The Lazy Pug (Restaurant)

HomeForumsIn ChengduThe Lazy Pug (Restaurant)

• This topic has 98 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Avatar photoEric.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Same for me. I’m down to join tomorrow night around 8pm.

Keymaster

Same for me. I’m down to join tomorrow night around 8pm.

I’m thinking around 730.

I’m thinking around 730.

Participant

7:30 good for me, lots of time for some free margarita action

Missed the tacos, but what I can say is, “WOW WTF WHY ARE THE CHIPS AND SALSA SO FUCKING AWESOME!?”

I couldn’t stop eating them. The chips are apparently made from scratch and have an awesome flavor and texture. The salsa isn’t a chunky style, but is still packed with flavor. Garlicky with a mild kick.

The pulled pork sandwich came with sauce options; I chose the pineapple ginger sauce, which is ok if you’re a fan of sweet. I was expecting something BBQ-y because I’m a huge fan of soul food, and this definitely wasn’t that, but still ok.

Also 12RMB SOL beers, Jose Cuervo shots, and free ladies’ margaritas on taco night? Done! THURSDAY GO-TO SPOT. The owners were also really cool. And, God, the chips. wtf. WTF SO GOOD.

Keymaster

12rmb Sol? They can’t be making more than a few yuan off that.

I’ll be there tonight around 7:30-8pm. Looking forward to it!

Participant

Yeah, i’ll hit the Pug about 8:45 -ish…

Participant

tigerkuma – going to a thing tonight but might head to the pug later though (again). i’m a little bit in love with the bartender who makes those painfully strong margaritas..

Sorry got an emergency at work on Thursday night. Who is up to organize something next week ?

So these past two (2) Thursday Taco Night / Free Margarita Night has been a blast, not to mention the awesome soft chicken and beef tacos, loaded up with lettuce and tomatoes. The guacamole was made at the bar with really fresh ingredients and was da bomb with the homemade chips and salsa. Also, got side order of sour cream to go along with the soft tacos.

I expect that Thursday night will be a good one for a while in Chengdu as long as the kitchen does not run out of the ingredients and the owners don’t raise the prices too much. It is hard to find better Mexican around here with such great preperation at relatively small cost, and the ladies drink free margaritas until 9pm, and they are the good ones… Let me know what you think

Keymaster

I’m there for sure this Thursday for taco night!

Participant

pug tonight!

Participant

First time I been to the Lazy Pug.. Got lost too. They should advertise that its on the basement floor.

Anywho, I love the ‘Pug.’ There are allot of Expats there, so it felt like home (mostly Americans, while other pubs are allot of British peoples). So the pub had the look of a lounge. I would rank them to a good lounge in NYC, the vibe was very similar; not too loud music, very knowledgeable staff and western toilets!!!

I could not comment on the food, because I had pizza. The pizza was ‘Mikes Pizza.’ Not sure if its common for ‘Mike’ to tend pizza there, but I thought he cooked out of his apartment.

If he reads this, he might know who I am, I asked him briefly about New Haven pizza, since pizza was originated there.

My review on the pizza, as compared to US pizza would be 6.5-7/10. I am a pizza dude and know my pizza well. It obviously ranks above the crap shit pizza known as pizzahut and dominos. The reason why I rank it 6.5-7 is that I had the best pizza in the world, Modern, so its hard to judge pizza against those standards. Heck, I even had ‘NYC’ style pizza which Mike keeps mentioning, but NYC is too broad. Not sure if he meant Manhattan or Brooklyn pizza, because there is a HUGE difference between them Brooklyn pizza. But nothing compares to Modern, Sally or Pepe’s, and #4 Bar pizza, all of new haven. I would say its a general bar quality pizza (Not a restaurant called ‘Bar’ thats in Downtown New Haven). Which isnt bad by any means.

Though what I do like about Mikes is that there isnt any heavy ‘after taste’ like most pizza parlors has. They use fresh ingredients so that their pizza has that higher quality taste. That is something I notice first and foremost. The pie was 12 inches, which is about a ‘small’ in the states. Price is about 11 US for a personal 12 incher (yea say that without a giggle), so thats similar as well.

Yet on the flip side, since its the only good quality pizza around, I would give it 8.5/10 for China pizza. Hopefully its common for Mike to cook pizza at the ‘Pug.’

Now mike as a person; Since I mentioned the New Haven style pizza, he kinda had an attitude. He might have been asked allot in regards to pizza, which I can understand, but hey, when someone misses pizza from home, theres no reason to look down on their customers. Not only that, he was in a band that was playing. I asked him to play some ‘Jason Mraz.’ He did not take kindly to that… Meh, I guess im not ‘white’ (im Asian American) to make an impact on him (excuse me because I had a few Jameson in me). Yet since hes the only OK pizza dude around, ill just have to suck it up and go to him, until me and a local New Haven county person here can try to mimic New Haven style pizza!

Damn if that New Haven pizza doesn’t sound like a 10 out of New Haven…

Participant

http://www.ctmuseumquest.com/?page_id=10625

Good and funny post to read in regards to pizza.

Yea, i just miss great pizza and home heh. China blues? Dont take anything away from the Pug, its a wonderful place, ill prob be there once a week or something (thurs?). Jameson is calling me and im not a drinker!

Keymaster

I’m gonna get my brunch on at the Pug tomorrow, looking forward to it!

Participant

Theres this bbq place on the 2nd floor, above the Pug. The bbq is GREAT!!!! I went there after rugby practice… The cost… 32 Yuan a piece for unlimited bbq! I spent 2 hours there, was worth every penny (i paid for everyone, 4 peeps). Def worth it! If anyone wants to do a bbq get together this would be a great place.

Participant

@JerryS: RE: “I asked him briefly about New Haven pizza, since pizza was originated there.”

I’m not sure what you mean by this.. pizza originated in Connecticut? News to me.

I started making pizzas here for myself, mostly focusing on making the best dough possible (to me :D). I love to cook. I also love to research what I cook 😀 That being said, in *broad* terms, US has 2 varieties of pizza..and it’s mostly related to the dough – Chicago (deep dish) or New York (thin crust). Of course there are hundreds of variety of both dough and pizza and names to match, but when someone says “New York” style in a broad term, it probably just means thin crust.

That being said, if you’re interested in trying, grab some of what they call “bread flour” here, a little olive oil, some salt, some garlic salt, 2/5 ratio of your dough in water, and mix up some dough in a bowl.. it’s not so hard to make a decent dough, then you can play with the recipe and try to replicate what you are calling the best pizza ever, all ya need is a toaster oven :D. You can buy oregano (or my preference, “Italian Seasoning” which is a mix of several other spices) which goes great on the bread beneath the tomato sauce too. Trick when you transition the pie onto the pan you’re going to cook it on, or baking sheet or whatever you got, heat some olive oil on the pan beforehand, and if you want to add some interesting texture/flavour option to the bottom of the crust sprinkle some corn meal beneath the dough when you’re done kneading it out.

** Oh, and if you want you can get ahold of some yeast, I actually brought some back this month from overseas cuz’ I couldn’t find any here 😀 I just use a little because I like my crust crispy and relatively thin..and the bread dough has a little rise in it on its own.

Anyone not yet making brunch at the Pug is missing out big time…

Endless coffee, awesome grub, and free donut balls!!! Yeah!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 114 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.