Teaching at Disney English

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionTeaching at Disney English

• This topic has 16 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Avatar photoIan.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just saw this and I thought I would share this to everyone for kicks.

Disney English Foreign Trainer in China

No one speaks the language of children better than Disney, and nothing captures their imaginations more than a great story. Disney English combines the art of Disney storytelling, breakthrough language learning methodology and innovative technology to inspire learners’ passion for English. Since the opening of our flagship Center in Shanghai in 2008, Disney English has been sharing the gift of English with thousands of children across China. By providing an award-winning academic curriculum and engaging children with their favorite Disney stories, songs and characters; Disney English creates a fun, lively, and highly effective learning environment.

An opportunity with Disney English allows you to make a difference in the lives of children, all while receiving ongoing professional development and gaining valuable experience within The Walt Disney Company. The role of Foreign Trainer could be the experience of a lifetime. Bring your talent, creativity and unique experience, and discover why a career with Disney is the opportunity you’ve been looking for.

Position Overview

Foreign Trainers are responsible for providing a highly engaging and effective learning experience to learners aged 2-12 through the delivery of innovative and immersive Disney educational content. The Foreign Trainer is responsible for ensuring measurable academic results in a fun and lively learning environment, delivering an outstanding service experience to learners and parents, and collaborating closely with their Learning Partner.

Responsibilities

• Deliver curriculum with energy and enthusiasm, using immersive learning techniques such as story-telling, singing, dialogue and role playing in combination with formal exercises

• Communicate with learners in an engaging, age-appropriate way, ensuring that language learning is both effective and fun

• Measure progress and educational results through the delivery of formal and informal assessments and progress reports

• Collect audio & visual portfolio material of learners’ work and progress during lessons to share with parents

• Partner closely with the Learning Partners to maintain strong relationships with parents, ensuring high level of program engagement and outstanding service, by communicating both in person and through our online portal

• Contribute to Center’s success by leading engaging demonstrations of Disney English lessons for potential learners and their parents

• Participate in various marketing and referral events to drive learner enrollment as needed

• Ensure classes are run efficiently and start and end, as scheduled

• Prepare print materials, technology and supplemental materials prior to the start of each lesson

• Deliver private lessons as required, due to learner absences or for learners that are falling behind

• Contribute to overall Center success by ensuring consistently high learner renewal rates, through the delivery of great service and measurable learner progress

• Participate in regular safety and security training and drills, understand and execute the Center’s Emergency Response Plans

Basic Qualifications

• 12 to 24 months of post-bachelor’s education experience

• English language fluency including but not limited to: proper grammar, sentence structure, word tense, subject-verb agreement, and proper use of adjectives and adverbs

• Demonstration of a neutral accent, clear pronunciation, good intonation and English language rhythm

• A passion for educating young learners and a keen interest in their development

• Ability to command the attention of large groups of children in an engaging and compelling manner

• Energetic, enthusiastic, animated approach to storytelling and delivering content to learners

• Ability to thrive in a fast paced, high-change work environment

• Professionalism in oral and written communications

• Customer-service oriented with creative problem solving skills

• Ability to relocate to China for a 12 to 15 month contract

Preferred Qualifications

• Internationally recognized TEFL or TESOL certification

• Experience traveling internationally and/or working abroad

• Familiarity/affinity with the Disney brand

Required Education

•Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution

Compensation and Benefits*

• 10,000 – 15,000 RMB monthly salary

• PLUS 3,000 – 4,850 RMB monthly housing allowance

• PLUS 7,000 RMB training bonus

• TEFL-C certification

• Health and dental Insurance (Chinese based insurance company)

• Minimum 40 hour work week (20-25 contact teaching hours) including evening and weekends

• Paid sick and vacation time, plus 11 Chinese national holidays

• 3 weeks hotel accommodation upon arrival in China

• Robust academic training

• Paid airfare to China and a monthly travel stipend toward return trip

• Rosetta Stone Mandarin license

• Silver pass (limited theme parks admission pass)

• Disney discount

*Benefits subject to change.

Beijing
    Chengdu
    Guangzhou
    Hangzhou
    Nanjing
    Ningbo
    Suzhou
    Tianjin
    Wuhan

Participant

PRETTY AWESOME DEAL, RIGHT!?

Keymaster

Disney English? I had no idea that was even a thing. Where’d you find this?

