Raspberry Pi Airplay Tutorial

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionRaspberry Pi Airplay Tutorial

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

An alternative to this would be to use an XBMC distro:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Raspberry_Pi

I find openelec to be the best.

Then go to System/Settings -> Network -> Services and enable AirPlay

Participant

I think openelec is what they used in LeTV or xiaomiTV

Participant

Soon there will be a bunch of  smart TV brands in China.

Keymaster

Awesome, thanks! This is one of the things that I’ve been meaning to do with the Pi. Same functionality as an Airport Express at 1/5 of the cost.

Participant

Normally if people wants Airplay they need an Apple TV, while a truth is Apple TV will never be full utilized in China. This is a long tutorial even involved server setup, but in general it’s a really simple flow.

Participant

Normally if people wants Airplay they need an Apple TV, while a truth is Apple TV will never be full utilized in China.

Personally I wouldn’t want to use any “smart TV” functionality – AirPlay and similar is the way to go in my opinion. I much rather control the media playback via a tablet or phone and just stream it to the TV.

They serve as far better remote controls than the Apple TV and competitors’ remotes and have good performance – no need to pack performance into Apple TV or similar. One device less to continuously upgrade.

Participant

same way using <Remote> app control ITunes. For TV sure Apple will release an app called TV Remote probably. LOL.

Apple TV just not that useful sometime, with that price.

Participant

same way using <Remote> app control ITunes. For TV sure Apple will release an app called TV Remote probably. LOL.

Apple TV just not that useful sometime, with that price.

Not following 🙂 Apple TV isn’t sold in mainland China as far as I know. Can be bought on Taobao for around 600 CNY. Totally reasonable price I think. I’m super happy with my Apple TV. If you got one or more iOS devices that you want to play content from on your TV then I think 600 CNY is a very reasonable price.

Sure there’s alternatives like for example Chrome cast which are cheaper, but Chrome cast is another proprietary streaming protocol and don’t work as smoothly with iOS devices as AirPlay does.

Keymaster

If you got one or more iOS devices that you want to play content from on your TV then I think 600 CNY is a very reasonable price. Sure there’s alternatives like for example Chrome cast which are cheaper, but Chrome cast is another proprietary streaming protocol and don’t work as smoothly with iOS devices as AirPlay does.

I don’t have one at home but I use Airplay on Apple TV’s at work a lot. They work fantastically, streaming from your laptop to Apple TV is incredibly seamless and easy.

Participant

Can be bought on Taobao for around 600 CNY.

How!!!!! could it be that cheap!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.