New Friends in Chengdu?

HomeForumsIn ChengduNew Friends in Chengdu?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 99 total)
  • Author

Firstly, I must say I am loving ChengduLiving.com. I’m glad I stumbled upon this site.

Anyway, my name is Vince, a 21 year old college student from the US.

I’m here for a psychology research project to study resilience/thriving in children affected by natural disasters (2008 quake). So I will be in Chengdu for my summer. I arrived by myself a few days ago, living near Xinnanmen Bus Station, and I want to know where I can meet other Americans or foreigners around my age? I came here knowing zeroooo people. I’m sure there are similar topics like this already, and I have heard of places like The Bookworm or Cafe Paname. Any other suggestions?

or (shameless plug coming) if anyone wants to hangout / show some of the city to a North Carolina boy, that would be nice too!

My email is [email protected]

(have not purchased a mobile yet)

Cheers,

Vince

May be you can find some Americans in the Sichuan university

not far from Xinnanmen Bus Station

a lot of foreigners around there, and jiuyanqiao pub street is nearly

My email is [email protected]

I am gland to help you,sorry about my english.

Keymaster

Welcome to Chengdu, Vince!

The Bookworm and Paname are good places to meet foreigners. If you want to meet English speaking Chinese people, English corner (in the Sichuan University parking lot Friday evenings at 8pm) is a good place to do that.

Good luck, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask on here.

Participant

Your psychology research sounds intriguing,in which towns are you conducting your research? I’d be down to hang out and help you get your bearings in Chengdu. Yeah Expat bars are okay for meeting people, but some folks are a bit snobbish when it comes to letting new people into “their circle”. I know this sounds “highschool-ish” but I suppose it depends on where you go, and what kind of night it is.

Still no cellphone? A basic cellphone with chinese/english texting ability (you will lose it or have it stolen at least twice) will make your life a lot easier.

take care.

Hi everyone!

Nice to read that I’m not the only one landing in Chengdu with zeroooo contact!

I will arrive on 1st of July and will stay in Chengdu a few months.

It is really cool to read all these advices, I feel a little bit less lost!!

See you!

ps: Charlie, I read your blog, you have awesome tastes in music!

Keymaster

Thank you! Welcome to Chengdu. 🙂

Participant

I arrived in Chengdu in October knowing no one and having no idea where I would even live or study. But I quickly met many great people, so I’m sure you’ll do fine.

You asked about meeting foreigners, but I think you’d do better to meet locals. I agree that the English Corner at 川大, which starts at 19:00 Fridays in front of the huge gym, is a good place to meet locals who both speak English and want to meet foreigners. If you speak Chinese, the bar/café Machu Picchu is a recommended hangout. Also, join the Chengdu group on CouchSurfing.org

If you really want to meet other foreigners, you can hang out at places like Cafe Paname / Jellyfish, The Underground Bar (which isn’t), or Little Bar. If you’re more comfortable with cynical old 老外 who probably have warrants out for their arrest back home, I can highly recommend the Shamrock.

hi there.

Im spending my summer in Chengdu as well. I just got here from Canada, seeking for some same kinds. Although I was born in here but at the time I left Chengdu, it was way long ago, which turns out I dont have many friends in here.

I figured it would be good to know some guys around my age.

btw, im 20

Participant

Proposal: New folks should host a housewarming party and hopefully other folks on CL forum will attend. This way, we can avoid paying 20+ RMB per beer getting to know each other at a bar that most likely plays evil music. However, at Jah bar I’ll gladly pay 20RMB for BeerLao great company, and an investment in the local live music scene.

Keymaster

Me too. Jah bar is a great meetup spot. I’m down to go this weekend assuming it doesn’t rain like last week.

Hey guys,

So as an update – I have had lots of success with meetings friends while in CD!

But of course I am game if you guys are planning to do a meetup at Jah Bar, I am totally in. When during weekend were you guys thinking?

Participant

Hi Vince,

How long are you here till? I’m an American from Hawaii who will be coming to Chengdu on July 22nd for an internship (until January 25th). Send me an e-mail if you will still be in Chengdu after July 22nd. My e-mail is [email protected].

Cheers,

BJ

Hello everyone,

I will come to Chengdu in July (and will stay a year)so I’m looking for English speakers folks to hang out with as I, sadly, don’t speak a word of chinese.

Btw congrats to the webmaster for this amazing website, it has been really helpful !

Cheers !

Guigz

Participant

Hey Guigz,

Where are you from? Why are you coming to Chengdu? I’ll be arriving in Chengdu in July too. Are you a student?

Cheers,

BJ

Hello Big Joe,

Sorry I completely forgot to introduce myself ! I’m a 25yo french guy and I will come to Chengdu for work. Don’t know yet when I will arrive exactly, the visas thing is taking a lot of time, but it should be end of July max…

Guigz

Participant

Hello Guigz,

I’m going to Chengdu for the same reason! Send me an e-mail, and let’s get together on the last weekend of July or the first weekend of August. I don’t speak Chinese either.

Cheers,

BJ

Cool I will keep you posted !

Guigz

Participant

was thinking jah bar tonight ~ 10pm.

hasta lluego

Keymaster

I’m down. See you there.

hi guys! im going back to chengdu this July and iv been in the states since middle school…only visited a few times through out these years sooooo i really don know anyone in the city except for my parents and grandparents…lol.

i feel like a stalker but i just read through ur conversation on here. i’d love to meet some of you this summer and just hangout:) wrtie me an email at [email protected] or add me on fb:) Oh also check out my tumblr its en-vy.tumblr.com i share it with my bestfrand ha. anyway, contact me! hope to meet you sometime SOONNN.

xoxo!!

ivy

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 99 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.