Fortune Global Forum in Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduFortune Global Forum in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

We are nearing an important event in Chengdu, the 12th Fortune Global forum.

Here’s some more information:

http://www.fortuneconferences.com/global-forum-2013/

Participant information:

http://www.fortuneconferences.com/global-forum-2013/participant-information/

Contacts:

http://www.fortuneconferences.com/global-forum-2013/contact/

The city is going to be a gong show.  Exit now!!!

Participant

Don’t really understand the hype around this. Just a bunch of rich CEOs invited to gather together to rub shoulders.

pro: pollution down, streets prettier
    cons: internet censorship up and speed down

Participant

The whole reason they built the new 2nd ring road.

Keymaster

Don’t really understand the hype around this. Just a bunch of rich CEOs invited to gather together to rub shoulders. pro: pollution down, streets prettier
    cons: internet censorship up and speed down

I feel the same way. I don’t really get why this is such a big deal.

Pollution does seem to be way down. I hadn’t even thought that it was related to the forum until someone else suggested that to me yesterday. Makes sense, though.

I noticed this morning that police were on the subway this morning manually scanning each person after they come out of the x-ray. I asked why and they said it was because of the forum.

The city has been on (relative) overdrive since April trying to pretty up all key areas, it’s nothing short of ridiculous. What we are basically witness to is the horrendous ineptitude that is the consistent norm at all other times, but now that we have a bunch of money men coming together to be dazzled on the peoples coin, it’s all systems go. Anyone notice that the baggage trolleys at the airport are all spanking new!? Money well spent. Notice how there’s still no pens on the immigration card desks? Business as usual.

Participant

The pollution is down because they seeded the clouds on Friday night. Cafe Dak is not allowed to place one small table and two small chairs outside until it’s over.

All that glisters is not gold;
    Often have you heard that told:
    Many a man his life hath sold
    But my outside to behold:
    Gilded tombs do worms enfold.
    Had you been as wise as bold,
    Young in limbs, in judgement old
    Your answer had not been inscroll’d
    Fare you well, your suit is cold.

Keymaster

The pollution is down because they seeded the clouds on Friday night. Cafe Dak is not allowed to place one small table and two small chairs outside until it’s over.

The skies have been pretty clear for over a month now. The weather has been fantastic recently. Yesterday I had dinner with friends who were sunburned from being at the pool in Chengdu! I can’t remember the last time I even heard that.

Participant

Astonishing how much construction has finished in the last week or so, and I can see no negatives in that…quite a relief to not have blind corners everywhere from construction barricades when I’m out and about on my bike or motorcycle.

Astonishing how much construction has finished in the last week or so, and I can see no negatives in that…quite a relief to not have blind corners everywhere from construction barricades when I’m out and about on my bike or motorcycle.

Agreed, but again begs the question why haven’t we seen this level of efficiency until now. The whole city has been chewed up by viaduct and metro construction, leaving the roads in barbaric condition. Only now do we have selective road resurfacing, which as a cyclist is great when you happen to find yourself on new tarmac, but how often is that? I’m still avoiding road cuts, holes, missing or sunken drain/manhole covers like the plague. From a construction perspective I’ve seen some serious shortcuts being taken also.

One word: Dressage.

Participant

20 years ago i was one of the guys dressed in black, throwing stones and hurling epithets outside meetings like this. Sure it’s ass-licking and sycophancy on a humiliating scale (please come to our fair city) but the reality is, a few major foreign investments on an Intel scale, and the circus looks like a good investment. And cynical about this shit or not, they have pulled a pretty impressive roster of major business and economic bigwigs (no Krugman however. Not surprising given some of his anti-China sentiments). Shit, i am a treacherous sellout after all….smash a Starbucks window? Man, they have free wi-fi now….

Participant

Events like this can looks not useful for us but maybe better for local economy and for everyone…

Today I took subway and police checked me because i have a bottle of red wine for a customer… no problem but sure a little annoying…

Keymaster

today I took subway and police checked me because i have a bottle of red wine for a costumer… no problem but sure a little annoying…

I think they’re searching everyone – locals, expats, etc. I suppose it will be for at least the next few days. I’ve also noticed increased police presence on the street (it’s already been higher than normal over the last few weeks). Not to mention the significance of today in particular (it commemorates a certain event that occurred in Beijing in the late 1980’s!)

