Pest Control in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionPest Control in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author

I have flatmates of the rodent variety in my one bedroom.

I hear them walking in the ceiling sometimes.

From the noise level it must be rats.

Then I placed gluetraps with peanut butter bait strategically under the kitchen sink and in other locations.

For months these traps remained untouched.

Now the peanut butter on the traps underneath the sink is gone and i noticed that the glue is not working anymore.

So these little bastards appear to be intelligent enough to notice when the trap are still working.

So yesterday I had a papaya placed on my kitchen counter only to find a huge bite this morning. I can’t imagine how they could have gotten up there. But they seem to have Spiderman superpowers.

Not surprisingly the “management” office of my “luxury”/”high end” compound is completely useless in solving that matter.

In Beijing pest control was a standard thing for all compounds I ever lived in. Rat traps were placed everywhere. Here nothing.

Did anyone deal with a pest control service in this city?

Does anyone know where to get proper traps and maybe poison?

Any help appreciated.

Participant

I bought some rat poison (laoshu du yao) for a friend last week from one of the ladies on the street who sell all those house-hold things (often all the stuff is on a bike) but alot of hardware shops also have it. Technically its illegal, but its no trouble finding it. This one is in pellet form but i’ve also bought in liquid form. The woman told me to be very careful handling it (to use a plastic bag) and don’t let it touch the skin. One small bag of pellets was 5 kuai. Oh yeah, she also said “Don’t tell the mice it’s poison. Tell them it’s very delicious”. Not sure if she was joking…..

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Did anyone deal with a pest control service in this city?

Does anyone know where to get proper traps and maybe poison?

You can buy traps and poison everywhere, I tried them both a few years ago when I had mice/rats in my apartment and they weren’t very effective.

I also paid this guy to install an electrified wire that ran across the door frame leading from my living room to the bedrooms. It was attached to a box with a lightbulb on the top of it – when mice tripped the wire, it’d electrocute them, a bell would ring, and the lightbulb would light up. It rang a few times in the middle of the night but the mice would always be gone by the time we got to the living room to check it out. Mostly it was just me and my roommate accidentally shocking ourselves, which was hilarious at the time.

We ended up borrowing someone’s cat for a few weeks which seemed to solve the problem permanently (years later, no mice).

Thank you for the input.

I am more than uncomfortable with handling poison myself.

I already see the rats/mice dying in my AC duct just waiting to get me really sick once i start running it when it gets hot outside.

I heard about the cat thing. Would be worth considering picking one.

Allthough I’m not a big fan of cat toilets.

I am so mad at the management office. Complete waste of space these people. They stare at you with disbelief that this could be somewhat a serious health issue.

“Emerald” in case someone considers moving there, dont think you’d be safe from rodents on the 18th floor.

Participant

Never seen a rat since TigerKuma moved in. A cat doesn’t need to catch the mice, just keep them at bay (hopefully in the neighbour’s place).

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Never seen a rat since TigerKuma moved in. A cat doesn’t need to catch the mice, just keep them at bay (hopefully in the neighbour’s place).

The smell of cats alone will repel mice!

Participant

The smell of TigerKuma also repels girls, it seems….

I guess the premium that I pay for my small apartment is worth not having bugs or rodents.

Participant

@Ziich: yeah my current pad is the first one in a reasonably modern building, elevator, top (12th) floor) and i’m happy to pay a little more to be rat-free. I still have nightmares about one place i rented in Zongbei; the scurrying at night, under the bed, trying to break in through the mosquito screens, a quick glimpse of a fleeing rat bastard. Never again..

Well my compound is quite new and “up scale”. No insurance against rats in this town it seems.

Participant

I agree with the “get a cat” posters, mice simply stay away..

If you use the sticky pads, they do work – a long time ago I used ’em, just need to strategically place them and make sure they’re clean/sticky with bait etc. Another important thing is to keep your place clean – don’t let morsels of food sneak under couches/fridges/etc and keep your food secured up in places without holes or gaps for mice to sneak in. Apartments here have seemingly “how can they get in?” holes – AC holes, gas holes, etc and mice can sneak through incredibly small or hard to get to places, and yes they do leap around like superman.. I’ve seen a rat leap a gap maybe 4 feet across and 2 feet up like it was nothing, they do some serious Parkour.

