I Don't Understand Foreigners

HomeForumsIn ChengduI Don't Understand Foreigners

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

the average salary is now staring at 3,000 RMB, lol….

You’re not even close. The per capita GDP in China is 9,000 yuan per year (source). That’s $1,500 USD per year, which is about 750 yuan per month. You say the average is 3,000 rmb per month yet the facts clearly state this is not the case. Once again we are faced with the inevitable conclusion that you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Keep hating. The rest of us will be fine 🙂

Participant

And about teaching, since the GVMT don’t care about how much money or how much time the Chinese teachers are making, so what, just a collapse of education. So the family who got a better situation will pay more to get better education for there kids. It’s just what happening in here, government’s officers or celebrities are busy moving there ass or there family’s asses oversea, and rub as much they can from here. Can’t see any hope for further, cause it’s never about expats or local, it’s about where is the value of being a Chinese and keep living here. While most of people can’t find it anywhere. That’ why comes China Dream(get rich – no matter how, go immigration, haha).A hope give to people while everyone knows its bullshit.

Alexander,

not every chinese wants to move overseas, i went out and i didnt like it. all my chinese friends from college are moving back too. grass is always greener on the other side huh? its a”围城” people who are on the outside wants to get in, people who got in wants to get out.

Keymaster

Alexander, not every chinese wants to move overseas, i went out and i didnt like it. all my chinese friends from college are moving back too. grass is always greener on the other side huh? its a”围城” people who are on the outside wants to get in, people who got in wants to get out.

So we all agree then: China is a Colorful, Communist Paradise!

Participant

Lawrence Li wrote:
    Alexander, not every chinese wants to move overseas, i went out and i didnt like it. all my chinese friends from college are moving back too. grass is always greener on the other side huh? its a”??” people who are on the outside wants to get in, people who got in wants to get out.

So we all agree then: China is a Colorful, Communist Paradise!

so what if its communist….

im not gonna say its a paradise, but its definitely not as bad as the u.s media portrays.

Participant

Don’t care about these anymore, I just never think its never communism, or capitalism. Problems are everywhere, stop caring you will feel more easy. Can’t change other, change your thought. It’s a FREE country(though we all know it’s not), the people you hate can do what they want, but  in china when you see a traffic police stopped a laowai or dinner waiter show attitude to them? It’s not their  problem, problem is from ourself.

Calm down man, I thought you’v been stay in the states for a long time, should be really chill about these.

Participant

Don’t care about these anymore, I just never think its never communism, or capitalism. Problems are everywhere, stop caring you will feel more easy. Can’t change other, change your thought. It’s a FREE country(though we all know it’s not), the people you hate can do what they want, but in china when you see a traffic police stopped a laowai or dinner waiter show attitude to them? It’s not their problem, problem is from ourself.

Calm down man, I thought you’v been stay in the states for a long time, should be really chill about these.

im glad theres at least somebody care to listen to what i have to say…

when i was in the states, i do things the way americans do it.

i would really appreciate next time a foreign looking man sits near me, and i dont hear about how hes so mad with the bus boy becuz he didnt say hi to him…. hey, at least we say foreigners, not aliens….

Participant

how hes so mad with the bus boy becuz he didnt say hi to him

I just wonder who does this!!! Mad about the bus boy don’t say HI?  This is getting more ridiculous. You see this happen here? haha

But anyway, he can just be mad as he want, you don’t need to hear what he said. Then nothing will bother you.

Participant

Lawrence Li wrote:
    how hes so mad with the bus boy becuz he didnt say hi to him

I just wonder who does this!!! Mad about the bus boy don’t say HI? This is getting more ridiculous. You see this happen here? haha

But anyway, he can just be mad as he want, you don’t need to hear what he said. Then nothing will bother you.

for realz…

dont even get me started lol…. and people complaining how the cars have the right of ways not the pedestrians … i mean plz… if the drivers have to wait for peds… then its not going to be pretty…..

