Strange Pollution Figures Recently

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionStrange Pollution Figures Recently

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Does anyone know what’s happening yesterday and today with the pollution figures in Chengdu? US consulate reports high figures in the 300’s but the Chengdu government readings are sky high. Ordinarily, the US figures are always higher.

I’ve heard speculation that a construction site could be responsible for the very high PM10 rating, but that explanation doesn’t make sense to me since I’m sure that Chengdu collects pollution values from dozens of locations around the city.

Anyone know what’s going on?

Here’s an image from yesterday which describes what I’m talking about:

readings.jpg

Participant

If the figures are jumping all over the place like they seem to have been, that doesn’t sound like an average from multiple sources. Could be that one of the nodes is corrupted and giving really high numbers and they just haven’t fixed it yet.

Participant

I’ve heard speculation that its because the farmers in Sichuan are burning their fields.

Participant

I noticed the same. I had a reading of over 600 for a while but after refreshing a few times the reading for the same time changed to 800+. I’d say something wrong with the reading.

Participant

Yeah, at the 21st floor level we get the smell and well as the particles, and it smells like burning up here. We had a lot of this in the fall, someone told us that farmers were burning their fields. It makes more sense than any construction related pollution, because Mianyang and Deyang had super high PM10 over the weekend too.

Participant

if the farmers are burning in the fields, the air would look brown like we’re in the middle of a habboo

Participant
    Quote:
    if the farmers are burning in the fields, the air would look brown like we’re in the middle of a habboo

*Looks outside* Check.

Participant

Which side of the city are you on? I’m in the city center and it’s “clear” for chengdu standards.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I’ve heard speculation that its because the farmers in Sichuan are burning their fields.

Any idea why they would be doing that now in larger than normal amounts?

Quote:
    Which side of the city are you on? I’m in the city center and it’s “clear” for chengdu standards.

Despite the really high pollution yesterday, it looked relatively clear. What I’ve noticed from photographing the sky and keeping track of pollution figures on a daily basis is that there isn’t necessarily any relationship between the appearance of the sky and the actual pollution levels.

My guess is that it’s been sunny all weekend. Less cloud cover gives the illusion that air is cleaner.

Anyways, my roommates reported a strange burning smell last night from our 9th floor apt. We closed the windows after that.

Participant
    Quote:
    Any idea why they would be doing that now in larger than normal amounts?

We don’t have pollution stats from last year to compare, but since farming is seasonal and ash can provide useful by-products for crops I guess it makes sense…

Participant

I’m on the east/southeast near the first ring road and can look east and south from my place, looks like around 250. Visually it has been a lot worse before.

Participant

I usually look at the page with multiple readings, but they seem not to have been updated today. Yesterday was bad; I don’t usually get affected, but I had a headache last night after being outside unprotected all day.

Link here.

Participant

actually, it started smelling horrible during the evening last night now that i think about it. i don’t know about it smelling like ash, but it smells more like cigarettes and garbage. I assumed I just had a disgusting neighbor.

Participant
    Quote:
    Link here.

Wow. Are those numbers the same scale that the US consulate uses?

@iameric: It looked pretty nice here yesterday as well, despite the pollution levels. I’m in the Southwest.

Quote:
    since farming is seasonal and ash can provide useful by-products for crops I guess it makes sense…

It’s also the start of planting season so this does make sense.

I haven’t noticed the burning smell yet, and I have done for the previous two years, even when I was up on the 35th floor!

My theory is that with the ludicrous push to finish up the viaduct and associated construction, there’s going to be hot spots across the city that essentially encircle us. Some of those locations will be in close proximity to some of the testing ‘stations’, hence the abnormal counts.

My guess is we can expect to see this continue right into June ahead of the Forum. It will be an impressive feat if the city pulls it off, but I’m starting to wonder just how many corners are being cut in order to complete. The roads adjacent to this thing are already cut to pieces, and if I ride over another road cut that dings my back wheel I’m going to want to kill someone!!

Participant

a joke, from my friend close to the city government:

the chengdunese, suffering from roadwork traffic jams and detours and air pollutions, have fiercely cursed the current CD party boss Huang Xinchu, who commissioned all these roadworks since his appointmnet, on the internet. He was given a nickname “黃挖挖” Huang WaWa, or Huang Dig Dig. It becomes a topic tag on weibo, (china microblog)

Huang was angry, and requested Sina to filter out this derogative nickname and all other negative posts about him.

Sina replied him, “Service only available to central government state leaders”

Participant

weibo.jpg

Participant

The difference in the two readings is because US consulate does not take PM10 into account but only PM2.5, while the PM10 was ridiculously high the past two days. Normally, PM2.5 is more of a problem in CD which is why the consulate readings are normally higher. It was very clear that this was not a wrong reading: while the ‘normal’ pollution, even when it reached the 400s in January, never smelled, yesterday and today there was a very distinct and dusty stink in the air. Whoever was burning something or dusting cement somewhere has stopped doing it, apparently, since readings are now back to ‘normal’, as far as normal goes…

Participant

You can see how PM10 and PM2.5 contribute to the readings very nicely on this site, http://www.aqicn.info/?city=chengdu (the readings are blank today because the thing got stuck yesterday evening at 1008 AQI….)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.