Robot Muay Thai Gym

HomeForumsIn ChengduRobot Muay Thai Gym

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Muay Thai Gym located near Lan Kwai Fang http://j.map.baidu.com/CMVFi

Class times:

Wednesday: 4-6pm

Monday-Saturday: 8-10pm

6 months 1800 RMB

1 year 2400 RMB

(somewhat negotiable from my experience)

Come try a free session!

Participant

Just have a few quick questions if you don’t mind:

Who is the instructor(s)? Are there any mma fighters training out of this gym? And, are there ever any Muay Thai events in Chengdu?

I’d love to come check out the gym when I’m in town

Participant

Hey,

Couldnt tell you the instructors names and no, there arent any mma fighters there except for myself and I’ve been focusing on standup for quite a while.

This gym is cheaper than the other muay thai gyms I’ve looked at and the instructor does train everyone in muay thai and not kung fu, which I found refreshing. The gym is large and clean and the hours more friendly for someone working afternoons.

From what I’m hearing there arent many muay thai events here in chengdu. I’m headed to mianyang sunday to check out a small smoker event which is where I’m told most of the fights are held. Mianyang is an hour north of chengdu.

There is a gym that is opening later this month that will have MMA classes west of tianfu square. Their webpage is cdbjj.org

Keymaster

A Muay Thai gym in Chengdu – finally! I will definitely check this place out, thanks for posting the info.

Participant

There are actually quite a few muay thai gyms in the area (Chengdu, Mianyang, and Wenjiang). The problem is finding a decent trainer (my favorite trainer is in wenjiang at the moment. He’s a good guy, unfortunately the gym is just too far away.) Most the of the muay thai practitioners that I have met here are good fighters, but bad trainers. There are several reasons for this; the students don’t want to spar (especially with foreigners) or don’t take sparing serious, the trainers don’t have enough experience in Thailand, The trainers are too concerned with their own notoriety and money, classes are too unstructured, etc. The key to being a good trainer is helping your clients reach their goals and keeping it interesting. You have to love what you do, not the money that it can bring you. A lot of the gyms here do the same thing day in and day out and never add any variance; it’s easier that way and most of the people have never trained with anyone else so they don’t know any better.

As for events, there are going to be more major events in the future, but for now smoker fights are limited to Mianyang.

As for MMA, there are no good MMA trainers in Chengdu. BJJ and MMA are not the same thing. You can’t possibly teach MMA with only studying BJJ. Holding pads and teaching someone how to set up wrestling takedowns is an art just like rolling. Anyone can hold pads, just like anyone can choke a guy. The key is knowing the technique and being able to teach it. It is possible that Jerry is working with Moko, but I would refer you to my statements above about local trainers and point out that Moko reffed an MMA match where a guy took an illegal headkick while down and Moko did nothing but look at the judges outside the ring. If you are seriously interested in MMA I would suggest you move to Xian and work with Vaughn Anderson. Vaughn is hands down the best foreign fighter in China and has done an amazing job helping Wang Sai become the best welterweight in the country.

I myself am an ISSA certified personal trainer. I am currently training people out of Somerset Riverview Serviced Residence and helping design the new gym at the Ascott residence at Raffles City. I would like to open my own location in a few months, but no promises. I trained in Mianyang with Li Qing for about 4 years and know a lot of the trainers and gym owners in the area. I have rolled with a few black belts, purple belts, and blue belts in Thailand, but don’t have any belts of my own because I haven’t found anyone who is qualified to award belts in Sichuan. I wrestled in high school and have also trained in Thailand with a few professioanl MMA fighters. I hope to travel to Ole Laursen’s new gym in Boracay very soon and brush up on my boxing and get a chance to roll with some top notch guys. I have talked with Vaughn in the past about coming to Chengdu for a seminar and hope to get him here in a few months to show everyone what a true MMA fighter/trainer looks like.

