Slow and Unreliable Internet

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionSlow and Unreliable Internet

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Since yesterday afternoon my internet connection to sites outside china has become so slow and unreliable that I can’t do any work. Are there any people who rely on internet access for work that have any advice on how to solve this?

Quote:
    Are there any people who rely on internet access for work that have any advice on how to solve this?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Chinese internets!!

Where is your connection? Home? Office? Shared? Bandwidth?

My office has the genius idea of running 10 computers on a 1Mbit connection, which translates into connectivity less conductive than an old dried out turd with electrical wires jabbed in each end if some smart arse decides to watch a basketball game or some screechy bitch whaling on a talent (oxymoron) show.

Enjoy.

Participant

Home, supposedly an 8 meg line, with China telecom. I’ve no problem viewing chinese sites, and before yesterday i was streaming youtube vids no problem. I’m working as a web developer on a foreign site so I’m hurtin’ right now. Have you noticed any recent slowness yourself? At home that is. I’m guessing the internet’s not considered essential where you work.

Participant

No problems here for me Andrew, on CT 20mbit fiber connection. It isn’t as fast as I’ve had it in the past, but definitely not so slow it hampers normal function – can still stream HD youtube via VPN and download torrents (altho only getting a few hundred kb/s instead of 1.xmeg/s on avg).

Haha! I personally consider it essential for my sanity, otherwise all logic is defied.

Perhaps your wires have been swapped out. Perhaps a ‘technician’ accidentally… And on and on. Your guess is as good as mine I’m afraid. 8 Mbit line should theoretically be blazing fast, but you’re in China. Sarcasm and cynicism aside I’d give China Telecom a call. Just be sure to put your dancing shoes on first.

Participant

No problems at my end. Try connecting without a VPN and/or without a firewall and/or cabling to the internet rather than via a wireless router see if there is a difference.

If it’s your VPN then it is not unusual for them to throttle back on connections especially now you have publically anounced which service you are using. LOL

Participant

Its up and down for me. I can’t connect to my vpn at all. I try load ted.com for example, 3 mins later still no luck. Again, all Chinese sites loading fine. If I call CT they’ll ask me to run their speed test which is gonna be fine cause its a Chinese server. I’ll say its foreign websites, they’ll say that’s not their problem. That’s if I can actually communicate all this to them. I’m gonna go out and find some wifi, and call them in the morn if its still not working.

Quote:
    No problems here for me Andrew, on CT 20mbit fiber connection

That wasn’t on the menu for me, is that cause of your location?

Participant

I’m in Jinjiang with China Tietong 4Mb line and sometimes is slowly too… I think is a problem if “connection balancing” between customer…

Rik, I hate you with a 20Mb connection 😉

Brendan, I think about your office… I think…. BUT HOW YOU CAN WORK WITH 1MB SHARED WITH 10PC!!!

Participant

I’m also suffering slow internet in Jinjiang! But I suspect that is more to do with the peculiar set up in the router set-up of the family I’m staying with…

Participant

I have a little guesthouse in JinJiang and sometimes customers ask to me why internet is so slowly… believe me Alison, don’t depend only from configuration of router but quality and speed of line…

Participant

My neighbors have asked me if i can kindly run my wi-fi without password protection again. They miss the days (almost a year in fact) of free wi-fi…

Quote:
    My neighbors have asked me if i can kindly run my wi-fi without password protection again. They miss the days (almost a year in fact) of free wi-fi…

They want to keep tabs on you so they can break in again.

😀

Quote:
    supposedly an 8 meg line,

China Telecom will sometimes advertise their TV and internet package as 8M, when actually it’s just 4M which is the standard for most older buildings.

Their logic is 4M for internet, 4M for TV = 8M!

Participant

Woke up this morning and a genius idea popped into my head. I restarted my router. Problem solved. Nobody in the history of the internet has thought of that.

Quote:
    Woke up this morning and a genius idea popped into my head. I restarted my router.

That’s something I’ve found myself doing more than ever since arriving in China. Internet paired Satellite TV is hours of fun for anyone unfortunate enough to saddle themselves with it.

Participant

Ahahahahah, how many problems we can resolve, restarting somenthing… I must try with my brain…

Participant
    Quote:
    I have a little guesthouse in JinJiang and sometimes customers ask to me why internet is so slowly… believe me Alison, don’t depend only from configuration of router but quality and speed of line…

Don’t worry Federico, I believe you! It’s one of my least favourite things about China. Every time I come back I hope that the massive annual increase in netizens will be reflected in a massive increase in related internet capacity and infrastructure but…

… well, a girl can dream, right?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.