San Sheng Xiang (Flower Town)

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionSan Sheng Xiang (Flower Town)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have heard on the grapevine that San Sheng Xiang in the south of Chengdu is closing the flower market(s).

Has anyone got any more information that would either confirm or refute this and is there or will there be any comparable alternative to this very popular attraction.

Keymaster

I heard this also, I believe that it’s true. They apparently closed the main flower market on February 20th, but there are still flower vendors there. I’m not sure what it looks like at this point, though. Sad news for sure.

Participant

Panic over. We went out there yesterday and it’s expanding. What they appear to have done is to close down the old market(s) & shops on the west side of the man road in favor of the east side of the main road. The east side is flourishing and expanding and, reportedly, there are no known plans to turn it into a residential area or whatever. Certainly not this week. 🙂

Keymaster

That’s great news. Thanks for the update. This last weekend it must have been packed. Spring is here!

Participant

In a recent visit to Flower Town it seems as if the rumors of closure were correct. There was one glass house still standing but traders were having closing down sales. One trader thought that they would be moving back across the other side of the main road while another said that they were moving to a market in Longquan.

Keymaster

A friend who lives there told me they have plans to construct a large new greenhouse market. Who knows if that’s true though, or upon what timeline it will happen. He still enjoys living there but says it’s not the same as it was.

Participant

Thanks for the info Charlie. I can only say that SOMETHING is happening out there based on the fact that they have thumping great trenches where the road used to be. My gut reaction is that they are starting from scratch and replacing utilities.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.