Primary School for Mixed Child – Help!

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionPrimary School for Mixed Child – Help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi everyone, I actually live in China .i have a four years old son who goes in a 3000y a month kindergarten the best where I live.he is the only mixed child in this kindergarten well the only non100% chinese.we are facing discrimination problems.my wife and I are thinking to move in chengdu cause the foreigner population in this city is more important and I have the professional option to make a move in chengdu.i know there are international schools in chengdu but 28000$ a year.i m an english teacher so that will take all my salary and even more.i decided to stay in China so I know discrimination positive or negative will be daily life for my son.my question is : is there any chinese kindergarten where mixed couples put their childrens so my son will not be the only mixed child?

please help me.thanks in advance.

Participant

Sorry, but the plural is “children”, not “childrens”. Good luck with your kindergarten search and teaching English.

Participant

Thanks dude for the lesson that helps in my situation.

Participant

Perhaps if you were a little more specific with the form of “discrimination” people might be able to assist you. By discrimination do you mean they make your mixed child pay more, or do they call him/her unkind names, or stare at him/her? Chengdu has a quite large foreign community, but it isn’t Shanghai/Beijing/Shenzhen and if you’re expecting your mixed child to be treated as locals are that may be somewhat unrealistic.

At least you seem to have a grasp of sarcasm. Maybe teach that to your students. Written English doesn’t seem to be your strong point.

Participant

You are right english is not my strong point cause I m a Spanish teacher and English is not my first language well what I mean by discrimination is that many kids in his kindergarten push my son and make a circle around him and tell laowai laowai…but that s not the point .i  just want to know if there s an area in chengdu where a massive foreign communauty leaves    And put their children in the same kindergarten .i saw on Internet there s 15000 foreigners in chengdu so I would like to know if there s such area like that in chengdu.can you help me?

Keymaster

You are right english is not my strong point cause I m a Spanish teacher and English is not my first language well what I mean by discrimination is that many kids in his kindergarten push my son and make a circle around him and tell laowai laowai…but that s not the point .i just want to know if there s an area in chengdu where a massive foreign communauty leaves And put their children in the same kindergarten .i saw on Internet there s 15000 foreigners in chengdu so I would like to know if there s such area like that in chengdu.can you help me?

That sounds rough. Sorry to hear about your kid getting bullied. There are definitely international schools in Chengdu where your kid will be alongside other foreign kids, but they will cost you a lot. It might be unaffordable on an English teacher’s salary. Check this out: Choosing a Kindergarten in Chengdu

Participant

Thanks Charlie finally an help I was worried to have to always answer to mister grammar.

Get your kid learning Kung-Fu, that’ll surely mess with their heads once he round-houses that Laowai singing circle!

Participant

Awesome.i guess you guys doesn’t have children

Participant

<span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 22px; background-color: #fbfbfb;”>”many kids in his kindergarten push my son and make a circle around him and tell laowai laowai…”</span>

>kindergarden

another generations, fate sealed by the brainwashing of their parents….

Participant

Hello teacher5,
    sorry for all the silly comments here. I think there are some good options here in Chengdu, depending on what you can afford. Basically I think your kids situation also has to do a lot with how teachers/the school deals with these situations: 4-year olds bullying like that is quite exceptional and should be immediately taken seriously by the staff. It is very important to check with a new school how the school deals with this kind of thing, because it really all depends on the staff.

* international schools: EtonHouse international school, has two campuses open now. One in TimesResidence area has an international and chinese division combined in one building and they share many activities, the chinese division is cheaper than international (about 35-40.000 per year). The other campuses is chinese division only. They teach IB PYP program. At Times Residence there are many mixed and foreign kids in chinese division, and I’ve never heard about bullying like you are describing (our kids are going there). EH takes kids from 18 months until 8 years (6 for chinese). Other international schools take kids from ca. 3 years until high school and include: QSI, Leman, CDIS. These are ‘foreign passport only’ schools. Then there is Meishi international, I think they take kids from 4 or 5 years, and I guess there are some foreign kids there. CDES, in the west of town, also has some foreign kids enrolled I think.
    * as for kindergartens, some of the Golden Apple kindergartens accept foreigners but not all of them. Try the one opposite the Master building in Tongzilin, I know that foreign or mixed kids go there. There is also a Soong Ching Ling kindergarten in the south of the city, and a new American one, but I don’t know much about them.
    * many foreigners are living in Tongzilin, Tianfu new city, Wuhou, or the center of the town, less are living in the suburbs north, west or east. there must many foreigners and mixed families who send their children to the local kindergarten in their area.

Good luck with your decision!

Participant

Thanks very much I couldn t hope a better answer. I started to be very sad when I had to answer to those classic foreigner alcoholics who spent their days to criticize China but they stay in China for the reason we all know.thanks very much that s great what you did.

I started to be very sad when I had to answer to those classic foreigner alcoholics who spent their days to criticize China but they stay in China for the reason we all know.

• Tsingtao?
    • 67rmb all you can eat Korean BBQ (+all you can drink… Tsingtao)?
    • 12 pack Tsingtao?
    • Being stereotyped (in horrendous English) by self construed victims with no sense of humour?

Participant

Hello,

our kids are the only foreign kids in their kindergarten, but it is a very friendly kindergarten with nice teachers and nice kids. No discrimination whatsoever. They have American teachers for English classes, so the parents who send their kids there are very open-minded to foreigners anyway.

It is called Olive Tree English Kindergarten, its in Jinsha Lu, near the second ring road north.

Good luck to you!

Participant

If you guys manage to find a place where foreigners aren’t pointed at and have “Laowai” yelled at them, PLEASE let me know! I can’t even get on the elevator in my building without old women grabbing their grandkids hands and making them point at me while saying “laowai shushu”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.