New to Chengdu, from Scotland

HomeForumsIn ChengduNew to Chengdu, from Scotland

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi there,

I am moving to Cheng Du in January to teach english as a foreign language and am looking to meet people on here (and eventually in Cheng Du) to make my time less daunting. I am from Aberdeen (UK) and have never been to China before so I’m really nervous and excited. I enjoy roller derby and saw on here there was a swing dance class which is right up my street!!

Just looking for any info about Cheng Du from other foreigners who live there. And any foreign language teachers too.

Thanks, you all seem helpful and friendly 😀

Participant

Hello

I’m from Aberdeen!  Glad we’re getting another North East Scotlander to add to the Chengdu contingent 🙂

It’s super easy to meet people here so definitely don’t worry about that – the expat community is pretty big and there are a few bars that we all flock to.  Feel free to send me a message on here and I can answer any questions you might have.  And swap Granite City stories of course, pretty much guaranteed to know people in common.

My number one tip would be to get a bike – best way to get around and there’s a really good cycling community here  so it’s a great way to meet some friendly faces!

Participant

Hi,

I honestly never expected to find someone else from Aberdeen but glad I won’t be that homesick now haha. I was thinking of getting a bike, I keep seeing ones made of bamboo which look amazing and the bars that are mentioned on here look good to, and cheaper than the ones here in Aberdeen. How long have you lived in China?

Participant

Yeh the bamboo bikes are great, they’re made by Natooke, if you give them a Google you’ll find their site. I’d highly recommend splashing out on one of their bikes,bamboo or otherwise,  best thing I’ve ever bought!

Ha yeh it’s a whole lot cheaper than Aberdeen out here, for beer and all the Sichuan food you can eat! There’s some really nice bars out here so plenty to choose from!

If you have Wechat (definitely get it before you come) feel free to add me and I can show you a couple of places when you get here. My ID is kirstenmunro. I’ve been here 8 months so far and love it so you’ll have a great time!

Participant

This group is pretty much only for moaning about how shit we are at football and rugby but feel free to join.

Participant

It’s great to know that if i’m feeling homesick I can talk to someone who knows what it’s like. I’m excited about the food since I love getting a carry out from my local Chinese although I know that it will be completely different!

I haven’t had a bike since I was a kid so it’ll be interesting to see if I can remember the ‘etiquette’.

How’s the weather in Cheng Du, I have googled it but it would be great to hear from someone who actually lives there.

Participant

Im Scottish (from Alloa, near Stirling).

It’s raining today. Winter is grim rather than cold, but because the houses are so badly made you’d be best to bring some warm clothes.

I certainly wouldnt get your hopes up about the food, its probably the most disgusting gruel you’ll ever have the misfortune to eat.

But you should be ok, plenty sugelan ren (Scots) knocking about.

Participant

Yeh, the weather might seem pretty similar to good old Scotland.  Although not as horrifically cold in the winter.  But come prepared to deal with the complete lack of central heating!

I would get your hopes up about the food, I think it’s great!  Admittedly it does have its digestive repercussions but I absolutely bloody love most of it.  And there’s plenty of decent Western places when you need a break from the oil and spice.

I wouldn’t worry about cycling etiquette – basically out here there is none.  You can cycle the wrong way, on the pavement, like a complete idiot and no one will say anything.  Just keep your wits about you, invest in a bell and you’ll be grand!

Participant

Hey,

Me and my best friend are from Aberdeen! Did not know anyone else from Aberdeen was here and nice to see more coming! Haven’t met anyone else from Scotland yet either!

My wechat is andiiecee would be good to chat with other Scots!

We have been here for 2 months now – I must warn you that Chinese food here is very very different to home chinese! I am craving a home chinese haha!! But I am enjoying the food more now and all the spices!

If you have any question feel free to drop me a message!

Participant

Looks like you haven’t left home after all, Milly!

Participant

I honestly thought Scots would be few and far between but it seems like we just get everywhere!! I have been looking at the food and it certainly looks delicious but i am preparing myself for some spicy dishes. Thanks for the heads up about the heating. I am always cold so I will investing in some long johns haha!!

I have recently got Wechat but can’t seem to add anyone… maybe it doesn’t like people who are not in the same area as me? My ID is emmyc13 if anyone wants to add me. It would be great to know some people before I arrive in January!

Participant

Chinese food in China, specially in Sichuan, is sooooo different from Chinese in the west. Nothing alike.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.