It doesn’t pay bad, I suppose it figures out to around 180 yuan per hour of teaching, at 25 teaching hours per week. I had no idea that “Disney English” was in Chengdu, but this would be a pretty well paying English teaching job. I imagine their curriculum must be pretty rough to teach though unless you really love young children and Disney characters.

Participant

It’s a lousy deal, sorry. Forget all the irrelevant details. Just look at total hours divided by salary. 40 hours MINIMUM. The holidays, plane ticket blah blah blah means nothing. This is why guys continually break contracts here. They get dazzled by all the extraneous shit, then one day he/she hits the bar and his buddy says “I make 150 for 45 mins teaching ADULTS”. Guy/girl goes home, looks at hisher contract with all these extras, does the math, quits next day…

Keymaster

It’s a lousy deal, sorry. Forget all the irrelevant details. Just look at total hours divided by salary. 40 hours MINIMUM. The holidays, plane ticket blah blah blah means nothing. This is why guys continually break contracts here. They get dazzled by all the extraneous shit, then one day he/she hits the bar and his buddy says “I make 150 for 45 mins teaching ADULTS”. Guy/girl goes home, looks at hisher contract with all these extras, does the math, quits next day…

That’s true, including weeknights and weekends, too. Who knows where this place even is.

When I first came to Chengdu I was staying with a Canadian friend who was teaching at a kindergarten (I think it was a kindergarten) called Kid Castle. The preferred teaching method there was songs and dances and generally pretty tough material for a guy in his 20’s. I imagine this Disney gig is like that except with Snow White, Mickey Mouse, and the rest of their IP.

Participant

Ray has got a very valid point. Unless you want to teach little kids it will probably suck your soul right out. The location isn’t bad in Chengdu though, it is on first right road and fuqing lu on the northeast side of the city.

Participant

Look at it this way: sitting in an office, usually doing nothing, under the pretense that “students or parents may want to ask you some questions” is foregone revenue. In that time, you can be supplementing this meagre salary by doing the high-paying part-time gigs, the VIP corporate stuff. My “full time ” gig is 15 hours per week. Its not a stellar salary, but its OK. This gives me ample free time to do the bill=paying part-time jobs, hit the gym and read the collected works of Dr. Seuss. Golden Rule of school contracts here: Keep It Short and Simple…
    oh yeah, teaching little monsters should be paying at least 30% over teacing big monsters, even in salary-static Chengdu

Participant

A riding buddy of mine actually works there. The stories he tells, holy hell, haha!

Keymaster

A riding buddy of mine actually works there. The stories he tells, holy hell, haha!

Now you know you gotta share those…

Participant

Unfortunately not mine to share.

Participant

What if I bring some home-brew over to the store one night….? We don’t have to talk directly to one another. You can drink good beer and tell the stories to your dog, Peggy. You can tell Peggy, right? I’ll just hang out nearby and look at all the pretty colors in the shop.

Participant

darn, i wanted to hear those stories.

Participant

I worked at Disney English for two years. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. It looks like a sweet gig as a job description but it it is a mess. Beyond the teaching you have to do (imagine 10 classes of about 15 four year old students!) you have to do degrading demo classes, parent-teacher conferences, and have to pressure the parents to sign up for another year. It’s extremely sales-focused. As a teacher, what really alienated me was the fact that the company was willing to hire anyone because they had constant teacher shortages. They used to only hire native English speakers (odd for an English language training program, right? No!) but then they opened it up about a year ago to anyone. The quality of the program went downhill fast. I was teaching with other people I couldn’t even understand. The refunds from parents were outrageous. You do work nights and weekends and it gets old fast. I was like a zombie as I was eating my dinner at 10:00pm on a Friday night and then expected to be in bright and perky by 8:30am on a Saturday.

There are actually 2 Disney English centres in Chengdu. To be honest, you can get equal or better pay at so many schools in Chengdu. It’s a much different market here than in other cities. Disney English makes more sense if you are coming to China for the first time and don’t know anyone. If you are already a local on the ground, you can get a much better job.  That’s the main reason I left. I realised that other schools were willing to pay me more because I was professional.

Participant

Hi All,

Can someone recommend a good English school for my 6 year old daughter? She lives between Sichuan Radio Tower (四川广播电视塔) and Dacisi Road/Dongfeng Road. Both areas are near the Jinjiang Mianjiang river, eastern part of Chengdu.

Thanks, Lee

Participant

Lee I pm you with some details

Participant

Thanks, Ian. I sent you a reply back.

Participant

I didn’t get w reply

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.