Recommended Local Restaurants?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionRecommended Local Restaurants?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Hey all,

I just moved here from Beijing and am interested in trying some good local restaurants/meeting some people. I would love to hear your suggestions and if anyone has any sort of weekly try-a-new-place group, I’d love to come along!

(also I’m not a huge hot pot fan…)

Thanks-

Kelsey

Participant

Welcome to Chengdu! As a fellow fan of good food, I’ve been exploring what’s around since I arrived back in August and have found a few good spots, but am always interested in trying something new. Is there any food in particular that you’re searching for, or just in general anything and everything? I would love to get plugged in to a group, too…let me know if you find anything!

Participant

i’d love to join such group, esp when there are loads of group-buying offers going on 😉 http://www.tuan800.com/chengdu/meishitianxia

i recently moved to Yulin near Nijiaqiao, lots of restaurants around, very tempting everyday. the restaurant i dont mind going again and again in chengdu is dahaiwan (cantonese style), i also like to try new things though

Participant

The Panda Breeding Center is absolute a must visit.And at this time of year,you can see newborn pandas,they are really cute.

It is in the XinDu district of ChengDu city.And if you have enough time,you can try some local food there.

You can have a look at my earlier post of ChengDu snacks,what I have mentioned in the post are all specialties in XinDu.If you are interested and need help or detailed suggestions,leave me a message,It’s my pleasure to offer help.(my email is:valley_cdfun888)

Kelsey,I’m not sure if you are fond of peppery food.Zigong Epicure outside SiChuan university

is a restaurant popular with the students.I found fish there tasty and not expensive either.And also stewed pork leg is worth a try.

Thanks for the advice! I’m looking for both western food and good sichuan food. For western, if there is any place with good hummus/falafel that would be fantastic. For Chinese I’d love to try some local dishes of the non-hot pot variety. Spicy is definitely OK. If anyone has any ideas maybe we can meet up somewhere and try it out?

Also, the Spot apparently has a Mediterranean night on Tuesdays? Anyone interested?

Participant

I’m game for trying out the Spot. Wanna aim for next Tuesday, the 3rd?

Participant

@Kelsey @Miya @Valley @Beka let’s form a group!!!

Participant

Sounds like a plan! I’m in!

Participant

If anyone got an idea of the weekly trying group-plz mail mee! [email protected]

Participant

Good local restaurants are not hard to find, every area has many restaurants that severe good quality Sichuan food. The art only is to know what to order and find a good balance in your choices. If you are not familiar with reading characters or menus, my advice is to look at what others eat, order and write down/remember the name. Or read thru the guide thats on ChengduLiving.

More cheap looking restaurants, ‘whole in a wall’ restaurants, offer the most basic and famous homestyle sichuan dishes. Fancier places offer a more fancier version obviously but also fancier Sichuan dishes. For something different I really like this place DaDongBei 大东北,in Wuhouci area.

Participant

OP asks for some good local restaurant and you guys end up going to The Spot? Seriously, guys?

Even mentioning that place in this thread is a disgrace.

Participant

I’m sure it’ll just a planning meal for all of the wonderful local restaurants we shall soon adventure to!

Haha, Vincent if you have any other suggestions for Mediterranean food I’m all ears.

Next week on the third sounds good! @bekah @miya @valley @ono @anyone else who is interested, how about 7 PM?

Participant

just googled the Spot, unlike most local restaurants it seems they are very keen in online marketing and have a strong presence in weibo~ it’s very interesting to see how @Vincent’s comment differ from what I read elsewhere, would be more interesting to see if the Spot would spot this post and reply with creative customer relation tactics.

I dont mind give it a go first next Tue, will PM @Kelsey. ^^ i hope it wouldn’t be ‘lebanese themed’ night as I dont think lebanese would be pleased to see it happen in this restaurant~~ kidding.

@Ye Ming thanks, I really like some dishes in dongbei cuisine but hate dumplings (dull, after the third one), might check out dadongbei sometime 😉

Miya.

Participant

All if you want mediterranean food head to Safari or Sultan. Safari 7 Kehuazhonglu 301 Jinyinhui 3F. Sultan 1 Yulin Nan Jie, No.14 Dushi Jin’an Bldg…. Safari has the best deal they have a really good set menu.

Keymaster

Safari is pretty fantastic, you should check that place out. It’s probably a little bit more expensive than The Spot, but they specialize in Mediterranian food. Opened by a guy from Dubai, Sam.

The Sultan used to be good but it has gone downhill in recent years, as mentioned recently in another thread on here.

Participant

Haha,sounds great.

@Kelsey Grandma Stews,2 minutes’ walk from the West Gate of Sichuan University.

Food there has a subtle taste and you can have a try if you are interested in food not that spicy.Stewed dishes are plentiful there.

Participant

The Pug, Cakey Butta, Chongqing hotpot in Yulin, street BBQ, your local Chinese Muslim shop, the Hot Dog place in Raffle’s.. These are just a few of my fav’s. Avoid KFC and McD’s as much as possible.. And the spot? BLASPHEMY! I am a die hard pugger, ill cut myself before i ever step foot there!!! Note: I am wearing my pug shirt at work :).

If you have a big group, you can go to Korean BBQ, there are a ton of those around the city. I might organize a huge group in the next few weeks, those who like to join send me your wechat and ill plan accordingly.

Im keen to join next tuesday! I can bring my new flatmate from france to, he has only been here for two weeks and would love to meet some new people!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.