Skateboarding in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionSkateboarding in Chengdu

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys,

Google has come up with nothing. I’m looking for somewhere to buy a skateboard in Chengdu. Preferably not a cheapo board, something decent. I read something vague about Fly Streetwear Shop or something along those lines.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Participant

Champagne Plaza (红星路东大街香槟广场) near Chunxi Lu is your best bet. On weekends and evenings there are usually people hanging out or skating outside. There are several skate shops on the 1st floor with recognizable brand names. You can pick up complete boards, decks, wheels, fly gear or anything else you’d need.

Participant

Champagne Plaza (红星路东大街香槟广场) near Chunxi Lu is your best bet. On weekends and evenings there are usually people hanging out or skating outside. There are several skate shops on the 1st floor with recognizable brand names. You can pick up complete boards, decks, wheels, fly gear or anything else you’d need.

Keymaster

If Champagne Plaza doesn’t have what you need or prices aren’t agreeable, check Taobao. I got a Golden Coast longboard on there a few months ago (imported) for 600rmp even including pre-assembly.

Keymaster

If Champagne Plaza doesn’t have what you need or prices aren’t agreeable, check Taobao. I got a Golden Coast longboard on there a few months ago (imported) for 600rmp even including pre-assembly.

Participant

that’s not too many rmp’s for a nice longboard.

Participant

Keymaster
    Quote:

Every rmp counts

Quote:
    Champagne Plaza (红星路东大街香槟广场) near Chunxi Lu is your best bet.

Definitely check this place out, and talk to the guys who own the skate store at the bottom of the circular steps toward the basement level. They seem to have some connects going on, and Vans recently held an exhibition with some name skaters within the Plaza itself.

I’m here visiting family in Chengdu. Meanwhile, I’m on the hunt for a skateboard. So this forum topic is very helpful! Thanks for the info guys. I’m going to try and find this Champagne plaza tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I’m here visiting family in Chengdu. Meanwhile, I’m on the hunt for a skateboard. So this forum topic is very helpful! Thanks for the info guys. I’m going to try and find this Champagne plaza tomorrow.

You should have no problem finding it, it’s directly next to Chunxi Lu. In Chinese the name is 香槟广场

Thanks so much Charlie. As soon as the niners game is over I’m on the way.

Participant

Any luck picking up a board? What’d it cost roughly and how’s the quality?

I was riding around just the other day and discovered this sweet little skate spot under the 成乐高速公路 and 二环南路三段 flyover. Or I’m pretty sure it’s in that neighborhood.

The whole thing is covered and has a street course and a mini ramp as well. Been a while since I’ve skated a mini but it got me all itchy to get back on the wheelyboard.

Participant

Yeah, picked up a board for about 450 yuan. It seems pretty good quality, definitely good enough for the 5 months I’ll be here.

You fellas know the rules about where you can ride? If I’m just commuting should I be on the footpath or bike lane? Or does it not matter? I don’t speak much Mandarin so I wouldn’t know if they told me!

Cheers about the skate spot. It’s been ages since I rode a course actually!

Participant

The law’s quite specific.

All curbs must be kickflipped onto and heelflipped off of. Any medians at crosswalks must be nose-manual’d. If you ride opposing traffic it must be done so switch. All stair sets greater than 2 must be 360 flipped.

Honestly, just ride where it’s most convenient. I’d avoid sidewalks as usually they’re tiled and littered with death cracks. People won’t mind so much if you’re in the bike lane or in the street for that matter. I’ve seen way lamer things happening in either place than a foreigner cruising around on a wheel-laden board.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    You fellas know the rules about where you can ride? If I’m just commuting should I be on the footpath or bike lane? Or does it not matter? I don’t speak much Mandarin so I wouldn’t know if they told me!

As Jacob said you’ll probably want to stay off the sidewalk. Bike lanes work, although smaller streets in neighborhoods are the best. Some roads have small divets which cause vibration so you’ll want to avoid those. If you routinely skate along the same path you’ll figure out the best route. That’s what I’ve done, at least. A friend recently came to Chengdu with his Loaded longboard with 70mm wheels and it is considerably smoother than my longboard. Large wheels help when you’re not on a course or in front of Champagne Plaza.

Participant

There is a lot of places to skate but thats mostly in the city areas. If you’re talking about rural areas there are little chances that smooth, curb, ramp-like areas that are really good to skate in. By the way everyone if you haven’t skated here (if you have we can meet up) <span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;”>zizhu square(紫竹广场)it’s near Carefour in Tongzillin. There are ledges and stairs some skaters (Local Chinese some speak English (Not that much)). Mostly people hangout and skate at Sunday afternoon. Although you can still skate I’m just 13 and I explored around Tongzillin where to skate. </span>

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.