Tattoos in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionTattoos in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Participant

are you going to prison break?

Participant

Thanks guys!! Appreciate it

12234289.jpg

Participant

hahahah gold

Participant

Glad your experience with Fishbone is going well. Like I said, they take forever but once its gets going they do an awesome job. Jiang Xia (the guy) also has pretty good taste in music.

Participant

🙂

sleeve2.jpg

Participant

One year has passed since the last reply.

Are there any new spots for the tattoo?

Today I have heard about Ting Gui spot. Feedbacks are nice, though prices are quite high: starting from 800RMB/hour.

Looking forward to hear any other suggestions.

Regards

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Today I have heard about Ting Gui spot. Feedbacks are nice, though prices are quite high: starting from 800RMB/hour.

Are you sure it’s not called Qing Gui? Someone was telling me about that place last night. The artist there, a girl (can’t remember her name) is widely said to be the most skilled tattoo artist in Chengdu.

Participant

My biggest concern with getting one here is not hygiene (i think most of the reputable guys are solid there) or skill (i go for basic tribal/minimalist which is very simple) but the ink used. Recently read an IAMA on reddit with a tattooist from the states. Someone asked her why their tattoo had faded so fast. Her response: “they probably used inferior Chinese ink”. I guess if you get one here you can ask to examine the ink used, or even buy the good stuff online. Understandably, some artists may refuse to use your own ink. if so, find another artist….

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Recently read an IAMA on reddit with a tattooist from the states. Someone asked her why their tattoo had faded so fast. Her response: “they probably used inferior Chinese ink”.

Never heard that, but that is really interesting. Do you have a link to the AMA?

Participant

All my links are in my photographic memory. ha! ha!. Man, do they have IAMA archives? Should be there. Was a cool one…BTW: heard that some tattoo rates here have officially gone from “crazy” to “WTF”. Good luck to the artists. Inflation’s a bitch…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    BTW: heard that some tattoo rates here have officially gone from “crazy” to “WTF”. Good luck to the artists. Inflation’s a bitch…

I know some tattoo artists in Chengdu who are making more money now than they’ve ever seen in their lives. Good time to be a tattoo artist.

I will look for that AMA.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I will look for that AMA.

Can’t find it, but I did find this: Contaminated China Tattoo Ink

And this Youtube clip on Chinese tattoo ink:

800 RMB an hour is bottom end price in Chengdu, unless you fancy trying your luck at North Railway Station curb side!! Wonky butterflies regularly go for 200 RMB!

These guys opened up their studio just last year after having previously operated from an apartment, and have been producing some nice work. Jasmine the owner is an extremely prolific artist producing work at a crazy rate of output. It’s a little stylised, so might not be what you’re looking for, but worth a look. She’s not cheap though, but then she’s using high end inks, and I know she recently picked up a Dragonfly tattoo machine.

There’s another great studio in Chengdu but I don’t have any details to hand. I’ll add them later on.

Here’s a couple of shots of the work in progress I’ve been having taken care of at Tattoo Temple HK, and I’ll hopefully be back there in April to finish up with Joey/Wang. Joey currently has a 2+ year waiting list.

Participant
    Quote:
    Are you sure it’s not called Qing Gui? Someone was telling me about that place last night. The artist there, a girl (can’t remember her name) is widely said to be the most skilled tattoo artist in Chengdu.

Pardon, you are right, it`s called Qing Gui. I have called them yesterday. One of the masters charges 800RMB/h, other one – 1200RMB/h.

In Chengdu time spent on sketching is charged or not? I mean if I have a ready sample of actual size, will master charge for the time he transfers the image on my skin or the time actually starts when the machine starts working? 🙂

No one should be charging you for ‘sketching’ or drawing any design. Tattooists charge by the needle/machine running time, so you only pay for application of ink. The only way you’d pay for drawing is if you were to redesign a first draft, and even then you still might not need to. Have you spoken to any artists here yourself to clarify any of this? Keep us posted.

Participant

Brendan, allright, as soon as I have answers for these questions, I will share.

Meanwhile, what were your considerations when you were choosing tattoo with the skull as the main object. What does it represent for you?

Participant

UP.

Brendan, I have got no weibo account, so i couldn`t able to check the works of the lady you were talking about. Could you please paste some of them here?

Quote:
    Meanwhile, what were your considerations when you were choosing tattoo with the skull as the main object. What does it represent for you?

Not sure I’m about to give too personal a description of what this represents on an open forum, and it’s only around 50% complete so far. I will say the main skull essentially represents the darkness within my psyche, and the presence of death in and around us. When it’s ‘finished’ it will be a full sleeve over shoulder, with plan to have Joey place a thick brush stroke ‘X’ over my left chest, intertwined by elements from the sleeve. It’s taking me forever to get my head around finishing the design.

Jasmine’s QQ is 305341382,or you can call her on 18608005993.

Here’s some images of her tattooing herself…

a79bbd22gw1dxdpv0vnopj.jpg

Participant

Strange. Has shown my picture to the guy from Qing Gui – he has stated that it cant be done, because its not a tattoo picture. Didn`t explain yet, what does he mean by tattoo pic.

For Jasmine it`s fine. But she charges 1grand per hour. And it willtake her app. 2.5h to make relatively small tattoo

Participant

Went to Jasmine today. Was lucky enough, made appointment the very same day.

What can I say. Apartment turned into studio. Cozy and at the same time professional environment.

Jasmine herselfdoes not speak English, but there are some friends of her, who speak fluently. Which makes overall process much easier and comfortable.

I have paid 2000RMB for 2 hours of work. She does have butterfly, as Brendan said, used for contouring and the second machine for shadings and fills-up.

Sketching as well as breaks were not charged. She turns on and off timer in accordance with the fact whether machine is running.

You can buy an after-care cream there as well.

Overall, great experience. She is really experienced one and offers her suggestions on design. Can`t judge shadings yet, have to wait for tattoo to cure. Slim lines are fine, and I would estimate the work as 8-9/10.

地址:一环路东四段41号(牛王庙至水碾河之间,舞东风隔壁)蓉上坊1期3栋31楼7号

Studio works from 2 to 7 PM.

84439993 – phone number.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.