Participant

My dear lost soul..stop trying to understand ‘foreigners’, such a huge, unrewarding goal. Just try to understand yourself. Got to feel sorry for these types. It is a big world my friend and maybe china nor the US is for you. Keep searching….and don’t use the Internet for such answers. Read, travel…

Participant

Can’t finish reading this.

Everybody please calm down.

Everywhere have good people and bad people. China  have some good people also have some bad funny guys, western country is same, i have meet some very good guys, someone i don’t like it.

But if you feel get hurt please don’t take it seriously, let it go….

Otherwise you will really hurt  yourself.

Don’t expect people are all good, don’t expect 24 hours are all daytime . half  is daytime half  is nighttime, that’s how this world working, face it and taking it .

Is this is a beautiful world? or are we all brother or sister?

I don’t think so!

Participant

Why everybody have to be good? Why everybody have to be good to others?  We just want that day coming, but believe me that dasys never coming, people think they are right? saying things they think they are right, but finally you will find out all is joke, more like a joke than fact.

Participant

The way I see things, things are never black or white.

I invite you to my home, I expect you to respect the way I live in it, take off your shoes, don’t wreck the place, don’t plunder my fridge, etc. On the other hand, it’s not because you come into my house that I can ask you to hand me over your wallet, make fun of your middle name and ID card photo and ask you to leave because your hair color doesn’t match my interior design. You get my picture, right?

People coming into this country have their own backgrounds and history. It’s not by pointing out our differences but looking for our similarities that we will take a step forward.

Participant

“i hate it when an out-lander trash comes here and they act like they are the queen B and they dont give two shit about other peoples feeling.”

Someone didn’t get a reach-around… poor lil’ guy 🙁

Participant

Lawrence perhaps your experiences in the US can be likened to those of Machete as depicted in the film “Machete Kills”. Let me explain. Our protagonist and titular hero is of Mexican origin. He ventures to the US. He meets some bad people who call him “Taco”. This makes Machete sad, so he kills them. Machete also meets some fine, outstanding individuals who are sympathetic to his plight. These people, Machete doesn’t kill.

1: good and bad people everywhere.
    2. not a good idea to call badass Mexicans with big knives “Taco”.

Keymaster

Lawrence perhaps your experiences in the US can be likened to those of Machete as depicted in the film “Machete Kills”. Let me explain.

I like your style, Ray.

Hopefully this is the first of many philosophical thoughts stemming from this cinematic masterpiece.

Participant

This made for fairly entertaining, and at times frustrating, reading.

I think the last few points i.e. good and bad people everywhere hold true. But also I feel that as members of the community we should be entitled to be sensitively critical of things that are frustrating. Moaning or venting is important to do at times (but not excessively – I agree if you don’t like it – the world is a big place), and often leads to a helpful response/explanation from a Chinese individual about the cultural difference.

It is interesting you chose to point at US media when I would argue that Chinese media is far more critical of the West – but this will always occur as really the media is the extended arm of the government.

Finally, to poke fun at English teachers is just immature and insulting, I started life in China as a teacher and feel I contributed more to a rural area of Yunnan than perhaps anywhere else in my life. Foreign teachers offer a bridge to other cultures and hopefully lead to less confusion than you seemed to show in this thread.

I believe you probably were angry with a foreigner in making this thread but please remember there is no “foreigner” race in Chengdu we are a mix of nationalities, cultures, religions with diverging interests, differing amounts of experience in China and with different norms and values.

I hope you can appreciate and not hate Laurence as 99.9% of those in China only want a better life and to contribute to a culture which is at times very confusing and difficult to understand.

