Staining a Table: Help

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionStaining a Table: Help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Got a plain-ass table that I’m looking to make a little more classy. I figure a regular hardware store might have what I need, but I don’t eve know how to begin to describe what “stain” and “finish” are. Thanks 😉

Participant

I’d head for B&Q which my wife pronounces B and G. Last I heard they were a British company and there is a good chance of them stocking an international brand bearing a label in English.

Yeah!  I rode past B&Q on my bike and thought to myself that’s probably the best place to do it. Thanks for reminding me, I’ll update later on.

Participant

Dan, I think B&Q may disappoint you. I’ve been there every month or so for the past year and often have looked for stain/quality lacquer and polyurethane finishes…stains you may come up empty. You need a quality topcoat on top of any stain you use, anyway.

I ended up buying a German-branded water-based poly but it’s expensive and need to brush or roll on 4-5 coats (but no scuff sanding is needed) to get good coverage and protection. So if you see a brand that has only German and Chinese, that’s it. I honestly think you’d be better off Taobao’ing some stain as I haven’t seen anything of name-brand/English label. They no doubt have stain available somewhere in Chengdu as installers/remodelers use it here, but I’m not sure where! Most people spray on finishes and even stain, but I haven’t yet invested in a compressor to do so. Wish I could help you out more!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.