Questioning carnism?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionQuestioning carnism?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This topic is for folks interested in transitioning out of carnism (flesh consumption).

All others please disregard.

Believe it or not, it’s easy to stop supporting the animal agriculture industry, even in China. Just about every Chinese restaurant has options and inquiring about the oil is easy enough. The Happy Cow app lists plenty of pure vegan restaurants and even at least one buffet right here in Chengdu. You CAN do it. If you are one of those folks finding it difficult, just think about the hall of nightmares that is the industry you’re considering withdrawing your support from.

FREE vegan comedy film on youtube. Carnage: Swallowing the past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsTzVmRfsZY

Suggested Documentaries:

Cowspiracy

What The Health

Earthings (Straight up truth. Hard to watch, but if you’re still a carnist then you honestly have no choice).

Again…

If you’re not considering transitioning out of carnism, please post elsewhere. Thank you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Keymaster

Please remember that this forum is a resource to share information about life in Chengdu. If you would like to share information about how to maintain a vegan lifestyle in Chengdu, that is no problem. However lecturing people on what they should do out of moral duty and preemptively telling those who would disagree to go elsewhere is not cool. I have posted this response instead of deleting the thread outright as a courtesy.

Participant

Thank you for your courtesy Mod. I politely disagree and would appreciate the opportunity to clarify further.

Looking to share information about carnism and support those who might be struggling with it is quite literally information based.

The entirety of the post is support oriented.

Asking people who aren’t interested in supported to post elsewhere is because it’s a support thread. Not a debate thread.

I have to disagree with the lecturing comment too. The one sentence that you might be responding is most likely:

“If you are one of those folks finding it difficult, just think about the hall of nightmares that is the industry you’re considering withdrawing your support from.”

Again support oriented. I am truly sorry if you found it personally inflammatory. I will try to consider those reactions in the future.

Thanks Moderator.

Participant

The entirety of the post is support oriented.

My baby loves fish, I mean, as pets. We have plenty of fish of varying species, and she loves to feed them and watch them eat the food as it hits the surface and they nibble away, some other species wait for it to float down and the flakes become edible for different types of fish. She loves feeding the fish.

Then we cook fish for dinner, and I explain the difference, and she savours the flesh of the animals similar to those we care for. Then I read posts like this, and think you need to get more into the acid-trip-y part of hippy lifestyle than the jump-on-a-cause portion, because fuck you, don’t tell other people how to live their lives or what to eat or do, I hope you’re eaten by some cows.

I personally haven’t endeavored to rid myself of such primal indulgences – I have been walking down the hall of nightmares my entire life. Though I’m not a transitioning I do consider myself diet-fluid (note: this is not the same as an all-fluid diet).

My 2 cents (since you explicitly stated you didn’t want it): China seems a tough place to do it. I’ll warn you though: having ordered for people observing vegetarian (non-carnism, for the layman) and other meat-excluding diets, these requests are often lost on normal waiters and waitresses at the average restaurant. Unless it’s a specialty vegetarian/vegan restaurant, this will certainly be an uncommon request, meaning you may get a nod and an understanding “uhn” but rarely is the request actually totally understood, let alone carried out. So asking for no meat may work at Lotus on the Water, but this method may not work at the average restaurant. Good luck resisting your carnal urges!

Participant

My hope for this thread is to offer information where there is none, and to those looking for it.

If you aren’t too effected by the language of defensive reactions. I promise you, it is very doable – even here in Chengdu. 🙂

Anyone seeking more information, I strongly suggest the film What The Health.

http://www.whatthehealthfilm.com/

Keymaster

To bring this up again: are there any vegan or vegetarian restaurants in Chengdu to recommend in particular? Recently someone was asking me this and I wasn’t sure if there were any restaurants in Chengdu that are favorites for people with these dietary restrictions.

Participant

Here is a link from the ChengduExpat group on WeChat that lists a number of veg/vegan spots.

http://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/k5RlC3pDcEic_bU–DQDjg

Participant

To bring this up again: are there any vegan or vegetarian restaurants in Chengdu to recommend in particular? Recently someone was asking me this and I wasn’t sure if there were any restaurants in Chengdu that are favorites for people with these dietary restrictions.

One of my favorite restaurants in Chengdu is a vegetarian/vegan (I’m quite sure it’s vegan, but I guess it depends slightly on what people include in that classification)

It’s on Babao Jie (near luoma square, very close to the subway exit) on the 4th floor of platinum plaza, called Vegetarian Life? I think in English. It’s really really good – clean, comfortable, good service, wonderful presentation, etc. The price has risen since the first few years it was around, and they may have additional locations now but I’m not sure. Whenever I’m in the vicinity I make it a point to go there, they also have wonderfully healthy/pulpy fresh juice mixes but they’re relatively pricy.

Keymaster

To bring this up again: are there any vegan or vegetarian restaurants in Chengdu to recommend in particular? Recently someone was asking me this and I wasn’t sure if there were any restaurants in Chengdu that are favorites for people with these dietary restrictions.

One of my favorite restaurants in Chengdu is a vegetarian/vegan

Here is a link

Great, thanks!

Participant

That’s really sweet of you Charlie, right on. The best advice to give to a vegan abroad is Happycow.net

Done.   =)

Participant

It’s not blocked so it’s super easy to use with a Chinese phone browser. Ton’s of great options here in Chengdu. They’ll be very happy. Also, if you know any vegans interested in joining a vegan chatgroup, send them my way.

Wechat: Emmett2019

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.