Participant

I saw this post yesterday before anyone had replied. I contemplated posting, but decided to continue on with my evening instead of taking the bait. I like so many others on this forum have been in China a long time and have come across a few “locals” who have gone to the U.S. or Canada for a few years and then returned to China feeling superior to most Chinese and victimized by most foreigners. We all know why these people feel superior, because they are one of the lucky few who got out and had a chance to experience the world beyond the Middle Kingdom. The unanswered question is where does this victim mentality come from. My first guest would be that they had always been treated like little kings and queens based on the hard-work of their parents before they left China and went to America where they were forced to be judged based on their own character.

Lawrence, you have already proven with your initial post that you are confrontational at best and my guess is that you were probably treated with the contempt that you apparently deserve. As far as your comment that Gweilos can leave China if they don’t like it, I think that’s a cop-out. It’s pretty passive-aggressive to come on a forum that is mostly for foreigners living in or moving to Chengdu and complain about a problem that you have personally observed, supposedly, many times yet none of us have been party to. If you have such a firm understanding of American culture then you should know that unlike here in China it is completely acceptable in the U.S. to call someone out for their inappropriate behavior. In fact, the only way problems and misunderstandings are solved is by confronting them. Unfortunately, it seems that you are a coward and aren’t really concerned with confronting those who have wronged you or your comrades and finding a remedy for the problem. Apparently, you would rather criticize an entire community of expats, which you have previously reached out to for friendship and received numerous replies, for racism although you can’t point to a single person on the forum who has perpetrated any of the supposed racist acts that you have observed.

Your hypocrisy is only strengthened by the fact that you used a racial slur and complained about cultural insensitivity at the same time. While it is true that there are some foreign douche-bags in Chengdu that I would be embarrassed to associate with, the truth is that most of them don’t frequent ChengduLiving. The people on this site are warm-hearted individuals who more concerned with helping foster a sense of community and understanding than tearing people down and labeling them as this-or-that.

I hope you get the help you need Lawrence. There are a lot of great people who use ChengduLiving and a lot of great friendships to be had, but you’re going about it in the wrong way. While Charlie took the high-road and changed the title of your post, unfortunately you would never admit that you don’t understand foreigners even though it evident that you don’t. I have lived in China for longer than you lived in the U.S. My Chinese isn’t that great, but I have a Chinese wife, a Chinese family, and many Chinese friends. I would never assert that I understand Chinese people, just like I wouldn’t be foolish enough to judge all Chinese people as rude racists even though I encounter them from time-to-time. My suggestion is that you take some time to analyze yourself. Anger doesn’t come from our surroundings it comes from within. If you have a problem or feel angry about something face it head on and find a remedy. Real men don’t run and yell fire from the shadows, they grab a bucket of water and douse the flames.

If you’re serious about finding a training partner you can send me a PM, but you should know two things. First, I’m expensive (I know you can afford it). Second, I don’t train cowards. If you want to train with me you’re going to need to man up and confront your anger. Mind, body, and spirit are intertwined. You can’t strengthen one without strengthening the others. Best of luck.

Participant

If you’re serious about finding a training partner you can send me a PM, but you should know two things. First, I’m expensive (I know you can afford it). Second, I don’t train cowards.

oh im so desperate to find a PT… no thanks, i have one already…and what gives u to say that you are expensive??? LOL

if you know how to read properly, you’ll see that i emphasized on “some” im not criticizing the whole community. i dont need to reply each post…cuz i got better things to do in life……

ive never said i feel superior to other chinese, hell i havent even told anyone ive been to america unless they are my close friend… thats my privacy, no need to let everybody know. you are saying that i judge people without getting to know them… im not judging anyone on this forum..

i just pointed out there are some asshole foreigners in Chengdu, why are everyone so sensitive and think im calling names here… lol

btw, thank you for being all up on my grill…

Participant

and Ray… enough with mexican jokes… its not that funny….

Participant

Collin,

of course i was judged by my own character, and it turned out that people actually liked me… lol

i have tons of friends in america and we still keep in touch…

maybe you should judge people after knowing their real characteristics next time?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.