Suggestions for consumables to bring from US

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionSuggestions for consumables to bring from US

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

When I come in a few months I’m allowed a shipment of consumable items. Consumables being things that are used up or consumed such as food, toiletries, or sundries. So, what things would you suggest? What things are either unavailable or prohibitively expensive there that I should think of bringing with me from the US.

Keymaster

Here’s what I would bring:

– Bic lighters

– Supplements (multi-vitamin at least)

– Ibuprofin

– Condoms

– Deodorant

There must be more but that’s off the top of my head..

Participant

all of the above and/or

– pepto-bismol

– taco mix (or your preferred mix)

– steak sauce

yeah i cant think of anything else, but i always miss good bread.

Participant

Thanks guys. My wife might get pissed at me for bringing condoms. LOL

Never thought of pepto as I never use it here, but I guess it’s a good idea since my diet will likely be changing quite a bit.

Participant

what’s the difference between american condoms and chinese condoms?

Keymaster

Chinese condoms are terrible quality and very small. A Google search for Chinese condoms will yield hundreds of accounts of bad/broken Chinese condoms.

Participant

Should i bring an air purifier? I hate breathing bad air while sleeping.

Participant

air purifier would be awesome. make sure it is a long-living one.

LOL at the small condoms, those things are killer.

Air purifiers… Are we talking ionisers? Those things are not good for you, in fact quite the opposite.

Now an air purifier that could reduce the insane level of dust (and no doubt, allergens!) accumulating in my apartment would be awesome. I’m on the 35th floor, and still I’m being out dusted by the hazardous Chengdu atmosphere!

Participant

It was recommended to me to have an air purifier for each room (possibly multiple for large rooms.) I don’t think they are ionizers, just HEPA filters to get the dust you mentioned.

Keymaster

Anyone have an air purifier that works well for them? I don’t really know what brands or features are trustworthy or important to look for.

Participant
    Participant

Isn’t American condom suppose to be “made in china”? And I also wondering how many condoms you guys will bring to china, lol

Keymaster

Tons of stuff in the US is made in China, but most of it is made exclusively for export. Totally different than products made for the domestic market.

Participant

I’m not a big drinker, but what about alcohol? When I asked one of my co-workers who is already there her first (and very emphatic) answer was wine.

I don’t drink beer at all. Rarely drink wine as I only like very sweet ones. On the rare occasions that I do drink I tend to go with Grey Goose vodka.

What sort of stuff is available there and how do the prices compare to the US?

Participant

If you’re into camping, def bring your own tent, sleeping bag, down jacket etc. Much of the camping gear here is of dubious quality, or is just an outright fake. It’s when you’re freezing your nuts off in a leaky tent that you realize this. Now, finding a camping ground in china…that’s a whole new problem…

Participant

As for alcohol, good beer and wine are both available. If u are not a big drinker, then i would not worry about it really. Good wine hereismore plentiful than it usedto be, but it gets a fat tax onit. You mightjust wanna bring a nice bottle for your coworker, but other than that dont worry. W will get a liquor resource up here soon.

Keymaster

Tons of wine is available here, there are specialty wine shops in addition to a large selection at places like Carrefour. In places like that prices generally range from 80 yuan to thousands. Most Chinese wine is sweet, also.

Participant

Interesting. If I go abroad, I will bring traditional chinese medicine and bamboo chopsticks.

I too agree on the condoms. Especially if you have latex allergies. Lifestyles and Trojan makes a great Polyisoprene condom that is good quality. Depending on the kind of wine you like, California wine is great wine. Supplements you may want to grab too would be multivitamins and protein supplements. I would also pick up a fragrance if you are into smelling good.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.