Strawberry Festival 5/31- 6/1

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionStrawberry Festival 5/31- 6/1

• This topic has 19 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoIan.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The festival is scheduled to run for two days during the Dragon Boat Festival holiday (May 31st to June 1st) and boasts three separate live music and electronic stages; The Strawberry Stage, The Love Stage and the Electronic Music Stage.

Full info including tickets and line up

Keymaster

Fingers crossed, hoping this is a good one. Here’s the lineup and set time from Weibo:

Strawberry Music Festival Chengdu

Anyone know if there will be a camping area at Strawberry like there was at Zebra?

Participant

No camping + a ridiculously early finish = lots of after-parties

Participant

No camping sucks.

Keymaster

No camping + a ridiculously early finish = lots of after-parties

Seriously, 9pm finish? I figured it would go until midnight like Zebra always did in the past.

Participant

Those expensive houses are now all occupied. That and the pandas need their sleep. I don’t know why they used that location.

Participant

Misleading title. I thought it was literally a festival for strawberries, which I most definitely would go to!

Participant

Maybe fanmate would of been a better venue

Participant

There are 2 good reasons not to use fanmate. It’s about to be demolished. It holds less than 1/10th of the people strawberry hopes to attract.

Participant

Maybe we could rent a field nearby and set up a camping area

Keymaster

Those expensive houses are now all occupied. That and the pandas need their sleep. I don’t know why they used that location.

This makes a lot of sense, I remember a few years ago at Zebra it looked like construction was just about finishing up there. Those houses looked really close.

I thought it was literally a festival for strawberries, which I most definitely would go to!

I’ve pretty much always had a good time at Poly 198 for Zebra. Most of the musical acts are like something you’d hear on Chinese radio, but the atmosphere was fun and it’s a good space to throw a frisbee, drink cheap beer, and listen to local DJs on a sunny day. I look forward to Strawberry.

Participant

Epic day yesterday. I spent 90% of the time at the EDM stage, the DJ was definitely melting people’s faces off. Took an hour and a half to get back to downtown Chengdu afterwards, 40rmb per person in an unmarked rapist van.

Keymaster

Epic day yesterday. I spent 90% of the time at the EDM stage, the DJ was definitely melting people’s faces off. Took an hour and a half to get back to downtown Chengdu afterwards, 40rmb per person in an unmarked rapist van.

Yeah, yesterday was good. Much better than the first day!

I got some photos:

Strawberry Music Festival

These are all actually high-res photos. If you copy the image URL to a new browser you can see them in full size.

I went both days and was very impressed with the quality of this event, especially compared to Zebra 2 years ago. Tons of people and saw some pretty cool Chinese acts like:

二手玫瑰 – kind of Modest Mouse/Franz Ferdinand post-punk rock with a traditional Chinese instrument kind of like an oboe.
    张蔷 and the 新裤子 – Chinese electro pop
    肆伍 – a slipknot-like metal band. People were going nuts over here with a flare bonfire, flags, and moshing.

Now I wish I was there to see all of the acts because I actually like a lot of this music.

We got lucky with rides. 100rmb in a crazy taxi on day one for 4 people. Sped back into the city in 40 minutes. 150rmb on day 2 for 5 people in a van that knew all the backroads around traffic.

Great festival!

Participant

Second day was great from what I can remember… Spent most of the day at the Chengdu Music stage, because it was in the shade…. Sunburnt and hungover.

Participant

Was in Chengdu briefly for past weekend but was lucky to catch Strawberry Music Festival, Charlie you were awesome! (sorry my phone sucks at pics..). And also thanks for the other recommendations on Chengdu places, we went to both Little Bar and the New one, wanted to go to Here We go but it was closed on Sun…definitely want to visit Chengdu again!

Keymaster

二手玫瑰 – kind of Modest Mouse/Franz Ferdinand post-punk rock with a traditional Chinese instrument kind of like an oboe.

They were a great first act to walk into the festival to. Good music, stage presence, and cool costumes.

Second day was great from what I can remember… Spent most of the day at the Chengdu Music stage, because it was in the shade…. Sunburnt and hungover.

That was me on the first day.. too much beer and sun. By 10am I was done.

Was in Chengdu briefly for past weekend but was lucky to catch Strawberry Music Festival, Charlie you were awesome! (sorry my phone sucks at pics..). And also thanks for the other recommendations on Chengdu places, we went to both Little Bar and the New one, wanted to go to Here We go but it was closed on Sun…definitely want to visit Chengdu again!

Thank you, and glad you had fun in Chengdu! Like Chris already said, Strawberry went really well. We’ve had some music festival disasters in Chengdu in the past but fortunately this one turned out to be great.

Participant

@Melody

Here We Go had a rooftop party this weekend for Sat and Sun on the roof of Wangfujing, thats why their bar was closed. The party was dope, lots of alcohol, no entry fee (if you’re slick), and lots of drunk shenanigans.

Participant

Oh too bad we missed the  party! but also had a very early flight on Mon morning back to HK : ( Hope to visit again sometime soon

Participant

Whilst singing at the Chengdu Music stage

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.