Please help – Restaurants in Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduPlease help – Restaurants in Chengdu

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello all, (I put up a questionnaire last week but it was too long so I have shortened it)
    I am a student from the United Kingdom studying in Chengdu for 2 months and I have a project to complete. Part of my project is creating a proposal to open a Michelin-star restaurant in Chengdu (Some information about Michelin star dining here http://foodtravel.about.com/od/Restaurant-Reviews/fl/What-Are-the-Michelin-Stars.htm ) .
    I am planning (hypothetically) to open it on the top floor of a 50-storey building in the Tianfu new area. The food will definitely be Western – In all likelihood it will be high-end French cuisine. I am asking for help from local restaurant customers/owners/managers/workers to compile information from my project and so I have a series of questions to ask to help me. I appreciate you may not want to give any information away to a complete stranger online, which I completely understand but any information/help you could give me would be fantastic. I also know there are quite a few questions here and I have tried to leave them open-ended, please give me as much information and feedback as you are willing and able to. I also accept some of the questions are quite direct but I am trying to get as much good information as possible. I have already researched many of your restaurants online, looking on TripAdvisor, Chengdu Living, listening to podcasts etc. and I know some of these questions have already been answered so I apologise if you feel like you being asked to answer questions you have already answered in the past.

1.Is there a type of cuisine/restaurant you feel is currently missing in Chengdu?

2.Have you ever eaten at a Michelin star restaurant? If so what was your impression? If not, would you be interested in trying one?

3.How important is restaurant location for you when deciding where to eat ?

4.What factors do you take in to consideration when selecting where to dine?

5.Do you think awards/badges/prestige are important when deciding where to dine?

6.Do you think there would be demand for a Michelin star restaurant in Chengdu?

7. How often do you have lunch in restaurants and what factors decide this?

Keymaster
    1. Vietnamese pho, authentic Thai food
    2. Yes, I would be interested
    3. On a scale of 1-10, I would say 8
    4. Deliciousness, consistency, cost, healthiness
    5. No
    6. Yes
    7. 4+ times a week, eating out in Chengdu is cheap
    Participant

4+ times a week, eating out in Chengdu is cheap

*was* cheap 😛 it’s not so cheap these days, except for small/local joints, I think it’s cheaper to ‘eat out’ in Beijing than Chengdu! I remember eating wonderful steak for a hundy, but in the ‘du, 100 yuan for a steak means it’s basically dogfood with black pepper sauce 😛

Keymaster

*was* cheap 😛 it’s not so cheap these days, except for small/local joints, I think it’s cheaper to ‘eat out’ in Beijing than Chengdu! I remember eating wonderful steak for a hundy, but in the ‘du, 100 yuan for a steak means it’s basically dogfood with black pepper sauce 😛

You’re right, that is a fair point. It really depends on what you are eating out. It is not difficult to spend a lot of money eating out in Chengdu and the cost of eating out has gone up significantly, especially in the South of the city.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.