Real IMAX

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I really want to see Skyfall in IMAX format. Wanda says it’s IMAX, but i have been there and it aint. Somebody told me East music park has the real deal. Does anybody know?

Keymaster

We used to go inside that theater, for years, while it was under construction… I think construction is finished now, but I’m not sure if the theater is actually open. Aside from Wanda, to my knowledge, there is nothing that is IMAX certified that I know of.

The theater at Bailian Tianfu (at the intersection of Kehua Beilu and 1st Ring Road) has a DMAX theater. It’s clearly and IMAX rip-off, but the screen is gigantic and the sound is great. I like that theater a lot, even though the Raffles City theater is supposed to be a really well-respected company, I still prefer the Bailian Tianfu spot.

Participant

Theater in East Music Park is opened and have IMAX, a chinese friend that have bar here said to me…

Aside from IMAX (which would be awesome to watch Skyfall on I’m sure!), does anyone know of any VIP cinema seating in Chengdu? I want to go with a small group of friends and sink into a Lazyboy chair for the movie.

Participant
    Quote:
    does anyone know of any VIP cinema seating in Chengdu?

Raffles has VIP, but I don’t know what the seats are like. Maybe give them a call

Quote:
    Raffles has VIP

Thanks, I’ll check that out.

Participant

According to the IMAX website, it says there’s 5 IMAX cinemas in Chengdu including Wanda!

Participant

The newish Wanda Plaza on the north first ring road, metro L1, has a IMAX like the ones I’ve been to in the West:

– Big slightly curved screen (comparable in size to Bailian Tianfu DMAX)

– Steep seating in the theatre (some 400 seats I guess)

They even have a plaque outside saying it’s the 100th IMAX in China (apparently from the IMAX corporation).

I think the standard price for Skyfall might be 50RMB.

Participant

Hopefully we can have updated information on this, as I really want to know also.

First of all usually “real imax” means “analog 70mm” instead of “digital imax” (as digital imax is still quite limiting in resolution), but I think in this case we are talking about “digital Imax that’s not a chinese fake”

I tried Eastern Music Park Imax for the Hobbit. There was no info whether it would show in HFR or regular 3d. but it was very clear that it was regular 3d as the frame-rate was terrible, every action movement was a blur.

But regular 3d or not, I’m curious if it’s even imax at all, as imax is supposed to have very high sound quality. I would be very suspicious that it’s not in any way imax as sound quality didn’t sound good (but could of course just be all in my head since I don’t have a side by side comparison).

I would be very curious if the imax at Global Center is better.

Keymaster

I wouldn’t believe anything that you hear in China regarding what is or isn’t real IMAX. Try Google searching for this though and you get a short list of theaters: “site:imax.com chengdu”

Participant

Imax website lists many theathers in Chengdu as Imax, even the wanda ones that Ian says is definitely not Imax.

So I don’t think they are completely fake, but I suspect these Chinese partners (uacinemas, cinecube etc) are simply purchasing imax name and films but taking huge shortcuts on other things. Imax themselves may have very limited say on what the imax partners do.

Which is a shame, the hobbit trailer looks waaaaay better on my laptop screen than the movie did on imax at eastern music park

Keymaster

Imax website lists many theathers in Chengdu as Imax, even the wanda ones that Ian says is definitely not Imax. So I don’t think they are completely fake, but I suspect these Chinese partners (uacinemas, cinecube etc) are simply purchasing imax name and films but taking huge shortcuts on other things. Imax themselves may have very limited say on what the imax partners do. Which is a shame, the hobbit trailer looks waaaaay better on my laptop screen than the movie did on imax at eastern music park

Interesting. I’m surprised that IMAX would allow that. Glad I didn’t bother to see The Hobbit in theaters now. Nine times out of ten I prefer to watch movies at home anyway.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.