rowing in/near chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral Discussionrowing in/near chengdu

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

19 days and counting till I move to Chengdu! I had seen online that the Sichuan Aquatic School is located close to Chengdu, and that they have a man-made rowing course and boathouse. I’ve rowed for 6 years (four at university) and would very much like to keep it up. Does anyone know anything about the program they have there? I’ve tried emailing to an address that I found in a PDF, but it got bounced back as undeliverable. Does anyone know of a club crew team anywhere near the city? I know rowing hadn’t been all that popular in China, until recently when the government looked to develop the sport for the Olympics. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

-Peter

Keymaster

I have never seen anyone rowing in Chengdu before, although there are rivers all over the place. It sounds like the kind of thing that you should be able to find if you look hard enough. Also, be careful not to fall into the river if you’re in the vicinity of Chengdu! If you go an hour or more outside of Chengdu the rivers are clean in a lot of places, too.

Participant

Good time to ask questions.

3:00 pm on July 26, “2010 China International Collegiate Rowing Challenge Xinjin press conference” in the State Sports General Administration of Press Hall, in the August 7 this year, there will be from the United Kingdom Oxford, Cambridge, United States, Harvard, Princeton and other elite of the rowing team in the world and China’s Tsinghua University, South China Normal University,the University rowing team ,will in Chengdu Xinjin for a grand occasion of Rowing Competition.

Approval by the State Sports General Administration, by the Chinese Rowing Association, organized by Chengdu Municipal Government, Chengdu Sports Bureau, Xinjin County People’s Government hosted the 2010 China International Famous Xinjin Rowing Challenge on August 7 this year at the Chengdu Xinjin water sports school in Sichuan Province held. Then, from Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard University, Yale University, Princeton University, New Zealand Otago University, University of London, Italy Pavia University and Qinghua University, South China Normal University, 10 domestic and top names Men’s rowing team will compete enthusiastically school eight-oars with coxswain project site will also offer water-skiing shows, parachute performance, motorboat show, hot air balloon show. Meanwhile, the traditional Dragon Boat will debut Xinjin, add to the fun luster.

As a non-material cultural heritage protection projects in Chengdu, Xinjin dragon boat races began in the Tang Dynasty.

Today, dragon boat races have been deduced in Watertown Xinjin richer exciting content. “Xinjin we host international water sports competitions.” According to the State Sports General Administration of Sport Liu Gang, deputy director of sports management introduced within the water sports school in Sichuan Province is not only to provide professional technical support for water sports, the stadium has reached the big game and water contractors project level, have been held in 2009, the international elite rowing performance.

I do not know the translation was right, accompanied by Chinese:

7月26日下午3:00,“2010中国新津国际名校赛艇挑战赛新闻发布会”在国家体育总局新闻发布厅举行,在今年的8月7日,将有来自英国的牛津、剑桥、美国的哈佛、普林斯顿等世界名校的赛艇队和中国的清华、华南师范大学赛艇队在成都的新津进行一场盛况空前的大学赛艇比赛。

经国家体育总局批准,由中国赛艇协会、成都市人民政府主办,成都市体育局、新津县人民政府承办的2010中国新津国际名校赛艇挑战赛将于今年8月7日在位于成都新津的四川省水上运动学校举办。届时,来自牛津大学、剑桥大学、哈佛大学、耶鲁大学、普林斯顿大学、新西兰奥塔哥大学、伦敦大学、意大利巴维亚大学和清华大学、华南师范大学的10支国内外顶级名校赛艇队将热烈角逐男子八人单桨有舵手项目,现场还将献上滑水表演、动力伞表演、摩托艇表演、热气球表演等。同时,新津传统龙舟将闪亮登场,助兴添彩。

作为成都市非物质文化遗产保护项目,新津龙舟竞渡始于唐代。

如今,龙舟竞渡在水城新津已演绎出更加丰富精彩的内涵。“新津有条件举办国际水上运动比赛。”据国家体育总局水上运动管理中心副主任刘刚介绍,境内的四川省水上运动学校不仅提供专业水上运动技术支撑,其运动场也达到了承办大型比赛和水上项目的水平,2009年曾举办过国际名校赛艇表演。

Participant

International University and Rowing Team Introduction

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2010-07-26/15065121655.shtml

Participant

oh~~ not International University and Rowing Team Introduction

its World University Rowing Championship

Thanks Charlie and Shinichi. There’s a lot of good information here. I’ve found that, no matter what country you’re in, where there are rivers, there will be rowers. I’ll just have to search around until I find a club team.

Participant

You’re welcome, Good luck

Did you hear about this? I stumbled across it in the news today: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/07/31/england.rowing.record

Participant

Thank you Matt, glad to seen the competition News

Anyone have any new info about rowing in/around Chengdu? I may have found a source to buy a rowing machine (damn expensive though). Anyone know ANY gym in CD that has a Concept2 brand indoor rower? One can hope…

Participant

Hi Peter,

Did you have any luck tracking down a rowing club?

I’m looking at moving to somewhere in Sichuan province to study Mandarin this coming year. Any place with a rowing club definely has an advantage.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Aaron

Quote:
    Anyone know ANY gym in CD that has a Concept2 brand indoor rower? One can hope…

My gym (MegaFit @ Top City, Chunxi Lu) has 2 (or 3, I forget) Concept 2’s, and they’re in good shape too.

Let us know what you turn up on the rowing front.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.