What to See for 7 Days in Chengdu?

HomeForumsIn ChengduWhat to See for 7 Days in Chengdu?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Dear all,

I need your kind assistance to share with me what places and activities I must do in Chengdu. I will be arriving with my family this coming Friday (2 children and 3 adults).  It’s a relaxing trip and we have 7 days. Are there any interesting activities in Chengdu that only occur on weekends? I’d like to catch them as I only have one weekend in Chengdu.

Just by going through this website and forum I am amazed how much Chengdu has to offer. How would you all recommend I plan my 7 days itinerary starting this coming Friday evening?

Thank you all so much. Any advice would be appreciated.

Participant

Maybe it would be easier for us if you came with a proposition so we could tell you what’s good/bad about it. Also tons of information readily available on the CL website and on this forum already.

Keymaster

Vincent is right, it’s best to browse around and see what strikes you. Check out Chengdu Places. Here are some of my favorite things:

• Sichuan opera (on 琴台路)
    • People’s Park on Sunday
    • Temples: Wuhou Ci, QingYang Gong, WenShu Yuan
    • Computer City is interesting to visit if you’re new to China
    • Chunxi Lu, which is a massive shopping district
    Participant

Hi Vincent and Charlie,

You guys are too kind. What a quick response! I will browse around the Chengdu Places website in depth.  I will definitely be visiting the Panda City and Sichuan Opera.

I really want to know the following if it’s possible.

1. What is a must see activity or place that I should bring my family to on a Saturday or Sunday? I only have one weekend in Chengdu. Charlie you mentioned that People’s Park is nice. Are there any interesting weekend markets to visit?

2. I am very keen to listen to some good Chinese Hifi amplifiers and speakers. I will be making a trip to listen to Line Magnetic speakers at 成都市桂王桥西街66号附9-10号. Is there a big mall or area where I can see all the Chinese Hifi brands together in the same place? What would be the nearest subway station?

3. Is there a sort of Art Commune where I could view artists’ paintings or sculptures? Always love that sort of vibe. Might like to buy a piece or two.

4. Can you recommend some great family friendly Western eating places? I’m pretty sure after several days of Sichuan spicy food that my young ones will be craving for Western food.

5. Is there a particular public bus or buses that I can take which will give me a great tour around the city? I’ve often discovered that taking public transport is a great way to see a new place and also allow me to get to know local Chengdu people.

All in all.  I truly hope to soak in the whole Chengdu vibe. I’m amazed at how vibrant this city is from the info I’ve read here on this website. It’s been a Godsend 🙂

Thank you all for all your kind advice and suggestions!

Keymaster

1. What is a must see activity or place that I should bring my family to on a Saturday or Sunday? I only have one weekend in Chengdu. Charlie you mentioned that People’s Park is nice. Are there any interesting weekend markets to visit?

Check out the park. Visiting the pandas might be a good idea also, that’s north of the city.

2. I am very keen to listen to some good Chinese Hifi amplifiers and speakers. I will be making a trip to listen to Line Magnetic speakers at 成都市桂王桥西街66号附9-10号. Is there a big mall or area where I can see all the Chinese Hifi brands together in the same place? What would be the nearest subway station?

If you’re from the West somewhere, nothing here will excite you. Good quality amps and speakers are all imported, and more expensive that what you’d pay overseas.

3. Is there a sort of Art Commune where I could view artists’ paintings or sculptures? Always love that sort of vibe. Might like to buy a piece or two.

There’s an art market called Songxian Qiao but it’s moved a few times and I’m not sure where it is now. It might be worth tracking down, I used to be the only art market that I knew about that was worth visiting in the city. There are a lot of painters and paintings there in particular.

4. Can you recommend some great family friendly Western eating places? I’m pretty sure after several days of Sichuan spicy food that my young ones will be craving for Western food.

Check out Red Beard Burgers or The Lazy Pug.

5. Is there a particular public bus or buses that I can take which will give me a great tour around the city? I’ve often discovered that taking public transport is a great way to see a new place and also allow me to get to know local Chengdu people.

If you don’t speak or read Chinese, it will be difficult for you to figure out where you’re going. But it’s fun to just get on a random bus and ride around, if you’re up for that.

Participant

Peter’s Tex Mex is also very child-friendly if you’re looking for a decent western meal. I especially like the one in Tongzilin Dong Lu, but they’re pretty much all over town.

I’ll echo Charlie about the audio gear. China isn’t really the place to be for audiophiles. I visited a specialized store once with a friend and it was all imported stuff indeed.

There’s also a huge market filled with all kinds of Chinese junk somewhere in the north. It’s called the Lotus Market and, if I remember correctly, the last metro stop should get you there.

Jingli street is nice to walk around with your kids too. Very Chinese.

Participant

hi, here are some suggestions for you:

Giant panda base.(you can check the route online and visit on weekend)

Narrow & width alley, old style streets and courtyard houses.
    It is one of the three major historical & cultural areas in Chengdu.
    It is close to people’s park metro station (metro line 2).

Hot pot. (you can try one in narrow alley)

Chunxi Road, the major shopping area in Chengdu, IFS and new opened Taikoo Li are located here. (metro line 2)

how about Jiuzhaigou ?
    It is known for its many multi-level waterfalls and colorful lakes, and was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1992.
    You can fly there in 1 hour and it will take around 3 days to visit.

Hope these suggestions will help you!

Participant

What about Nuhi’s Deli?! 😉

Participant

What about Nuhi’s Deli?! ;)

haha – nailed it!

Participant

That seems like a good idea as well. On the other hand, if one is here for just a week, I’d be focussing on getting in as much local food as possible :-).

Participant

do go to the giant panda research center located in the northern suburb of Chengdu on Futou Hill, 10 km from downtown Chengdu to see the cute giant pandas; strolling around in the Jinli old street or kuan and zhai valley for some local things

Participant

You could also rent a bike and do a short whirl around town.  Chengdu is rather bicycle friendly and the weather usually permits.

Keymaster

You could also rent a bike and do a short whirl around town. Chengdu is rather bicycle friendly and the weather usually permits.

I overlooked that: in my opinion that is one of the best ways that a visitor can experience Chengdu. Over the last year I’ve taken almost all of my visitors on bike rides and they have loved it. Natooke even offers bicycle tours, which are awesome.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.