The Best Coffee in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionThe Best Coffee in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I nearly bought one of those Aeropress machines last year in Taiwan. I’d never heard of it before or since, so it’s good to hear some feedback on it.

The Aeropress brings a ridiculous value proposition – $25 for world class coffee. You could spend an entire weekend reading all of the Amazon reviews. If you aren’t trying to spend $400+ on coffee equipment, I would go straight to the Aeropress.

If you want a “real” espresso, you need an espresso machine which can create the 8-9 bar of pressure, but moka pots (aka stovetop espresso makers) get the job done too. This stuff can quickly get crazy expensive as Brendan says. But in my opinion this kind of equipment is like watches – you either buy something cheap that gets the job done, or you spend a ton on something that’s with you for decades.

Either way, I still enjoy the experience of going to Kaffe Stugan – they’re so friendly and knowledgeable – but otherwise I don’t feel the need to get coffee anywhere else!

Participant

Try as I might, I’m yet to find a single half-decent cafe latte anywhere in Chengdu. I’m told this is because all the cafes use UHT milk, which is reasonable (I certainly don’t want to drink local milk after all the melamine crap) but depressing. I guess it’s either switch to macchiato or drink tea.

BTW, I’m not overly excited about spending 400 bucks on a coffee machine, since I’ve been drinking plunger coffee for years and really like it. But it would make my girlfriend insanely happy so am definitely considering it as an anniversary gift : )

Merry Xmas, by the way : )

Participant

Try as I might, I’m yet to find a single half-decent cafe latte anywhere in Chengdu. I’m told this is because all the cafes use UHT milk, which is reasonable (I certainly don’t want to drink local milk after all the melamine crap) but depressing. I guess it’s either switch to macchiato or drink tea.

BTW, I’m not overly excited about spending 400 bucks on a coffee machine, since I’ve been drinking plunger coffee for years and really like it. But it would make my girlfriend insanely happy so am definitely considering it as an anniversary gift : )

Participant

$900 for the (Vintage) Atomic stove top… Damn that’s expensive!

Participant

Pug all-you-can-drink at sunday brunch: “Would you like a 9th cup sir?” When i leave that place i’m not walking, i’m B-O-U-N-C-I-N-G! Uncontrollable hand fidgets. it’s all good…

Participant

Pug all-you-can-drink at sunday brunch: “Would you like a 9th cup sir?” When i leave that place i’m not walking, i’m B-O-U-N-C-I-N-G! Uncontrollable hand fidgets. it’s all good…

Participant

Participant

Coffee geek dom

Participant

Coffee geek dom

Participant

Coffee geek dom

Participant

Italian Moka & Expresso support!

MOKA

Participant

MOKA

Participant

MOKA

Participant

Just out of curiosity, Federico, do you use the word “moka” for this type of stovetop percolator in Italy? In Melbourne (where pretty much everyone has one) we call this a “macchinetta,” which I always thought was the Italian word for it. I never heard the word “moka” until this thread.

Participant

Just out of curiosity, Federico, do you use the word “moka” for this type of stovetop percolator in Italy? In Melbourne (where pretty much everyone has one) we call this a “macchinetta,” which I always thought was the Italian word for it. I never heard the word “moka” until this thread.

Participant

Participant

Meanwhile back at the ranch… Most of us unwashed folks will have Nescafe. Quick, easy and ok.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.