"old" street in 'Du

HomeForumsGeneral Discussion"old" street in 'Du

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Avatar photoRay.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey, got a buddy from o/s coming to visit me here next week. Wants to see old streets (yeah, i know, wrong city for that). Like me, he’s not into the “new/old” thing (ie. Kuanzaixiangzi/Jinli/Qintai Lu. When i say “old” it doesnt have to be Ming/Qing period old, even 30 or 40 years is cool (like Chicken Street, the cool alley that used to be opposite the hotsprings place next to Hongsi Niandai). The dirtier, the better (man, it didnt get any dirtier than Chicken Street!). Any ideas? Maybe we’ll just hit the panda base instead….

Keymaster

I know exactly what you mean when you describe the “new/old” thing, that is exactly what Kuanzhai and Qingtai Lu are.

One place that comes to mind though is Xiaojiahe which is to the west of Yulin. It’s not Ming-dynasty old but it’s really old and has character.

One more thing, I know exactly which alley you’re talking about opposite Age of Red! A bunch of people call that place Funk Street. It’s been renovated recently and has changed a lot, but as you know it used to be this real crazy alley tucked between an area that has changed a lot in previous years. That one alley managed to stay unchanged for a long, long time.

Participant

Yeah Chicken/Funk street used to be pretty wild, the kinda place that becomes an urban legend. we used to sit, drinking 3 kuai beers, eating shaokao, counting the rats (it was absolutely the best rat-watching place in Chengdu), enjoying the endless procession of scantily clad girls walking down to the dark end of the alley. Where were they going? We never found out. Fear? Perhaps. Or maybe we just wanted to keep the mystique of Chicken Street alive….

Yeah man, i’ll check out Xiaojiahe. The dirtier, the better…

Participant

Ive been told by locals at renminpark across the main entrance that behind those building that there is an alley to visit very old streets where people live. Ive never checked it out though cos I was in a hurry. If you go to the Chengdu Super Drug Store and than walk away from tianfu you’ll get there, rightside of jin he hotel.

Participant

@ ye ming: Yeah, i think i know that area, the shops still have the old tiled roofs, so i plan to check it out. Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.