Outdoor Movie Night #3, Sunday 6/2

HomeForumsIn ChengduOutdoor Movie Night #3, Sunday 6/2

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Last Sunday we watched Big Trouble Little China in Yulin with a gigantic crowd and had a blast. This week we’re watching Ferris Bueller’s Day Off:

About Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Ferris is a street-wise kid who knows all the tricks. Today he decides to take the day off school. When Ferris takes the day off, so must his best friends, Cameron and Sloane. Cameron is reluctantly persuaded to borrow his father’s Ferrari, and together they hatch a plan to get Sloane out of class. Suspicious dean of students Ed Rooney knows all about Ferris, but can never catch him. Ferris is unstoppable. This is the story of his day off.

This movie will be in English with Chinese subtitles, so bring your Chinese friends and introduce them to this masterpiece of 1980?s cinema.

Here’s the movie trailer on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-P6p86px6U

About the Banana Boat

The Banana Boat is our completely mobile music and movie setup, built into a rickshaw. We cycle somewhere, stop, and within 5 minutes we’re watching movies or playing music.

A photo of the first outdoor movie night where we watched The Karate Kid:

The location is in the Yulin neighborhood, about a 2 minute walk away from the Laoma Tou Hotpot Restaurant. The name of the alley that we’ll be on is ???? and if you search for it on Baidu or Google Maps you should see where it’s located.

Or if you have a bicycle, ride to the location with us from the Natooke Bicycle Shop at 7:30pm.

Anyone going to this? Anyone? Anyone?

Participant

Anyone? Anyone?

I think you mean: Bueller? Bueller?

This past Sunday was great watching Jack Burton in Big Trouble in Little China. This week I’m ready to see Ferris Bueller cause some trouble.

Participant

Participant

Looks nice!

Participant

Since it seems to be an 80’s fest, you know there is one quintessentially 80’s film that MUST be shown. Clue: “You can ride my tail anytime” (Brendan, down boy!).

Keymaster

Since it seems to be an 80′s fest, you know there is one quintessentially 80′s film that MUST be shown. Clue: “You can ride my tail anytime” (Brendan, down boy!).

“That’s right! Ice… man. I am dangerous.”

That is a good suggestion actually. Perhaps we should open the outdoor movie night to a vote. But next week’s movie isn’t from the 1980’s. It is an American movie with a connection to China though, and it is a comedy.

Participant

To the guy who just PMed me: “You can ride my tail..” was a quote from Top Gun. Was NOT an invitation. But I’m flattered anyway….I’ll keep your details! ha ha

Participant

I missed Big Trouble in Little China,i guess i can come 2 see this ; )

Yesss!  One of my all out favourites from John Hughes.  Still remember waiting in the theatre past the end credits, something you’ll all have to wait and see what for if you’ve never watched this most awesome of 80’s movies.

If we’re making requests for movies, I’m gonna throw in another one of my favourites from the period, ‘The Breakfast Club’.  John Hughes was the master for a while there, I think I’ve donated several days of my life to his movies over the years.  I can’t say a bad thing about Bueller any day of the week, but the sharpness of character in ‘The Breakfast Club’ rings true today just as it did all those years (28!!) ago.

Keymaster

Yesss! One of my all out favourites from John Hughes. Still remember waiting in the theatre past the end credits, something you’ll all have to wait and see what for if you’ve never watched this most awesome of 80′s movies. If we’re making requests for movies, I’m gonna throw in another one of my favourites from the period, ‘The Breakfast Club’. John Hughes was the master for a while there, I think I’ve donated several days of my life to his movies over the years. I can’t say a bad thing about Bueller any day of the week, but the sharpness of character in ‘The Breakfast Club’ rings true today just as it did all those years (28!!) ago.

I haven’t seen Breakfast Club in 10+ years, that’s a good candidate.

