Olympic Weightlifting in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionOlympic Weightlifting in Chengdu

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Since China pretty much collects these medals at the olympics every year, surely it must be possible to train oly lifting somewhere in Chengdu?

I’d love to spend some time on this when I get back, under the eye of a qualified Chinese coach. Does anyone have an idea?

PS How’s your snatch technique, Brendan?

Lu Xiaojun

^ Lu Xiaojun

Participant

Nobody?

Keymaster

I’ve never heard of this in Chengdu, it might be difficult to find a place where a foreigner can train. I would check universities with lifting programs or search on Baidu for something locally. There doesn’t seem to be much info though.

Participant

I’ve actually always wondered the same thing, but never really had the time or inclination to follow up.

Edit: didn’t show up…

http://www.cdsu.edu.cn/en/t2.htm

I missed this post first time around, so thanks to Vincent for prompting me.

I’ve been sitting on an invitation to Sichuan Sports University for a while now. I was first invited a couple of years back by a friend who was training Kung-Fu there, but the timing never worked out. By chance after consulting another friend on training/nutrition this year, he’s put me in touch with a gymnast who’s offered to show me the facilities. I’ve seen some pics of the place and it looks pretty awesome. I wonder if we couldn’t get some East vs West thing going just for kicks. I’ll try and take a look in the next couple of weeks, and post back here.

PS How’s your snatch technique, Brendan?

It’s been a while, so I’d hazard a guess at ‘shabby’. I did just get my squat back to 405 for 6 though, so pretty amped on that. Who knows if that stands up against these crazy Chinese pocket rockets!?

Participant

Definitely let us know what it’s like, Brendan. I had some email correspondence with the Uni recently. Apparently they are currently training for the 12th National Games of the PRC in Liaoning, so it sounds like it would be cool to go and have a look right now!

Snatches, split and jerk, overhead squats, all things I really want to get good at. Seems so much fun to train. Too bad I currently even suck at regular powercleans.

Participant

I still didn’t find any place where you can train the oly lifts as an amateur. Most people don’t even seem to understand why the hell I’m searching for this when I tell them I’m not looking to make any money off it.

I did visit the sports university and found this little gem, so awesome. Unfortunately the coach had no interest in getting me to train there. I went to some office and tried asking about applying for the course but they told me it’s only for professionals. Sigh.

null

I guess it will stay at amateur sewer lifting for me.

null

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.