If you are seriously interested in MMA and would like to train you can contact me at EliteFitnessChengdu @ Outlook . com or on qq 2521960698. If there are enough people I can try to put together a class and get some top level guys to come out once a month or so to run some seminars. I know a number of fighters in Asia and would love to be able to provide them with the opportunity to come to Chengdu, but I need to get a large enough class together to make it worth their time.

Keymaster

There are actually quite a few muay thai gyms in the area (Chengdu, Mianyang, and Wenjiang). The problem is finding a decent trainer (my favorite trainer is in wenjiang at the moment.

No kidding – for years there have been posts on here with people requesting information on muay thai (like this and this). Kung Fu has always been around, the most well known teacher being Li Qian – Sascha even wrote about him: Kung Fu Family in Chengdu.

It sounds like you know what’s up though Collin, thanks for sharing this info. Good luck with your gym at Raffles City, that’s a great location for a gym.

Hopefully Vaughn Anderson can make it to Chengdu one day as planned previously.

Participant

@Colin: any info re this future gym at Raffles? If rumours are correct, Megafit will be shutsville next year, and Raffles is 5 mins from my place. But at that location, and being a “residence”, is it gonna be another 10k per year gym?

Participant

Most of the instructors I’ve seen in Chengdu have been very bad at instructing and it sounds like there are a lot of better gyms outside of Chengdu, but I’m living in Chengdu now, so I’ll just have to deal.I was actually pretty excited when I found moko, as it looked pretty legit, but went to two classes and no one showed up but one person one of the days. The door remained locked the other and I’m far too busy to maybe be training.

The sparring in this place (Chengdu) is horrific from what I’ve seen. A bit too hard. If anyone who hasn’t trained before doesn’t understand what I mean its like this: When you’ve never sparred before you throw pretty hard out of fear and don’t really know how to control your power. You act like you’re actually fighting. After training for sometime, you learn to relax and just work, using power when necessary. I couldn’t tell you how long it takes for this to happen, but it does and its quite evident when it hasn’t. I’ve seen a lot of hasn’t here..

Now, the main reason I posted the info for this gym is so that someone could find info on a gym. There isn’t hardly any information on this damn internet regarding gyms in this town. It would be nice to have a page with all of their contact info and prices. This was my attempt to begin that project.

As for MMA, Jerry isn’t teaching the MMA class at this new gym, a foreigner would be, but I’m not sure what his name was. I’m also not sure of his record or experience, but until there is another joint open with someone more adorned than he, I suggest you check out Jerry’s and avoid going to just any gym that has “MMA” posted in their window.

No matter what you do, be careful. There doesn’t seem to be much thought about the possibility of injury when instructors implement exercise routines. Just compare the driving back home to the driving here and you can get an idea of how amplified the chance of injury is. Again, the only exception I’ve personally seen was Jerry’s where there was a controlled environment to roll and everyone was aware that there wasn’t a real fight going on and someone competent was overseeing the session.

I’ve personally been training for about 5 years on and off (mostly on) and have decided to stick with fixing my own errors and choose working alone to the alternative of taking bad instruction. The coaches at Robot give me pointers here and there, but aren’t all offended when I just do my own thing either.

I’d like to have more people to train with here that are serious about training and I also don’t mind teaching anyone new the basics of stand up and if you have experience perhaps we can spar and give each other some pointers.

I am also in the process of finishing up my ISSA certification and soon will be able to confidently create exercise drills and routines for any beginners interested in training. Send me a PM if you wanna check this place out, or just show up and perhaps we’ll run into each other.

Keymaster

Now, the main reason I posted the info for this gym is so that someone could find info on a gym. There isn’t hardly any information on this damn internet regarding gyms in this town. It would be nice to have a page with all of their contact info and prices. This was my attempt to begin that project.

I can help with that. Although there’s only two gyms listed on Chengdu Places (both of which I’ve been a member at), the platform itself makes it pretty fast and easy to add new places. Shoot me an email if you want to talk about it, charlie at chengduliving.com

Participant

I can help with that. Although there’s only two gyms listed on Chengdu Places (both of which I’ve been a member at), the platform itself makes it pretty fast and easy to add new places. Shoot me an email if you want to talk about it, charlie at chengduliving.com

Sweet. I’ll be in touch.

