Problems Downloading Torrents?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionProblems Downloading Torrents?

• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Avatar photoBen.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone having problems connecting to trackers for their torrent downloads over the last 2 days? My usual trackers aren’t connecting and I’m getting 0 connections all around. I’m curious if this is specific to me or if CT has clamped down a little on torrent downloading.

Keymaster

No problems here. It depends entirely on what trackers you’re using.

What does CT stand for?

Participant

China Telecom.. I get my usual shows from eztv.it, never had any problems. I’ll try to sort it out – at least it’s good to know it’s not a general issue. Thanks.

Update: All my normal trackers time out, so connect to them via VPN then drop the connection once I’ve loaded seeds/peers and it works fine. Not sure if connecting to trackers will result in DMCA C&D orders but I guess will find out soon. If anyone else experiences torrent issues here would be interested to know it’s not just me.

Participant

I don’t like torrents. I download all my stuff through Usenet newsgroups. Costs me like $10/month and I’m downloading at an instant and stable 500kbps in Chengdu. Even stuff that’s like 1000+ days old gives me the same speed, always.

In Belgium that same account gave me 4MBps, definitely miss that.

Participant

I haven’t had any problems. I use Kickass Torrents.

Participant

Apart from downloads taking a million times longer than I’m used to, no real problems here either.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I don’t like torrents. I download all my stuff through Usenet newsgroups. Costs me like $10/month and I’m downloading at an instant and stable 500kbps in Chengdu. Even stuff that’s like 1000+ days old gives me the same speed, always.

I get all those benefits, costs me nothing. The key is to be on the right trackers which have high quality content that’s well seeded. With that said, probably a majority of content distributed through BT originates from Usenet.

No problems with torrents here and I am on CT. They could be blocking some trackers.

You could still get a DMCA warning if you connect to a dummy peer using your VPN IP address before disconnecting.

Releases on decent torrents sites filter down from other higher level faster torrents sites, for example SCC. They originate from scene FTP sites. The whole process is usually scripted.

Participant
    Quote:
    I get all those benefits, costs me nothing.

Really? In my experience torrents often go way slower. For old stuff you have to be lucky you can find seeders. Like if I’m having dinner or lunch I can download some episode/movie via Usenet and know that it’ll be ready by the time I finished cooking. With torrents sometimes I have to wait for days lol.

Except for really new stuff, those are always fast/reliable indeed. But I like downloading/rewatching old crap.

I also hate downloading new series episode by episode. I rather wait untill the whole thing broadcasted and then download the entire season.

Plus for some reason I feel less safe with torrents regarding viruses and/or malware. Although I’m geeky/experienced enough to know when something’s not right.

If you are a member of a decent private torrent site then you can easily get old stuff as it will be cataloged in to a pack. For example shows that have finished will have complete seasons pack. Shows that are currently running will have packs by seasons. Movies will have packs by actor, genre or series. These are usually seeded by at least 1 person with a seedbox. Some sites coordinate seeding them.

Viruses on private torrent sites are rare as you can report torrents to staff to be removed. Most torrents are scene anyway. Older stuff is just usually repacked scene stuff.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.