business visa which was in the process of being turned into a working visa…

I don’t know much about the situation but I wonder if the F-visa was the cause of your troubles. About 6-8 months ago the people that have been helping me with visas for years (Shan Shui, who I recommend you consult if you face visa troubles) told me in very certain terms: “We can no longer provide an F-visa for you, you must switch to a Z-visa because the laws have changed”.

If you haven’t already, I would give them a call and see if there’s any way they can help you.

Quote:

I’ve been working here for 5 years though and have never heard of this particular rule. I know a lot of people who’ve been here for 5+ years (and even some for 10+ years) but I haven’t heard of this mentioned until now for some reason.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    On a business visa which was in the process of being turned into a working visa…

I don’t know much about the situation but I wonder if the F-visa was the cause of your troubles. About 6-8 months ago the people that have been helping me with visas for years (Shan Shui, who I recommend you consult if you face visa troubles) told me in very certain terms: “We can no longer provide an F-visa for you, you must switch to a Z-visa because the laws have changed”.

If you haven’t already, I would give them a call and see if there’s any way they can help you.

Quote:

I’ve been working here for 5 years though and have never heard of this particular rule. I know a lot of people who’ve been here for 5+ years (and even some for 10+ years) but I haven’t heard of this mentioned until now for some reason.

Participant

As far as I knew it only applied to Z-visas. A couple of my friends have faced the same problem. Leave for a year or go on to a student visa were their choices.

Quote:

I was told that it was 5 years working for the same company. The rules are different if you own a company. It’s happened to several of my friends, all teachers. One will leave this summer because of it.

Participant

As far as I knew it only applied to Z-visas. A couple of my friends have faced the same problem. Leave for a year or go on to a student visa were their choices.

Quote:

I was told that it was 5 years working for the same company. The rules are different if you own a company. It’s happened to several of my friends, all teachers. One will leave this summer because of it.

Participant

Maybe i oughtta accept one of the many marriage proposals local women keep throwing at me….:) or maybe 🙁

Participant

Maybe i oughtta accept one of the many marriage proposals local women keep throwing at me….:) or maybe 🙁

Keymaster
    Quote:

So it’s every 5-years of being on a Z-visa that’s the restriction? That would explain why I haven’t heard of it, until recently almost everyone I knew (including myself) was on an F-visa.

Quote:

That’s one way to do it, but my understanding is that you cannot legally work on the marriage visa, lol. Visa laws in China make absolutely no sense.

Keymaster
    Quote:

So it’s every 5-years of being on a Z-visa that’s the restriction? That would explain why I haven’t heard of it, until recently almost everyone I knew (including myself) was on an F-visa.

Quote:

That’s one way to do it, but my understanding is that you cannot legally work on the marriage visa, lol. Visa laws in China make absolutely no sense.

Participant
    Quote:
    That’s one way to do it, but my understanding is that you cannot legally work on the marriage visa, lol

That is true but the PSB will never enforce that rule.

Charlie, I edited an earlier post with a response.

Participant
    Quote:
    That’s one way to do it, but my understanding is that you cannot legally work on the marriage visa, lol

That is true but the PSB will never enforce that rule.

Charlie, I edited an earlier post with a response.

Participant

How to get 10 posts in 4 minutes: visa scare thread!

@AM you may be right re same co. for 5 years. I been working for my place for 6 years. Loyal, like a silly little dog….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.