Seeking Physical Therapist

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionSeeking Physical Therapist

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Folks,

I’m about to have knee surgery, and I’d really like to find a physical therapist in Chengdu, ideally English speaking. Eternal thanks and gratitude in advance to anyone who can assist! Feel free to PM me

Participant

Seabass, I had an operation on my knee last March & although the operation was excellent, there was no physiotherapy afterwards & I’m having problems with my knee. If you do find someone to help you, I’d be very grateful if you let me know. Thanks & good luck!

Participant

Knee operations are not all the same.I’ve had 2 on the same knee.The 1st op was good for about 7 years. The 2nd is still ok after more than 10 years.I would regard that as successful.The doctors in both cases did not suggest physiotherapy.The only proviso was that I start walking immediately after the op.Needed to stay 1 night in the hospital on each occasion.

Would like to know how much the quote is for the op.

Best of luck.

Participant

@Iona – Sure thing

@Gavvie – it’s an ACL tear and I’ll need physio as confirmed by multiple doctors, appreciate it if we can leave it at that, feel free to send me a PM

@Chengdu Living forum – Help me out! (and Iona too)

Participant

Check out some youtube vids for self physio ther. The muscles around the region of the surg is indeed weak, so doing specific workouts for them is key… Balance ball will help. Just dont work on primary muscles and think its going to have same benifits, its not.

If there are any pools around, i can show you a few stuff that helps strengthen the knee area. Doing physio ther in a water setting gives less stress to your kness. I would do this once my knee starts to act up.

Are either of you members of a gym, or have access to one?

I’d say a balance (swiss) ball is useful, but only as a warm up with you sitting on it and rotating your hips with feet planted firmly on the floor, so the rotation pivots at the knee. ACL tears have to be rehabilitated with extreme caution early on, but I’ve seen guys come back from complete detachments to 100%. Some highly trained individuals will even claim they are stronger than before in recovery, so don’t be disheartened by an injury.

Jerry’s right about swimming, it’s near zero impact and lets you move through a wide range of motion at the knee. You can do simple things like squats, lunges, or any form of single leg balancing in shallow water. This would be a great way to kick start rehab.

Good Luck!

Participant

@Jerry – yep, found tons of online resources, but as Brendan said, need to be cautious, so I’d love to find a professional, especially as my insurance will cover it. If I really cant find someone, I may take you up on your offer post surgery

@Brendan – Cheers for the encouragement, I consider myself an active type (football, skiing, squash, trekking, biking), and am trying to stay positive so I can hopefully achieve full recovery. I don’t belong to a gym, but I could join…

Seabass I’ve sent you a PM.

Participant

Physio There is a new concept in China. I know someone who does this as profression in Chinatown NYC and she always gets asked ‘why is it needed for Chinese peoples.’ Regardless she makes tons of money because she is hitting the Chinese martket there. Health concepts are new hear and there will be market in the future.

Good luck with your recovery, hope you got a good brace. knee injury sux, let alone knee surgery..

Participant

@Iona – I did finally find a physical therapist in Chengdu. Her name is Emma Zhou and she received her MA from Hong Kong polytechnic univ.

I have already done 2 sessions with her and she seems capable, but since I’ve never had the need for physio before, I have nothing to compare her to.

Her office clinic is in Tongzilin, really close to Carrefour. Here are the contact details for Iona and anyone else in need:

Emma Zhou 周凤呜

65510607 18628087977

[email protected]

Blog.sina.com.cn/studio1012

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.