Participant

Hey thanks a lot for the info guys.

@Collin
    I wouldn’t say I take mma altogether too seriously, being primarily (pretty much entirely) a bjj guy. I used to do more standup and more wrestling when I was gung-ho and into it and really wanted to fight, but the two amateur fights (which weren’t even full-rules!) I did end up having and the kind of training I had to do just for that convinced me I wasn’t cut out to be an mma fighter 😛 Good luck in starting up your gym, I’d love to come check it out some day.

I am very excited to train in Chengdu, even if things are in the start-up phase. I have the privilege of training at an incredible gym here at home so I know it’s going to be an adjustment no matter what, but I’m just glad to know there will be some guys to roll with.

Is JerryS still instructing in Chengdu?

Keymaster

Is JerryS still instructing in Chengdu?

He is, but he’s in the States right now I think. He should be returning soon.

Participant

Thanks Andrew. I actually just got a message today from a friend telling me that there is a new MMA camp opening up in Chengdu. I haven’t had a chance to talk with the owner yet, but it is supposedly the largest MMA site in China, 30 acres, including basketball courts, a football field, and an indoor training center. I know it is in the beginning stages, but from what I have heard they are looking to bring in some top notch trainers (muay thai, boxing, wrestling, bjj).

I can’t post too much info now because I don’t know that much, but I am hoping to meet up with the owner next week. I will post all the details as soon as I can. It looks like Chengdu is going to have it’s first real MMA training center very soon. I can’t wait!

Participant

He guys, thanks for all the info!Came to Chengdu 1 month ago, and feel the urge to get back to the gym asap.

I like the info about Robot Muay Thai, unfortunately the link in the text doesn’t work, could anyone get me the address for Robots’ gym? Google let me down and my Chinees isn’t good enough to use Baidu..

As soon as the address is posted I will be at the gym!

Thank you in advance

Jerôme

Participant

8615928427258 – Andy

Im back in the states, but my friend Andy is still out at Robot. Tell him who you are and what the deal is, I’m sure he’d be more than happy to help you out

Participant

Hey,

I’ve got a couple questions regarding the robot gym. First off…I’ve been training boxing and kickboxing for about a two years. I didn’t do much sparring back home but would like go start. Will it be a problem that I’m a girl fighting at this gym? And are the classes instructed in Chinese? (Not a problem, simply curious!)

I’m also looking for an address as Baidu isn’t working on my device.

Let me know. Thanks in advance!

Keymaster

Is this place still around? I’d be interested in checking it out also if it is.

Participant

It’s still around. My friend teaches MMA there ever Wednesday night. Check it out., very spacious gym. Also there is one guy to avoid there. He injured a few of my students. Not sure if it was intentionally, but more than 2 guys got hurt. I would avoid him just to be safe…

Participant

Instruction is in Chinese. There were a few girls training when I was there, don’t imagine it’ll be an issue. Contact Andy mentioned above for help finding the place

Participant

A couple of friends and I went to a muay thai gym on the west side of the river (across from lang kuai fong). I’d say we were all a bit disappointed (2 guys who have been fighting for years, a girl that trained in thailand, yself who have just done judo for years, and a pair of super fit randoms/body builders). There was no direction and no instruction on movements, no group training or fitness. It was basically “ok run around til your sweaty then jup in the ring and start hitting each other”. no technical instruction at all until the guys grabbed the instructor and made him teach us something.
    Then when we all tried sparring none of the chinese guys would fight us girls, there were 2 chinese girls who shadow boxed cuz they were too small to fight anyone, etc. Wierdly enough a bunch of those guys had great english. Finally one of the male students came to fight with us girls and our guy friends just sparred with each other. we had fun but it was more despite everything. I wouldnt pay just for that “class” for sure because I didnt get my moneys worth.
    I wonder if you went to the same place? maybe they fixed it up since october…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.