Grooves: Electronic Sunshine @ Machu Picchu

HomeForumsIn ChengduGrooves: Electronic Sunshine @ Machu Picchu

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on Chengdu Living. Been lurking around for a while – but never posted anything. Hello!

Me and a friend just started a new night – playing some music we love. Music for listening. Every Sunday from 21:00 – 1:00 at the new Machu Pichu 2. The flyer reads: “Grooves – Balearic. Electronic. Sunshine.”

“Balearic. Electronic. Sunshine” kinda giving a rough idea about the direction the music might be going… “Balearic” isn’t really a genre or a style of music. You might wanna check this blogpost Balearic Dreams – Your Mind is on Vacation” (need a vpn for this) to get a rough definition of what “balearic” could stands for. I would mainly be trying to play music coming from a balearic edge, music for listening, chill music – long before the over-used term “chill music” was invented – with the occasional dub, reggae, african, caribbean, soul, jazz, rock, no wave, leftfield song thrown in for good measure (that ‘s what “sunshine” on the flyer could stand for – beside just being a wordplay). “Electronic” – that’s where Hiroshi comes into play – mainly playing music coming from a deep house angle. Very organic, very warm – often embracing ambient, jazz, world grooves – as well as some more clubby sounds…

Not sure where this musical event is going to take us – put we are hoping to add it as a regular Sunday gig to the musical map of Chengdu…

Cheers; Fiete

P.S.: Charlie – could you add this event to the “February Events in Chengdu” post? Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Keymaster

Hi everyone! This is my first post on Chengdu Living. Been lurking around for a while – but never posted anything. Hello!

Welcome!

Charlie – could you add this event to the “February Events in Chengdu” post? Thanks.

Sure, no problem. Good luck with your night at Machu Picchu!

For anyone who hasn’t been, here’s the address and location: New Machu Picchu

Participant

Fiete!  I’ve heard you spin on a couple of occasions now.  Super eclectic.  Definitely enjoy the soul/funk/disco you’ve played.  Not often you hear these styles thrown in the mix in world controlled by whack digital robot bandsaw music (brostep).

Sunday’s a perfect time for chilled out music.  Looking forward to catching you and Hiroshi again!

Participant

Henry Rollins on EDM. I love Henry but dont necessarily agree with his sentiments here :). Met him years ago. Absolutely terrifying in person 🙂

Participant

@Ray  Hah, that was sampled by Modeselektor at the start of one of their mixes

Participant

@AM: Nice track. I remember seeing Fiete DJ years ago and even then he mixed things up really well. Looking forward to Sunday night.

Keymaster

Henry Rollins on EDM. I love Henry but dont necessarily agree with his sentiments here :). Met him years ago. Absolutely terrifying in person :)

That sample was famously flipped by AC Slater in this track, this was on a mixtape I made maybe 4 years ago:

Henry Rollins is awesome though, I remember when he was a superstar during the “I Am a Liar” era in the mid-1990’s.

@Ray Hah, that was sampled by Modeselektor at the start of one of their mixes

Haha, never heard this before.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.