Rock Climbing in Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduRock Climbing in Chengdu

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Participant

There should be outdoor climbs that are suitable for beginners, so it’s really only a matter of safety- if someone there knows how to set up the rope and belay, then the others can climb.

OTOH, if you have to ride a bus, pay a driver, etc, then you might get more enjoyment out of going to the gym a few times. You might end up paying a bunch of money and spending all day traveling just to climb for 15 minutes.

Participant

I would like to try an outdoor beginner’s rockclimbing course. Do you need special equipment or is it provided?

Participant

I’m pretty sure the folks at Survivor do some guiding, don’t know how much it costs. I’m sure they would provide gear too.

Hook me up with a ride and I’ll happily belay!

Participant

If you’re looking for classes, Dragon Expeditons is the name I keep hearing. They haven’t got anything about rock climbing on their site (that I could see) but if you call them I’m guessing they’ll have something going on. Honestly, if it’s your first time going climbing, you’d probably get more out of a ropework/canyoneering course, which is like rock climbing except you start at the top of something awesome and lower down.

Whatever you do, don’t go ziplining.

Participant

I’d like to try and bring this thread back to life 🙂 Does anybody feel like doing some rock climbing this Friday afternoon at Chengdu University of Technology (成都理工大学)? I have never been there but I just got off the phone with someone in charge there about going climbing this week. It costs 20 yuan/person.

Here is a photo of their wall that I found on the internet and I have heard that it’s 13 meters tall, which makes it the tallest in Chengdu (I could be wrong, though).

http://img3.douban.com/pview/event_poster/raw/public/637a3c37875c5d2.jpg

I’m thinking if we could have a couple of people going there each week, maybe we could make it a regular exercise/fun activity? Please let me know what you guys think 🙂

Participant

Is the place in Tongzalin still open?

Participant

Yep, actually it’s under new ownership now and they’ve done a lot of renovations. New wall, a slackline, and a 5-6 meter high outdoor wall with ropes. The new guy seems pretty serious and does a fair deal of outdoor climbing as well, sounds like he’s got some pretty cool plans for the place in the future.

Participant

Hey guys,

My name is Helena, and I am a Chengdu native who has lived in Vancouver, Canada for the past 13 years, but I am finally coming back for a visit between Dec. 23 and Jan. 6. I would love to get some climbs in, and meet more people in this lovely city. I’d be down for climbing both indoors/outdoors. You can hit me up on wechat at helenaxzhu. Happy holidays!

Participant

Good day folks,

Climbing… What’s happening? Is there a group? Is there a repository of local crags listed somewhere?  What’s the scene like? Sport? Trad?

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.