Some other movies I was thinking of:

• Rumble in the Bronx
    • From Beijing With Love
    • The Never Ending Story
    • E.T.
    • Coming to America

Coming to America would be funny, though ‘Trading Places’ leaves it standing.

If you ever want to get a little ‘arthouse’ on one of these nights, I’m going to throw in one of my all time favourite movies, Francis Ford Coppola’s ‘Rumble Fish’.  A little known movie that he made as a side project while filming ‘The Outsiders’.

You’ve got Matt Dillon, Mickey Rourke, Dennis Hopper, Laurence Fishburne, Diane Lane, Tom Waits, Chris Penn, and Nick Cage making an early appearance.  With a soundtrack penned completely by ‘The Police’ drummer Stewart Copeland, the film oozes black and white cool, with a little heroin chic thrown in for measure.

Keymaster

If you ever want to get a little ‘arthouse’ on one of these nights, I’m going to throw in one of my all time favourite movies, Francis Ford Coppola’s ‘Rumble Fish’. A little known movie that he made as a side project while filming ‘The Outsiders’. You’ve got Matt Dillon, Mickey Rourke, Dennis Hopper, Laurence Fishburne, Diane Lane, Tom Waits, Chris Penn, and Nick Cage making an early appearance. With a soundtrack penned completely by ‘The Police’ drummer Stewart Copeland, the film oozes black and white cool, with a little heroin chic thrown in for measure.

Never heard of that movie but it sounds really good, I’ll be sure to seek it out.

For the outdoor movie nights we try to find films that Chinese and expat audiences can relate to in some way. And nostalgia.

I gotta say, watching Big Trouble in Little China while drinking beer in a Chinese alley surrounded by 100 Chinese people watching the movie with subtitles is pretty surreal.

I was thinking of organizing an outdoor viewing of the Game of Thrones season finale and doing art house movies or something else on another night of the week is also possible. We’re still kind of cutting our teeth with the outdoor film project – finding more locations, improving our setup, etc.

Never heard of that movie but it sounds really good, I’ll be sure to seek it out.

I may have a copy kicking around somewhere, which I also took a rip from.  Yeah a young Chinese audience might not quite ‘get it’ but it’s very visual with lots of ‘fly on the wall’ scenes, and no heavy dialogue.  That said a few of my friends/significant others have been subjected to it over the years and given me a bemused blank look afterward, haha.

I’d thought about doing a movie night a while back after discovering a big movie room filled with couches on the 6th floor of Top City inside ‘Mintos’ Korean cafe/restaurant.  Movies I’d thought of running were;

– Pulp Fiction

– Weird Science

– Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure

– Point Break

– The Terminator (obviously!)

– and on and on, I won’t fill this thread up with my personal faves.

Looking forward to Sunday, it’s been a year or so since I last watched Bueller.

If you ever want to get a little ‘arthouse’ on one of these nights, I’m going to throw in one of my all time favourite movies, Francis Ford Coppola’s ‘Rumble Fish’.

I have Rumble.Fish.1983.SE.INTERNAL.DVDRip.XviD-PARTiCLE. If you want a copy then let me know.

I already have plans for Sunday night, which is a shame because Ferris is a classic. Hopefully I’ll be able to attend the next one.

Rumble.Fish.1983.SE.INTERNAL.DVDRip.XviD-PARTiCLE

Is that a joke??

Is that a joke??

No?? It’s scene rls notation…

Rumble Fish 1983
    Special Edition
    Internal = Not an external scene release
    DVDRip = DVD Source
    XviD = Xvid video codec (.avi container)
    PARTiCLE = the group that did the rip

Participant

Yey dear good people,
    Movies are awesome for lazy sundays, lookin forward to it..

What you think about exchanging our movie collections? if anybody feels like, I would be really hapoy to grab my hard drive with 😉

Participant

Brilliant idea. Thanks for continuing to push the boundaries here in Chengdu.

I’m gonna go ahead and push them a little further with this suggestion…

Teddybaby out.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.