Teaching Jobs in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionTeaching Jobs in Chengdu

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi everyone

I am thinking about teaching English as a second language in Chengdu and would like to work in an established language school.

I know just because I am an English native speaker doesn’t automatically mean I can teach English but I admit that I want to work in an environment which allows me to learn as well as teach such as teacher training and encourage new teachers to grow professionally as well as personally.

Could anyone recommend good institutions in Chengdu and when do they begin to recruit or when is it best to start applying.

I would appreciate any advice or signpost me to the relevant institutions thanks again.

Diamond

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I know just because I am an English native speaker doesn’t automatically mean I can teach English

Actually, it does!

Quote:
    I want to work in an environment which allows me to learn as well as teach such as teacher training and encourage new teachers to grow professionally as well as personally.

Most schools will probably just want you to speak native english and look white. It sounds crass but it’s the truth. You can find a job teaching english in Chengdu though, for sure, but you might have to network a bit. Meet some other english teachers in Chengdu, check out ads (which are always posted) looking for english teachers in western restaurants and keep your eyes open for job opportunities.

If you search the forum you can find other threads where people recommend schools that are reputable in the city.

Good luck!

Participant

Thanks Charlie I will begin to research but the looking ‘white’ part will be difficult because I am not white. A friend of a friend works in a really good school in Chengdu and even though she is a native speaker and way too qualified to work as an esl teacher she does get discriminated against for not being white which is hard to believe. Which is why I don’t want to be treated like that but I am aware this will happen to a degree which is the reason I want to hear from other esl teachers in Chengdu who can point me in the right direction.

Diamond

Participant

You can still get jobs, absolutely, but you will get knocked back a few times. I know it sucks, but try not to be too sensitive about it. Things are changing quickly, but this aint the most enlightened place in some ways. my school currently has a Pakistani teacher and an African-American, so not all discriminate.

Participant

Im asian american and the company i work for treats me well. Had yet to be discriminated upon, minus the taxi fares and what not.

Participant

Hi thanks for the advice so far and I have been trying to do some research and looked at job advertisements on the internet.

Does anyone know of English First, Hampsons and Sunnys English club in Chengdu what are they like and if I should contact them for Esl positions.

Cheers

Diamond

Participant

I work for Golden Apple. Research them, its a great company and if you like kids, this wouldnt be a bad place to work.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I work for Golden Apple. Research them, its a great company and if you like kids, this wouldnt be a bad place to work.

Yeah, Golden Apple is trustworthy and pays well from what I’ve heard. A lot of people I know have worked for them and I haven’t heard anything bad before.

Quote:
    Does anyone know of English First, Hampsons and Sunnys English club in Chengdu what are they like and if I should contact them for Esl positions.

I’m not sure about those places… Meten (previously Metro) and New Oriental are reputable, along with Golden Apple as mentioned above. And of course the universities like Sichuan University.

Participant

Hampsons is the worst school in Chengdu. Don’t do it.

Forgot about Sunny’s English club. They’re just a recruiting front. They’ll send you to a town outside of Chengdu and take 20% of your monthly income

You can do a much ‘research’ online as you want, and listen to people’s critism about former employers. if you really want a job, you just apply everywhere and see what kind of vibe you get from the interview

Hampsons isn’t bad as long as you accept their conditions. I know teachers that have been working there for over a year now, and that don’t have a bad thing to say. I still wouldn’t work there, but again, personal preference…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.