The Day of Sentencing…

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionThe Day of Sentencing…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So, I finally got my sentencing date – today.. exactly 5 months *after* my court hearing, RE: the busted nose hit-n-run over whiteboy incident.

Sentencing took about 15 minutes. I was held up getting into court at ID check for no reason so judge ran out and brought me in at 1:30 for the 1:30 start. I went in the back to wait for them to do announcements/whatever, then decided I absolutely had to take a shit..so asked the police if I could use the washroom. They took me to one downstairs and said to hurry up, we’re about to start etc – I dropped trow and heard “James (they use my middle name for whatever reason) are you OK?” I said back, 我等了这边开庭5个月,你可以等我5分钟吧.. they told the court audience I was in the washroom and everyone waited patiently. The sentencing was already all written in entirety so I didn’t really care.

The judge went on saying he believed the evidence to be sufficient for the charge and that my defense showed that I didn’t confess or admit responsibility, and something about in line with our laws and protecting the people from criminal behavior I am guilty etc, but that since the other guy held responsibility as well there is no punishment.

I don’t even know what that means. Nobody could tell me afterwards if that means I have a crim. record etc, including my lawyer, he just said take the piece of paper they gave me/signed to the PSB and should be able to renew my normal work visa. I guess I’ll find out then.

If it was a guilty charge, I’d imagine they would have given some sort of probation at least? but no..nothing, so after he said that, it just ended – no real announcement… I said, “so..that’s it? I just go?” they said “wait, have to sign a paper” – signed, kept a copy, done.

It was pretty unorganized.

Participant

I suppose a congratulations is in order?

Participant

Real happy for you.Now you have a reason to celebrate!

Participant

I’m happy for you Rik!

Congratulations, you’re not being executed!

Participant

I’m a criminologist and I absolutely had to laugh at the absurdity of it all!!

But good news, congratulations Rick!

Participant

Thanks guys 😀 I’ll try to write up experiences on the incident, which may hopefully provide some advice (as in I know now how what should have been common sense interactions would have made this a lot less painful time-wise) with some details on the process and such soon.

Keymaster

Congrats, I think! Thanks for sharing.

You should write about the whole experience, I would be interested in reading it.

Participant

Phew! glad it is over.

looking forward to your story, nonfiction entirely of course。 lol

Participant

I recently heard an interesting This American Life program about a hapless American dude who had a minor run-in with the Chinese “judicial” system and ended up spending quite a bit of (otherwise very avoidable) time in prison, basically just because the whole process was too alien/bizarre/logic-defying for him to get his head around.

It’s good to hear that you fared a bit better, Rick.

Anyway, it’s fascinating listening and a good cautionary tale if anyone’s interested:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/448/adventure

Chinese checkmate

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.