Sichuan Rugby & Football Tournament 10/26

HomeForumsIn ChengduSichuan Rugby & Football Tournament 10/26

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

On Saturday 26th of October, Chengdu will host Southwest China’s biggest ever expat sporting event! From 11.00am – 5.00pm The two largest sporting expat organisations in the city, namely the IES Global Chengdu International Football League (CIFL) and the Bobcat Chengdu Pandas Rugby Club, will be uniting to put on THE SOUTHWEST SHOWDOWN!!

In football, the CIFL will be able to return the tremendous hospitality shown to them by Kunming Football Club and Chongqing International Football Club when both teams travel here to take part in the inaugural Southwest China Cup. In rugby, the Kunming Flying Tigers and the Chongqing Conquerors will take on the Pandas in the Inaugural Sino 10s West Division. Reflecting the growing bond of friendship between the sports associations of each city, this will become an annual event with the host city rotating between the three cities.

Aside from the sure-to-be epic sports action, there will be lots of activities laid on for kids and supporters. One of the highlights is sure to be the fully stocked bar and barbecue at pitch side. We will also have face-painting and skills schools for kids, as well as a shop with the various clubs’ merchandise for sale. All this accompanied by music played by one of Chengdu’s top Djs, Just Charlie. For supporters there will be free buses to the pitch leaving from the Shamrock at 12pm and 2pm. It’s never been so easy nor so much fun to come and support your local teams!

In the evening there will be a Sichuan Gala Dinner (with free Tsingtao) followed by an awards ceremony from 8.30pm on the Saturday which everyone is welcome to attend (cost 75rmb a head, beer included).

Anyone who has been to a previous Chengdu sporting event will tell you how much fun they are. It’s sure to be a great day so come on down, bring the kids, have a drink, have a bite to eat, make some friends & watch some great sports!

See you at TaiPingSi!!!

Directions right here

For more information or to book a seat at dinner please contact [email protected]

Keymaster

This should be fun, I’m hoping for good weather! I will bring a frisbee and some outdoor speakers along with the Natooke crew. It won’t just be me DJ’ing but I’m not sure who’s going to join at this point.

After these events have concluded I hope everyone comes to Xiong Mao to check out this show, which will be the first big event at Xiong Mao.

Participant

Really looking forward to this. It should be a fun day. 200+ people expected out at taipingsi.

成都雄起!

When do I get to see you guys in action then Peter?

😀

Participant

Sorry for late response Brendan – first Football match at 11.30 & first Rugby Match at 12.00. Will we be seeing you down there?

Will we be seeing you down there?

I was actually curious to watch you training.

Participant

Good stuff, we actually train on Mondays (Fitness & Conditioning), Tuesdays (Contact) and Thursdays (Touch). Unfortunately this week, we have not got our regular pitch for contact so will not be having contact but it will start up again next week.

Participant

Only a few more days till the big event and the weather forecast is looking good for some late autumn Sichuan sunshine. Players start arriving from all over Southwest China tomorrow.

We are now pleased to announce the event will be covered by Sichuan TV 2 so come on down and find yourself with an audience of millions as you support your local teams.

Buses are filling up fast and will leave the Shamrock Bar at 12pm and 2pm.

Contact [email protected] for more information.

Participant

should be a good one! lets keep that cup in chengdu!

Participant

Bring it on!

Participant

Chengdu were victorious at both Football and Rugby!

Participant

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Keymaster

Chengdu were victorious at both Football and Rugby!

Congrats!

Participant

Firstly we would like to thank everyone that came down and contributed to what was a wonderful day for Expat sport in Chengdu.

Chengdu showed it can host events that previously were confined to the likes of Beijing and Shanghai.

Transport, TV coverage, food, bar, music, kids stuff, merchandising, advertising, dinners, awards ceremonies all combined into a wonderful day

That’s without even actually mentioning the  quality of sport on show which was remarkable considering the relatively small expat communities of Chengdu, Chongqing and Kunming.

If you would like to see the results and photos then please visit our facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/chengdufootball

One final thing is I hope that the Chengdu community can keep spreading the word about the various sporting organisations in Chengdu. Even if they are not your thing it is clear that they are a great way of allowing people new to the city to meet people and keep healthy. It is always great when people tell us that somebody had recommended us to them.

Football and rugby have always been big in China but seeing American Football, JiuJitsu, cycling, basketball and cricket all growing has been great as well. It’s been a big year for sport in Chengdu.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.