The Xiong Mao Thread

HomeForumsIn ChengduThe Xiong Mao Thread

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

edit: Nevermind! Xiong Mao is dead again, already!

To those who’ve been in Chengdu for more than a few years: Xiong Mao (the club) is coming back!

To those of you who don’t know what Xiong Mao is: Chengdu is about to have a really good club open! Finally!

I hosted Disco Death there, Andy Mac and dBassman hosted Yomofo there, and DJ Shadow and DJ Krush both tore that place up in 2011. All of that is already Chengdu legend. Now a new chapter begins, at a new venue, with the same name as before.

The address of the venue is 成都青羊区奎星楼街55号明堂创意工作区1号楼. I haven’t been there but I understand that it’s near Kuanzhai Alley.

The lineup for the first month is below, and unless indicated otherwise, all of these events are free. In particular I’m really looking forward to Conrank on the 12th and Oshi and gang on the 26th. Finally we have a place to host guys like this (they’ve both come to Chengdu in the last year and played at very underwhelming performance venues like the Hemp House and Lan Town).

Here’s to Xiong Mao’s success! I will update this thread as necessary with new information.

First Month Lineup

October 11th
    Soft Opening – Fridaze DJs

October 12th
    Soft Opening
    DJ Conrank (Rankadank Records)
    Plus Support

October 18th
    Fridaze DJs

October 19th
    Word of Mouth Night

October 25th
    Fridaze DJs

October 26th
    Halloween Special – The Drop Presents EP Release Party
    Crown Duels (UK) & Ariel Cammuso (ITA)
    Oshi (The Drop – Beijing)
    Plus Support
    50 rmb entry

November 1st
    Halloween Hangover
    Fridaze DJs

November 2nd
    Disco Death

Participant

Nice! I know that area has a lot of small bars and cafes, how big will the new Xiongmao be?

Excited about this. Chengdu nightlife has been to quiet since it’s been gone. The new location is much more convenient. Hopefully it will be managed better and become a great success.

Participant

I know that area has a lot of small bars and cafes, how big will the new Xiongmao be?

It’s about 200 sq. metres.

Participant

Wanna make some club photos. May I?

Participant

Slavsky, drop me a PM.

Participant

AM, sent. Though I`m not sure whether it will be delivered. Seems like the new PM system is quite tricky.

Participant

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Looking forward to seeing what’s in store at the new venue. Location makes great sense, easy to get to, plenty of food options near by too. Here’s hoping this is a go!

Participant

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Participant

Here is a map

This weekend we’ve got 2 special guests from Shanghai / London helping us with the soft opening

Friday night – Mood Supply

Saturday night – Conrank

Participant

Would love to come tonight, but because of the holidays I have to work all day Saturday!!!

Keymaster

Would love to come tonight, but because of the holidays I have to work all day Saturday!!!

Us too… I think almost everyone is working today. Xiong Mao last night was still pretty cool, there were a lot more people than I expected. In many ways it feels like the old Xiong Mao, albeit less than half the size, which is a good thing about 360 days of the year.

Keymaster

On Saturday the 26th is the first “big” night at Xiong Mao, featuring a bunch of a stellar out of town acts. Aside from Oshi (co-founder of The Drop in Beijing) there’s Crown Duels from UK and Ariel Camusso from Italy.

This will be the biggest night for electronic music fans in Chengdu in… I don’t know how long, but a long time.

Here’s more info on the night:

Stick ‘em up, punks…it’s The Drop, back for the 26th time with some badass bass for your mind.

This month we’re comin’ at ya like a ray, with a double helping of guest DJs: Italian bassy house bandit Ariel Camusso (releasing his new EP), and Crown Duels, a UK duo whose dirty lows are taking the bass scene to new heights.

For support, we’re pulling out the heavy artillery – Chengdu big guns Just Charly (Disco Death) and Nichefanlemei, will join OSHI, The Drop’s Bassmaster General, in support. Make no mistake, we’re never outgunned.

Tool up, and let’s smash some shit.

Lineup:

Oshi
    ARIEL CAMUSSO  
    CROWN DUELS
    Just Charlie
    Nichifanlemei          
    +
    VJ L3

Info:

Event Name :  The Drop Vol.25 (Special EP Release party)      
    Guest:   CROWN DUELS  (UK)  + ARIEL CAMUSSO (ITA)  
    Suport: OSHI (The Drop), Nichifanlemei (Xiongmao), Just Charlie (Disco Death)
    Date & Time:   Saturday 26th October    (09pm  to …Late)  
    Venue: XiongMao , MingTang Art Space,Kuixinglou Street 55#,Chengdu
    Cost: 50rmb  

Info in Chinese:

????????????The Drop?????????????????????

??????????????????????????????house??Ariel Camusso (????????EP)???Crown Duels?????????????????????????? 

?????????????——????Just Charlie (Disco Death) ? Nichifanlemei, ??The Drop?????OSHI?????DJ????????????????

????????????????

Participant

Unfortunately, due to technical issues, tonights Conrank show at Xiong Mao will be moved to the hemp house. We’ll keep you posted as to when the problems are resolved, apologies for any inconvenience caused

Unfortunately, due to technical issues

Oh bugger, I was planning to check the new venue out tonight.

Do we get to know what ‘technical issues’ you’re having?

Hope you get things sorted.

Participant

Do we get to know what ‘technical issues’ you’re having?

A few issues but the major one is inadequate sound-proofing. Working on that now, will let you know as soon as we get it sorted.

Keymaster

Unfortunately, due to technical issues, tonights Conrank show at Xiong Mao will be moved to the hemp house. We’ll keep you posted as to when the problems are resolved, apologies for any inconvenience caused

Noooooo… this is disappointing, Hemp House is so.. pedestrian by comparison. Hopefully Xiong Mao can get the kinks worked out soon.

Participant

Hemp House is so.. pedestrian ?

Working on that now

Forgive me for asking, but how did this get fucked up?

Did you need someone to come and take a proper look?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.