Playing Traditional Chinese Instruments

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionPlaying Traditional Chinese Instruments

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I recently bought a Xun and I am trying to find people in Chengdu who I can talk to or practice with to help me learn how to play properly.

Does anybody know of a social group/website/anything that can hep me out?

Participant

yikes… sounds fun. u should find a teacher before u get an instrument.

Participant

That would have probably been wise, but at 65rmb I won’t complain if it just turns into an ornament.

Keymaster

Alan,

That is awesome, congratulations. You will obviously be looking for Chinese people, so if you speak Chinese that will make everything much easier. A good place to check out would be the Sichuan Music University. There are shops which sell traditional instruments there and people who play them. That would be a good place to walk around and see if you can find teachers.

The other thing to do would be search on Baidu for a teacher. I’m not sure what level your Chinese is at, but maybe you could get a Chinese person to help you out if you’re not comfortable with this.

Good luck

Participant

Alan sorry if i dissapoint you but youre in for on hell of a search. I myself study Guqin atm and it took me AGES to find someone willing to teach. To search someone in conservatory you need good chinese, just go to corresponding faculty first (should be Chinese traditional music or maybe wind and string).

On the bright side, Xun is far mor often played than Qin so youll make it faster than me 🙂

Keymaster

I just searched on Baidu (成都教埙) and the first thing I found was this discussion, where someone mentions he knows a teacher on second ring road somewhere: 谁知道成都有没有教埙?. You could contact that guy directly. This will certainly require Chinese language skills though.

Participant

Thanks guys.

My Chinese is very basic right now so until it improves I’ll have to keep on the search for an English speaking Xun enthusiast.

Participant

Don’t know why everybody’s hating. Not that hard. Found a guzheng teacher in no time and she spoke great english. Just start talking to some people around any university with a music program and I’m sure somebody knows somebody who would love to get a chance to make some more money. Maybe they won’t have perfect english but you don’t really need much when learning music. Good luck!

Participant

Wow interesting instrument! looks like an ocarina:

OCARINA

Participant

I’m surprised it took you so long to find a Guqin teacher. Between ChuanDa and the music school there are a lot of small-ish music schools in and around the place (kind of hidden, I guess) that normally cater to kids, but definitely teach adults as well. I’m learning Guzheng now and I’ve seen/heard pipa and guqin lessons around there as well.

Participant

@charlie I took a little walk past the Sichuan Music University today. It looks very promising but I didn’t have time to speak to anybody about lessons.

You also helped me find a shortcut home from Kaffe Stuggan.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.