Question About Visa Requirements

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionQuestion About Visa Requirements

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello all,

Several months ago I posted a thread about relocating to Chengdu and teaching English. Since then I have changed my mind and rather work in the field that I have experience in. Before I get ahead of myself, I would like to see if it’s even plausible.

Basically, I would like to relocate from the States to Chengdu and look for work. I don’t have a bachelor’s degree but I do have an associate’s degree from a two-year trade school in Architectural Drafting and Design. I have been working as a Project Estimator for the past six years. I have also worked as a CAD Draftsman and as a Project Engineer.

Based on the above information, would I be able to find work and obtain a visa that would permit me to work and live there legally?

If not, what are my options to be able to live and work there legally? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Participant

Would be able to find work, and get a permit – no problem. They need ‘some’ kinda post-highschool education and may say they need a bachelors or higher specifically but it’s not strict, as long as you have some kind of paper or diploma representing further education they’ll consider it enough. Look for a job (like 51job.com or chinahr.com or something) and they’ll take care of it for you – suggest trying to plan to be here on a tourist visa shortly after job search so you can do in person interviews.

Keymaster

“Live and work legally” is a very loose term in China – I don’t think you will have any issues with an associates degree though. If you have any visa problems or need more specific information, I would contact Shan Shui Visa, they’re extremely knowledgeable and are located in Chengdu.

Participant

I would suggest you to take help of consultants for the work permit!

My company tried to do it by themselves and got rejected! The reasons are not clear(obviously). I hold a masters degree but still…

I contacted the consultants and they are helping me to process it, assuring me that its not a big problem.

Good luck

Participant

Thank you everyone for advice. I have already contacted Shan Shui Visa and hopefully they can help me out or point me in the right direction.

Participant

As much as I tried to relocate to Chengdu its just not going to happen. The bottom line is that a Bachelors degree is needed for a working visa. I was told that I can get a business visa and work on it, get a fake degree, or just work on a L visa. I am too old for those shenanigans and just cant risk it.

I envy you guys who get to live there. Chengdu looks like an awesome place to work and live. Unfortunately, I am stuck in this cesspool and near bankrupt place called California. 12% unemployment and a subpar apartment 1 hour away from Los Angeles will run you $900USD.

I will go vist one day and maybe will get to meet you guys and visit over some hotpot.

Take care,

AJ

Keymaster
    Quote:
    As much as I tried to relocate to Chengdu its just not going to happen. The bottom line is that a Bachelors degree is needed for a working visa. I was told that I can get a business visa and work on it, get a fake degree, or just work on a L visa. I am too old for those shenanigans and just cant risk it.

Why not just got an F (Business) visa? There are no requirements. Just buy it in HK, the cost is about 4,000-5,000 yuan for a year long visa for Americans.

Participant

Charlie, Its my understanding that you can not legally work on a Business visa. I was reading on another forum that the goverment was cracking down on this practice, especially in Shanghai.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Charlie, Its my understanding that you can not legally work on a Business visa. I was reading on another forum that the goverment was cracking down on this practice, especially in Shanghai.

“Legal” doesn’t mean the same thing in China as it does in the states. The majority of foreigners in China are probably breaking visa laws in some way or form. I know tons of people who’ve been working on F-visas for 5+ years without a problem.

AJ, quit whining, grow a pair, and make a leap of faith toward something you want. All the info you’ve needed has been posted here previously, so unless you’re content to sit back and watch California go down the toilet, do your homework and get yourself out here!!

Participant
    Quote:
    Why not just got an F (Business) visa? There are no requirements. Just buy it in HK, the cost is about 4,000-5,000 yuan for a year long visa for Americans.

So this price is only for americans? I am from Mexico and I am trying to find a way to stay here in Chengdu.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    So this price is only for americans? I am from Mexico and I am trying to find a way to stay here in Chengdu.

The price is exorbitantly high because the United States makes it very difficult for Chinese citizens to immigrate or travel in the US. High cost and selection process, etc. China makes visas expensive for Americans in diplomatic retaliation.

Participant

So I am guessing Z visas are way cheaper for non-americans .

Keymaster
    Quote:
    So I am guessing Z visas are way cheaper for non-americans.

Yeah, Z-visas are way cheaper for anyone, Americans included.

Participant

Yeah, Z-visas are way cheaper for anyone, Americans included

Do you know what are the requirements? Is it necessary to go to Hong Kong to get this Z visa? Can i just get it here in Chengdu?

Participant
    Quote:

Wait, what?! I’ve been hassling with tourist visa’s for the past half year because I thought it was impossible to get a business visa without some kind of proven business or invite. (from inside China L-to-F is currently impossible with Shan Shui)

You can just apply for a multi entry F visa in HK or Europe for 1 year? There are no requirements!?

Participant

This is what I find on the website of the Chinese embassy:

Quote:
    (iii) The applicants who apply for F-visa with single or double entries should provide

(A) the return flight ticket and the booking document of hotel in China, and

(B) visa notification issued by an authorized unit in China (a visa notification form refers to the form of visa notification issued by the Chinese governmental departments, companies and social organizations authorized by the Chinese Foreign Ministry), or

(C) letter of invitation issued by a state-owned enterprise, collectively-owned enterprise joint venture, solely-owned or private enterprise, or

(D) invitation cards of various kinds of trade fairs or GuangDong Trade Exibhihitions.

I’m confused.

Participant
    Quote:
    This is what I find on the website of the Chinese embassy

Is this the chinese embassy in Hong Kong?

Quote:
    So I am guessing Z visas are way cheaper for non-americans.

Yeah, Z-visas are way cheaper for anyone, Americans included.

My bad, I was talking about this F business visa.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.