New Zealand Milk Banned in China

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionNew Zealand Milk Banned in China

• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Avatar photoRay.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

An important news from the food market in China…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23565651

This was a real surprise, Fonterra are world famous for the quality/purity of their Whey product which is why it’s taken as the gold standard for protein supplement manufacture. Interesting that this has happened just ahead of the proposed opening of restrictions placed on milk products obtained in HK, which will aparently take place in October.

Participant

I think is an extraordinary problem in production processes, sure now the image of this company is compromised in China…

Keymaster

China bans New Zealand food products due to tainted milk formula… there’s a good joke here somewhere.

Sucks to be needing milk powder in China. You don’t want domestic milk and now 80% of all the imported milk is tainted, too.

Participant

Breast feed.

80% of all the imported milk is tainted

Has someone cited that figure? Obviously BS.

Breast feed.

Mind blown.

Keymaster

80% of all the imported milk is tainted

Has someone cited that figure? Obviously BS.

It was cited in the BBC article linked above, that 80% of all imported dairy products in China originate in New Zealand:

Nearly 80% of dairy products imported by China come from New Zealand, according to state media.

Pretty honest and straight forward for New Zealand’s Trade Minister to go on record saying “Yeah, you’re right to ban our dairy products”

Ah I think I know what you were saying, just it initially reads like ‘80% of imported milk is tainted’.

Breast feed.

I support this.

and because China: Breastfeeding Service Now Available to Adults in Shenzhen

Keymaster

Ah I think I know what you were saying, just it initially reads like ’80% of imported milk is tainted’.

Despite the problems it creates, I can imagine how much the central government is enjoying this. “Even New Zealand has tainted dairy products, our food quality woes are completely normal!”

“China’s top quality watchdog says…”

Despite the problems it creates…

Most definitely loving it. One or two ‘journalists’ probably enjoyed a red envelope or two as well.

Participant

RE: “breast feed” – I think it’s common for women to breast feed until 6 months or so, but after that, usually they’re back at work. It’s not easy to breast feed a baby full time when you’ve got to work, full time..hence milk formula.

That being said, I’m in OZ right now for work – and not bringing any f’ing milk powder back, my baby is due in December. Everyone from my office seems to be milk powder crazy – loading up everyone who goes overseas with “can you bring me 2 tins!” and they’ve got to reserve the person’s 2 tin limit before anyone else does.. why? Not because of tainted products, but because of imported milk formula price – they can get the same stuff, but it’s almost twice the price, which is like 120rmb more per tin or whatever. If we end up having to buy milk powder, I’ll eat the huge cost difference! Because…..I don’t want to carry a kilo of powder back that lasts a few weeks total, and it seems silly to get yer baby hooked on a potential brand you can’t easily buy in China and have to put in the effort to switch them to something else with great difficulty and potential health side-effects.

I find it amusing that people are so concerned with milk powder, meanwhile their babies are sucking chemical every breath of their life – most of the people I know saving their 120 kuai or whatever per milk tin occasionally, don’t have air purifiers in their homes. Insanity!

My solution: Plan an exit. Get baby to fresh air. Problem solved 😀

Participant
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.