Participant

So much for air quality today…AQI 170 at the moment. But on a more positive note, with some of the road construction some very cool sculpture has also arrived. Under the new Second Ring Rd & South Renmin instead of a gaping gnarly pit, there’s an awesome sculpture park. Several bronze sculptures depicting traditional Chinese life, a couple of inscribed granite walls, and landscaping now decorate the newly refurbished entrances of the Shu and framing shops that were there before. It’s incredible what has been completed in the last two months. This spot is a bit on the Jinli side, but the artwork is still impressive, AND it’s impressive that a government would be clever enough to realize public art also can attract business.

I’m confused about all the ads about this all over the city. It’s not as if commoners can buy tickets and participate. It’s an invite-only event, so why advertise it?

On another note, I hear that Michael Dell is in the city.

Keymaster

I’m confused about all the ads about this all over the city. It’s not as if commoners can buy tickets and participate. It’s an invite-only event, so why advertise it? On another note, I hear that Michael Dell is in the city.

Me too. I actually saw the ads in San Francisco recently too. One thing I don’t understand is the “China’s New Future” (新未来) part – isn’t the future new by definition? It seems like a poorly thought-out ad which they threw a mountain of money at, to put it up on walls around the world. I wonder why they didn’t hire an international advertising agency. I don’t know that they didn’t, but looking at that ad, I’m assuming they didn’t.

On another note, I hear that Michael Dell is in the city.

I was sent this link today which lists all the participants – it is a gigantic list. Not a lot of people that I recognize though, with the exception of a few: Hank Paulson, Chris Dodd, Yao Ming, etc.

Several bronze sculptures depicting traditional Chinese life, a couple of inscribed granite walls, and landscaping now decorate the newly refurbished entrances of the Shu and framing shops that were there before. It’s incredible what has been completed in the last two months. This spot is a bit on the Jinli side, but the artwork is still impressive, AND it’s impressive that a government would be clever enough to realize public art also can attract business.

That does sound cool, I’ll look out for that next time I pass through there. Overall, second ring road looks pretty impressive. The size of it is gargantuan.

I’m confused about all the ads about this all over the city

I’m confused about them too, why are they mud brown colour!? I’m also confused by all the floral ‘FORUM’ displays dotted about the city. It screams of ‘nothing else going on here’ if I’m being driven around and all I see is this, and those bloody awful panda at podium billboards. Nil points.

Anyone notice the exponential upsurge in dudes wearing traditional Kung-Fu outfits? I kid you not.

Participant

Blah. I hate the fact that 362 days a year people couldn’t care less about following the rules and all of a sudden a couple rich criminals come to town and everyone is hyper-sensitive. Everyday for the past 2 months I have gotten on the subway at the same stop at the same time carrying the exact same things in my bag and have never been stopped, but today I was stopped and searched because of a metal business-card holder. I came very close to losing my cool seeing as I was on the phone and knew I had nothing that could possibly be construed as being dangerous.

Keymaster

Blah. I hate the fact that 362 days a year people couldn’t care less about following the rules and all of a sudden a couple rich criminals come to town and everyone is hyper-sensitive. Everyday for the past 2 months I have gotten on the subway at the same stop at the same time carrying the exact same things in my bag and have never been stopped, but today I was stopped and searched because of a metal business-card holder. I came very close to losing my cool seeing as I was on the phone and knew I had nothing that could possibly be construed as being dangerous.

Subway security is just for show. Watch what happens at rush hour: everyone’s bag sets off the x-ray alarm, no ones bag is ever checked. People walk through the metal detector, everyone sets it off, no one is checked.

The last few days I have been setting off three alarms daily on the subway: the x-ray machine which my bag is put into, the metal detector which I walk through, and the handheld metal detector which I’m scanned with. I’ve never even been asked to empty my pockets once.

Security in the subway is just going through the motions out of duty.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.