For the sticky pads, one other thing, sometimes they only get ‘partially’ caught then drag it around. If you’re afraid of rats, it’s not really your best option, revert back to cat 😀

Hey Steeevyo,

Staying in the same place as you, and understand your gripe on the building management (or lack of, actually)

We’ve moved in not too long, and luckily have not had encounters with our furry 4-legged friends yet.

If you’re keen on the cat idea I can perhaps ask around if anyone I know has one to borrow.

Thank you and no problem. I’ll do another round of traps first.

It’s easy to complain about the troublesome mosquitos or gnats when they ruin your nice hike or summer’s day. However, in various areas of the world there are far worse problems then getting an irritating bite. Pest control would be very helpful.

After 8 exhausting months of pleading threatening begging extortion attempts with the management office the landlord and the real estate agent that sold me on this “high standard executive level vip standard (or whatever) rodent infested sh..hole I have good news.

I finally managed to get a Century 21 employee (the third one actually who was running after fees that I held back until they got something done) made a simple phone call and 5 hours later a real pest control expert was in my flat laying out poison in strategic locations, telling me excactly what would happen the next few days (e.g. weird sounds of poisoned mice slowly dying which I can hear right now and which make me kind of sad).

When I asked the C-21 gy why this had to take 8 months and why as a last resort I had to threaten to never pay them their fees and why they in turn had to counter threaten me with lawyers for week after week instead of simply doing the right thing that took less than five minutes he only laughed. Which reminded me once again that I will never understand how things work here.

Anyway I have a contact now. Anyone in need can send me a PM.

I would not recommend poison for rats, The death smell would last forever.

Participant
    Quote:
    (e.g. weird sounds of poisoned mice slowly dying which I can hear right now and which make me kind of sad).

Quote:
    I would not recommend poison for rats, The death smell would last forever.

Yeah, this got me thinking as well. If you poison them, aren’t they going to rot in your ceiling untill they are completely decayed? Sounds to me you would have a really awful smell for years and years this way? Since there is no way to get them out of there once they’re dead, lol. Or will bugs just eat it, leaving no smell?

It is mice not rats which is a great relief.

The expert told me that this is the best way forward so I am inclined to believe him. He also said the poison will dehydrate the mice and let them die at their main water source, and they will not rot in the regular way but dry out.

My only precaution to keep all potential water sources in my flat inaccesible (e.g. toilet lid down) because they get terribly thirsty after they had the poison.

After five to ten casualties the mice are smart enough to avoid my territory in the future.

Participant

I noticed ads for this company on the bus – the Black Cat exterminators. They are in the Yulin area.

http://www.hmmscc.com/

Participant

RE: dead mice/rats smell..

Yah, they’ll say whatever. The bottom line is you can’t always control where an animal dies, and the chances are if they’re in your home their “main water source” isn’t so far away. If you heard them scuttling around in ceilings/etc. there is a good chance one will die there..hope you’re right, though, because they *do* smell horrible, and are *not* easy to clean out after they’ve died.

In my last office we had a rat/mouse die in a wall. The smell was horrible, eventually some other people tracked down approximately where the smell was in the wall, and the wuguan didn’t have any good solution. I was made aware of the issue, brought a hammer, boxed a hole in the wall, and kinda knocked the corpse towards the hole with a broom handle twisted into the hole…then a inside-out bag to grab the corpse. It was f’in nasty, and we had to repair the hole on our own dime. I’d imagine at an apartment complex your landlord would *not* cover the cost to get a corpse out of a ceiling/wall and you’d have to take care of it yourself, or live with the smell……..poison == risky, cats are best. 😀

Update: Did some research on the “dehydration” thing, seems they’re talking about “brodifacoum”, which is common in rat poisons these days. It thins their blood to the point they bleed out internally and die – but also dehydrates them so that they may leave in search of water. They don’t “dry out” like jerky, they just become thirsty – they’ll still stink like a corpse…once they’re done hemorrhaging to death.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.