Outdoor Bar Workouts and Gymnastics in Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduOutdoor Bar Workouts and Gymnastics in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey all, I’m looking to see if anyone else wants to make a little group and do some extreme bar workout type stuff street  here in Chengdu?

So many good locations around the city!  I’ve been at it for about a year and half now and have found it way more rewarding than the average gym workout.  Can also do a heap of plyometric stuff for the legs too if you want to improve vert jump or lower body power.

Also, does anyone know where we could do some really basic adult gymnastics type stuff?  Tumbling, bars rings whatever really!

Keymaster

does anyone know where we could do some really basic adult gymnastics type stuff? Tumbling, bars rings whatever really!

I have no idea where this can be done, but I’m interested also. Shouldn’t be hard to find in China, the gymnastics powerhouse, right?

Participant

Hey, I have no idea where this could be done, but I’m interested in joining!

Participant

Hi I would be interested in this, I think Xinhua park is the best place for it, no traffic just lots of trees, and reeeally big outdoors gym, I’ve seen all sorts of creative workouts there.

But how extreme is extreme?

I’ve bought a pullup bar for my home so I’m currently at 20 pullups in a row, and can sometimes do a half assed muscle up (being able to do many muscle ups would be a noble goal for me). so I’m making progress but I’m a long way from extreme.

I’m currently at 20 pull-ups in a row

That’s Grand-Master status if you’re not kicking yourself up like a hyena!

@rcastevet: Could you be more specific about the workouts you envisage? There’s a little spot right beside the North entrance to LKF that has a whole gamut of bars and spinning things (?) as one example. Maybe with a better idea of the workout, you’ll have more luck finding a place that will work. Perhaps people could submit a photo or two here of any such locations.

I wonder if the Sichuan Sports University would be open to you using their facilities. Be aware those guys will probably leave you for dust though, I’ve looked in on a couple of sessions on campus and there’s some dedicated folk in there.

Keymaster

That’s Grand-Master status if you’re not kicking yourself up like a hyena

That’s what I was thinking… 20 pull ups is impressive.

Participant

20 is mighty impressive unless youre kipping….

Participant

Thanks. No kipping indeed.

I’m not trying to be modest, I’m proud of my progression, but for the word “extreme” I would say you’d need to be able to do multiple muscle ups. and I still have a long way to go for that. but an organised training would probably help with that.  but I think the OP is way gone by now

I can’t believe there’s actually a video of a guy discussing kipping technique as a thing… Crossfit is hilarious.

Just curious turtle, what do you weigh in at?

I think the OP is way gone by now

How so?

Participant

http://spotmebro.com/denis-cyplenkov-hands/
    Definitely uses a qwerty phone….

Participant

I wonder if the Sichuan Sports University would be open to you using their facilities. Be aware those guys will probably leave you for dust though, I’ve looked in on a couple of sessions on campus and there’s some dedicated folk in there.

Have you tried their outdoor squat area? It’s brilliant. (partially joking)

null

Have you tried their outdoor squat area?

No, haha, but I’ve seen guys ‘working out’ in there. I did see a guy squatting 315 in there on my 2nd visit, in jeans and sweater no less.

Keymaster

http://spotmebro.com/denis-cyplenkov-hands/ Definitely uses a qwerty phone….

This is somehow the most gross thing I’ve seen in a while. That guys hands make him look like a monster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acromegaly

Also:

Keymaster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acromegaly

He probably has a dialing wand

He probably has a dialing wand

Classic.

Participant

Sorry guys, I did indeed leave Chengdu on short notice. For reference this is the kind of thing I was talking about:

As far as places in Chengdu go, I was in the south and the best spot I found was under the 2nd ring road on ren min nan lu. There are two sets of bars, rings, parallel bars and all sorts of other stuff which can be used creatively there. One set on the Kempinsky side of the intersection and another on its opposite.

@Turtle
    , 20 pullups is pretty extreme for me. I don’t know how many I’d be doing because I’ve been focusing on muscle ups,over the bar moves, flags, planks and levers for a while now but I’m sure I wouldn’t be able to pump out 20 strict pullups. Time to take it to the next level!

Keymaster

For reference this is the kind of thing I was talking about

That’s pretty intense. Cool video. I’ve never seen anything like that in China before.

I’ve never seen anything like that in China before.

Same here, though I’m sure there are guys out there somewhere having a go at it.

This reminds me of when I was living in L.A. and would often walk the Boardwalk from Venice to Santa Monica in the morning. There’s a series of gymnastics ‘flying’ rings (and bars) on the beach just South of the pier. Many dedicated folks showing up (from around the world) to practice their crazy shit daily. The area was home to the original ‘Muscle Beach’ until 1959, which was later relocated further South in Venice.

And some old school…

Participant

I’m not attempting to be humble, I’m glad for my movement, yet for “great” I would say you’d should have the capacity to do various muscle ups. Since when i join kid gymnastics classes, I am extremely excited for doing this.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.