Non midget sized apparel…

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionNon midget sized apparel…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

So I’m sure this has been covered before, and I know TaoBao is the go to source for anything generally unavailable in Chengdu, but is anyone aware of stores selling decent brand/style footwear and clothing within the city?

I’d like to find some decent pairs of jeans for a start, and seeing as my legs don’t qualify as ‘lady boy’ size, I’m so far shit out of luck on that one.

Sneakers/Trainers are another want too, and so far I’ve seen nothing over size 11 US. I’m a 12, so again, SOL.

Also, has anyone been out to Times Outlets recently, and was it a worthwhile trip?

Participant

Dude, i know this is not ideal, but i just had two pairs of shoes ‘professionally” stretched, and the results were surprisingly good. I’m an 11 or 11.5, depends on the brand. I recently bought two pairs of NB’s in the states, got back and found they were slightly too small. The shoe repair store downstairs claimed that they can be stretched a safe max of one size (the cat guarranteed no damage, but if i wanted bigger than one size he said it was “very dangerous”). Anyway, i was sceptical, but it did the trick.

I still get stung by the size differences here and o/s. Bought some undies in the states marked XL (here need xxl) and they are huge, fall around my ankles. i guess you didnt need to know that…anyway, good luck man!

Stretched sneakers, and underwear around your ankles… Nice visual!

Keymaster

Hahahah… sometimes I can get away with getting clothes at Uniqlo (the largest size they have, invariably), other times I just stick to stuff from overseas. For shirts and things, Uniqlo works well because they have pretty high quality stuff. Buying high quality shirts here is tough because they almost always use poor quality cotton which doesn’t feel great. Someone just brought me a shirt from Banana Republic as a gift and this thing feels other-worldly compared to most shirts which I’ve gotten in China. Uniqlo is my go-to place for simple shirts though. Fashionable stuff you gotta get shipped from overseas in my experience. I ordered some LRG shirts off Taobao a year ago and they were hilariously bad quality.

I wear size 46 shoes and nothing not procured on Taobao will fit me, except for shoes at Decathlon which aren’t really something I’d probably to buy anyway (obscure French brands I haven’t heard of). Taobao works great though! Get your girlfriend on that or hit up Taobao Genie.

Vancl.com is where I buy my casual shoes/sandals. Big sizes, cheap and great service (no delivery fee, free exchange)

Taobao for sneakers, just don’t get the cheapest ones…

for Jeans, check the stores in Galleria (Pull & Bear has some bigger larger jeans).

If you ever need to go to Hong Kong for visa purposes, take a shitload of cash! big sizes, and cheaper than the mainland

Participant

I bought a sports jacket once on Taobao. Chose “XXL” and the fit was pretty good but the sleeves only covered like 70% of my arms lol. Fail

maybe you just have freakishly long arms… you might be the missing link 😀

Participant

Routine trips to HK or SG solves this problem 😀

Participant

Decathalon, near the Ikea. Good stuff, high quality, but no jeans — shoes are cool though.

I found Decathlon to be a duffer, but then I’m not into obscure European hiking gear! Go figure! 😉

I just met a guy at my gym who can apparently get plus size sneakers here in Chengdu, so once I’ve seen what he’s got I’ll ask him if he’s okay with me putting his deets on here.

I’m going to check out Pull & Bear at Galleria too, even if it does just turn out to be hilarious. Last time I visited the much hyped Galleria, I was hugely disappointed. And what a depressing area that is around the retail park! I looked at an apartment complex out there, and couldn’t figure why any sane person would choose to live there. I hadn’t factored a possible hiking gear fetish though, so maybe that’s it! A bizzaro world of green and brown canvass clothed zombies out yonder!!

Participant

I checked out Uniqlo yesterday. Gotta agree with Charlie; for simple good quality stuff (with no labels!) its pretty cool (even for a long-legged stork like me). As with HZ, i’ve found Decathlon to be lousy. Never heard of any of those brands, and the range was nothing special.

I’ve just seen a brand new store called ‘The Source’ in Top City, Chunxi Road. Originally from Shanghai, they’re a street wear outfit selling lots of decent brands I haven’t previously seen in Chengdu. As an example they stock Volcom, Cheap Mondays, Pointer, and many other trending labels. Shoe sizes are up to 45 on some designs, though the manager did tell me they can ship in larger sizes from the Shanghai store within 2 days. They had some nice looking pairs in there too.

Keymaster

No kidding, right in Top City. I’ll check that out next time I’m there. That would be great if they can get size 46 shoes shipped from Shanghai. I’ve asked at a lot of places if they can ship larger sizes in and I have yet to find a place that says they can do that. Even Nike and Adidas, which is surprising considering they obviously manufacture very large size shoes for export but evidently they refuse to meet this demand for the domestic market.

What about the prices ? (more expensive than in Europe ?)

Prices are higher, but not as far out as I’ve seen in Chengdu so far.

There is shop sell export cloths and shoes near CHun Xi Lu. Abt Uniclo price. It’s on Qing Shi Qiao street, where they whole sale the seafood.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    There is shop sell export cloths and shoes near CHun Xi Lu. Abt Uniclo price.

What’s the name of the shop?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.