Searching for Sour Cream

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionSearching for Sour Cream

• This topic has 21 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Avatar photoles.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Please can someone tell me where I can get some sour cream?

Tried making fajitas without it and it just wasn’t the same!

I have tried Carrefour, Treat, and looked on Sabrina’s Country Store website but nowhere seems to sell it.

Your advice is much appreciated!

Keymaster

None at Sabrina’s? Strange, I thought I had bought it there before.

The only place I can think of that you haven’t checked would be Metro (the supermarket) in the West of Chengdu.

Participant

I don’t think this kind of thing will be easily found here in Chengdu, But if you really want it, I think the only place for you should be”www.taobao.com”, after all, it’s China, and maybe I can help you as a native chinese speaker, if you search “酸奶油” into the search bar on the website hereabove, I’m sure you can find quite a lot on it, but if you need any help in language, tell me, I will be at hand.

Participant

Do not buy sour cream on taobao. They do not have refrigerated e-bikes yet.

Participant

I’ve bought sour cream before – from Sabrinas.. I don’t think I’ve seen it anywhere else though. I made burritos last night actually 😀 wish I had sour cream on hand.

Oh, speaking of Burritos – don’t buy your burrito wraps at carrefour/auchan/etc, way too expensive for no quality differential over ones you can find in packs of 12 at QingShiQiao. Go to the fish market, 2nd floor, find a little stall with refrigeration – not sure how to describe the one I go to but it’s larger than the other ones and has a couple big/open freezers… Each pack of 12 is something like 15 yuan, and they are actually pretty good quality. The last pack I opened, every one of them separated easily without having to “peel” bits off as opposed to ones I pick up unrefrigerated from auchan/carrefour that end up sticking together in a mess.

Participant

Metro Supermarket defiantly has sour cream. I thought I’d bought it from Carrefour before, but last time I checked I couldn’t find it.

Quote:
    Do not buy sour cream on taobao. They do not have refrigerated e-bikes yet.

I’ve bought bacon off taobao many times from a good seller. He ships it in an insulated box with a frozen water bottle. It does the trick.

Participant
    Quote:
    I’ve bought bacon off taobao many times from a good seller.

Why? 1KG of pretty good bacon from qingshiqiao for 25rmb 😀

Hmm that sounds pretty deece. Is that a supermarket?

Participant
    Quote:
    1KG of pretty good bacon from qingshiqiao for 25rmb 😀

Wat?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Why? 1KG of pretty good bacon from qingshiqiao for 25rmb 😀

We are talking Hormel bacon delivered to your doorstep. At least that’s what I got when I’ve ordered bacon on Taobao.

Quote:
    Is that a supermarket?

It’s a food and produce market that has meats of all kinds. There’s a gigantic steak thread on the forum that was all about the Qingshi Qiao market.

Participant

25rmb bacon, not awesome smoked fat slices like I’d expect in Canada, but pretty good stuff for Chengdu quality 😀

IMG_0632.jpg

separately: photobucket’s new drag’n’drop from desktop to upload photos is awesome.

Metro has it but they are OFTEN sold out…

When they have it they charge about 18 kuai for 250 (or maybe 200) grams. They have it on one of the top shelfs in the cheese section, small red & white canister.

Auchan has Creme Fraiche (not sure about spelling)once in a while, prices are all over, from 30 to 50 kuai but they are also often sold out.

Daniel

Participant

I bought sour cream at the Tongzilin Carrefour about two weeks ago. I think it was in with/next to the cheese…

Participant

Thanks for all the tips the good news is I have just found it on Waifood website! A little overpriced at 45rmb for 2 small pots but as I live near Shipu the waifood delivery service is much more appealing than a trek to the Tongzillin carrefour! Its a good website for western products in general so if anyone hasn’t seen it before check it out – http://www.waifood.com they deliver for 5rmb

Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

I bought it from there once, but it tasted more like regular cream (very sweet!) than sour cream(?!) and came in an unmarked plastic container, so I’m guessing it was from a local dairy rather than an import. Give it a try though. The online shopping and home delivery part definitely makes grocery shopping easier.

By the way, I’m not sure if it says so on the English version of the Waifood website, but you can do a COD payment rather set up a paid account in advance.

Cheers.

Participant

fyi to all – sour cream can be easily made by just adding a tbspn of lemon or lime juice to a cup of heavy cream and letting stand about 10 minutes or so. i do it all the time and it tastes great.

Heavy cream can be found at any of the supermarkets – carrefour, ito, auchan. Ito actually sells it in little packs so no need to buy the large size.

Note that you can also mix heavy cream with milk to create “half and half” for your coffee…i really hope i don’t have to specify in what proportions to mix this. 🙂

Participant

@Les: What area/section do you find heavy cream? I’ve tried to find it in supermarkets here but always look for it in the form of a little milk carton type thing in refrigerated area and have *never* seen it.. little packs?

Participant

Rick, I have usually found this in the non-refrigerated section of the supermarket (for example in the carrefour on the east side i found in the “foreign foods section”) but have also found it in the refrigerated section at Ito (nearby the cheeses). Yes, you are correct in that it is usually sold in a large size that resembles any brand of milk (the rectangular carton).

The Nestle brand actually makes a mini-cartons (i called them packets – also rectangular-shaped like the regular milk carton but much smaller, almost to resemble those little cartons you just punch the straw through and drink). Note that Nestle packages this as “Whipping Cream” but it doesn’t matter as the fat content is identical to “heavy cream” (at least 36g fat). Look for the light blue package with bold blue on the face.

Participant

@les

Very helpful, thanks! I didn’t realize whipping cream was the same as heavy cream. I saw several sizes of whipping cream in the refrigerated section at Auchan yesterday, I’ll get some of that and sour-it-up. Much appreciated.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.