Thanksgiving in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionThanksgiving in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 101 total)
  • Author

Well, Thanksgiving is close. Any ideas of what we can do?

Participant

Turkey day coming up. :D. If you can, lets do fried turkey!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Turkey day coming up. :D. If you can, lets do fried turkey!

+1 on that idea

Participant

I don’t know exactly where you can buy a turkey here aside from seeing something somewhere indicating that Leanna’s Bakery is taking orders for them.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I don’t know exactly where you can buy a turkey here aside from seeing something somewhere indicating that Leanna’s Bakery is taking orders for them.

Most Western restaurants have turkey on Thanksgiving, I’m sure that you could acquire a turkey here without much issue.

problem is where to cook the bird and how are we going to do this? Go to a restaurant or have a party at someone’s house and everybody bring a dish or a party at a bar and everybody bring a dish? I have a roof top, can do roof top BBQ if everybody chip in.

If you guys wanna do it, need to let me know a week before thanksgiving so I can start shopping and marinade the meat. I dunno hwo to do the turkey tho, but I can do the gravy. Also, I would like to have some girls over to help…If you guys wanna do it.

I might be up for doing this at mine, though my oven isn’t huge, so I’d be limited to how much I can cook in there. We need a cook co-op!!

yeah, my oven is small too…but I’m in!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I might be up for doing this at mine, though my oven isn’t huge, so I’d be limited to how much I can cook in there. We need a cook co-op!!

Great idea, your spot is a good place to host. It’ll be maxed out with about ten people though. A rooftop would be great assuming it’s not too cold in the evening.

Let’s hope it’s not gonna freaking rain on that day!

Quote:
    We need a cook co-op!!

I’d love to volunteer for the co-op. Let me know!

Participant

Our oven is tiny too. That’s why I thought the frying idea was a pretty good one. Most fryers I’ve seen run on the small propane tanks. Are those available here?

Participant

Also, if there is any ingredient that can’t be found here then let me know ASAP and I might be able to get some shipped in time depending on what it is.

Participant

You can watch some stuff on youtube on this. Its hilarious to watch some failed turkey frying expierence.

When my friends did it last year (and every year), they use a big pan with propane. Also allot of peanut oil. Not sure what degrees, but it cooks for nearly 2 hours or so. It comes out PERFECT!!!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Our oven is tiny too. That’s why I thought the frying idea was a pretty good one. Most fryers I’ve seen run on the small propane tanks. Are those available here?

I don’t think anyone has a fryer so that will probably be the most difficult thing to locate. Anyone have any ideas on that?

If not, rooftop barbecue works as well.

IF it doesnt rain.

Just received an email from K C Meats which might be of interest to you Thanksgivingers….

It’s Turkey time again!

This year we have available whole frozen turkeys.

Size range 6kg – 7.5kg (13 – 16lbs approx)

Price per kg 60rmb.

We need your orders emailed in by Friday 18th November for delivery Thanksgiving week.

This is awesome Ben, thanks for the head’s up.

I want to start making plans for this shortly, so if you’re coming, let me know. I’m going to be roasting as big a turkey as I can fit in my oven, along with a few roast yams, but outside of that it’s you guys who are going to have to fill the blanks.

Let’s get a list going of who’s coming, and what you’ll be bringing with you. I may have another large table in the apartment this weekend, but then chairs will still be needed. I’ll see if any are available from my apartment complex, but any ideas meanwhile are good.

Let’s throw some ideas about for the next few days, and see what we come up with.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 101 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.